Theakstons Old Peculier Recipes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty sure Theakstons have dumbed it down now only listed at 5.6%ABV I reckon it was stronger back in the day.

When I was a lad they reckoned one pint put you over the limit for driving. Yeh remember the little barrel on top of the bar and they would only serve halfs in Derbyshire.

3 different forms of simple sugar? Why?

Can simplify this one to make a nice TOP

1 tin Coopers Lager
1.5 kg LME
0.25 kg medium crystal
0.1 kg black malt
0.35 kg wheat malt extract
0.30 kg dark brown sugar

Steep crystal and black malt, boil the strained liquor topped up to 4L with the wheat extract and sugar. Boil 20g of fuggles for 20 mins, turn the flame off and add another 20g of fuggles and dissolve up the LME. Dump into a fermenter, top up to 20L and add yeast.

I would normally go a liquid yeast but i suspect you arent up to that so S-04 is prob the best pick.

i wouldnt dry hop TOP.

You are looking at an OG of ~ 1.065 and an ABV of 6+%.

Hi,

First post as I am something of a newcomer to home brewing.

In fact, I was thinking of brewing this recipe as my first extract brew. Just one quick question - what's the best way to hop? Am I right in thinking muslin bags is the easiest approach? And you mention to add the 20g of Fuggles at the end of the boil - would you then leave the hops in the fermenting vessel whilst fermentation happens, or would they need to be removed at some point?

Sorry if this seems an obvious question!

Thanks

I would hazard a guess that they should be fine to leave in primary. I've made beers and left hop bags in them for well over a week and they turned out fine.

Rod said:
Dad�s Old Peculiar

1 can Coopers Dark Ale
460g Light LME
100g DLME
35g Molasses
350g dextrose
1kg Brew enhancer #2
15g Fuggles bittering hops
15g Fuggles Finishing hops
Safale S04 yeast

Add all ingredients except hops to 4 litres water

Bring to boil
Add bittering hops at 60 min
Add finishing hops at 5 min

Bulk Priming: 100g of treacle with water

26 litres

SG 1048
FG 1014

nice drop after 6 months in the bottle
Did any body try this 1? If so how did it turn out

3 different forms of simple sugar? Why?

Can simplify this one to make a nice TOP

1 tin Coopers Lager
1.5 kg LME
0.25 kg medium crystal
0.1 kg black malt
0.35 kg wheat malt extract
0.30 kg dark brown sugar

Steep crystal and black malt, boil the strained liquor topped up to 4L with the wheat extract and sugar. Boil 20g of fuggles for 20 mins, turn the flame off and add another 20g of fuggles and dissolve up the LME. Dump into a fermenter, top up to 20L and add yeast.

I would normally go a liquid yeast but i suspect you arent up to that so S-04 is prob the best pick.

i wouldnt dry hop TOP.

You are looking at an OG of ~ 1.065 and an ABV of 6+%.
After 3 weeks in the bottle this is simply delicious. Best English beer I have had since I left England 12 years ago.

I swapped lager can for Coopers Draught. And 350g of dark brown sugar. S-04 yeast.
20g fuggles boiled 20 mins. 20g into the fermenter in a chux cloth bag. 23 litres.

1015 after 12 days. Bottled at 16 days 1015.

Tucking into the 2 carb drop bottles now. Will move to the singles when thesehave been devoured but the PET bottles feel just as firm as the double drops.

Will be making this again as soon as a fermenter is free so I don’t run out!

Thanks for all the posts on here that made this possible. I should stop now.... but I’m going to have another. 😀

Back