Theakstons Old Peculier Recipes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philthy79

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Does anybody have any Theakstons Old Peculier KK recipies..or something very similar? Would love to try one out!!

Here's a link to an all grain Old Peculier recipe I used to make something very similar to the bottled stuff:

Recipe

If I was to do a Kit and bits version, I would probably do the following to 23L:

1 Tin Coopers Draught
1kg Light Dried Malt Extract
0.25kg Brown Sugar
0.25kg Dextrose
0.4kg Pale Crystal
0.15kg Dark Crystal
0.15kg Golden Syrup (preferably Lyle's but I used smith's and it was fine)

Steep your grains, strain the grains out, then boil the wort with the following hop schedule:
16g Fuggles 15 min
16g Fuggles 5 min

Add the cooled boiled wort to fermenter with the tin, malt extract, dextrose, brown sugar and golden syrup.

Safale S-04 is a good choice with this recipe.

Dry hop with 32g Fuggles after about 7 days.

I made something surprisingly similar to the above, using Coopers Draught and golden syrup, except I also put in a 2 kg minimash of bairds grain malt as well as the LDME and dex. Pretty strong but so is Old Peculier!

Here 'tis:

1 tin Coopers Draught
2kg Perle Malt (Bairds), 100g crystal malt, 50g carafa t3 [a black roast malt] ... Mashed 67 degrees
1kg LDME
450g Lyles golden syrup

25g Newport hop pellets 1 hour [this was a mistake, turned out too bitter, just the tin will do ]

2 plugs East Kent Goldings 30 mins
20g Green Bullet at flameout [experiment, gave nice fruity overtones]

Nottingham Yeast

When I was a youngster Old Peculiar was much stronger 1 pint put you over the limit for driving.

If I remember it was slightly sweet and mostly malty in character kind of like a milk stout without the sharp bitterness.

The recipe looks good but I would be inclined to double up the sugar amounts to give it some of the old peculiar Kick.

I will store that one for a Must Do Later.

3 different forms of simple sugar? Why?

Can simplify this one to make a nice TOP

1 tin Coopers Lager
1.5 kg LME
0.25 kg medium crystal
0.1 kg black malt
0.35 kg wheat malt extract
0.30 kg dark brown sugar

Steep crystal and black malt, boil the strained liquor topped up to 4L with the wheat extract and sugar. Boil 20g of fuggles for 20 mins, turn the flame off and add another 20g of fuggles and dissolve up the LME. Dump into a fermenter, top up to 20L and add yeast.

I would normally go a liquid yeast but i suspect you arent up to that so S-04 is prob the best pick.

i wouldnt dry hop TOP.

You are looking at an OG of ~ 1.065 and an ABV of 6+%.

Awesome guys

Thanks very much, I appreciate all the advice... will let you all know how it goes!!

:chug:

I would use the coopers IPA cab instead of the lager can.

All else Dr Smurto says +1

Definately needs fuggles.

Cheers,

Am hoping to get the ingredients on Monday from my LHBS, waiting for the current brew to finish.

Thanks guys!!

Dr Smurto,

Thanks very much for the recipe help - poured a few from the keg last night, it was delicious!! It came out at 6.8%...

Got a yeast starter all ready for the next batch i make up, from this one

Cheers!!

Dr Smurto,

Thanks very much for the recipe help - poured a few from the keg last night, it was delicious!! It came out at 6.8%...

Got a yeast starter all ready for the next batch i make up, from this one

Cheers!!

So what recipe did you end up going with? And yeast?

I think we need to see a picture of this beer, big dark ale that it is.

So what recipe did you end up going with? And yeast?

I think we need to see a picture of this beer, big dark ale that it is.

I used the Safale-04 with:
1 tin Coopers Ale
1.5 kg LME
0.25 kg medium crystal
0.1 kg black malt
0.35 kg dark brown sugar
40 gm fuggles

Steep crystal and black malt, boil the strained liquor topped up to 4L with the wheat extract and sugar. Boil 20g of fuggles for 20 mins, turn the flame off and add another 20g of fuggles and dissolve up the LME. Dump into a fermenter, top up to 20L and add yeast.

Off the top of my head I cant remember what the OG/FG was..

Am looking forward to doing it again - i have got myself an old non working fridge, that with a bit of ice (1.5L coke bottles) has kept my last brew (and lager one fermenting atm) between 12 - 16 degrees with the weather outside at 30..plus maybe next time use my own yeast cultivated from this and maybe? go for a fuggles/ek goldings mix.

I am well pleased! As my uncle said "Chuffin brill lad!"

:icon_cheers:

I used the Safale-04 with:
1 tin Coopers Ale
1.5 kg LME
0.25 kg medium crystal
0.1 kg black malt
0.35 kg dark brown sugar
40 gm fuggles

Off the top of my head I cant remember what the OG/FG was..

Am looking forward to doing it again - i have got myself an old non working fridge, that with a bit of ice (1.5L coke bottles) has kept my last brew (and lager one fermenting atm) between 12 - 16 degrees with the weather outside at 30..plus maybe next time use my own yeast cultivated from this and maybe? go for a fuggles/ek goldings mix.

I am well pleased! As my uncle said "Chuffin brill lad!"

Sorry to resurrect such and old thread. But, I just have to say that, I brewed this two weeks ago...primary for a 8 days...bottled using Lyles Black Treacle, and couldn't wait a whole week. 6 days in, and this stuff is BLOODY BRILLIANT. I am amazed at how good this is. I think I tweaked the brew day slightly, and the Black Treacle definitely helped. This is so close to the real thing that I've asked my mate back in the UK to source me a beer engine to serve it with. I'll be making this again, next batch I think.

This is only my third batch of homebrew I've made, the first was the can which came with the starter kit and the second was one which turned out nothing like I expected (and after researching, I now know why). But this recipe is absolutely amazing!

Thanks to everyone! :D

A happy Pom.

I'm glad you liked it and it has prompted me to put another batch down this as soon as the two fermenters are free!

Im going to put this one down today, only difference is im going to use wheat malt and not extract. Just need to figure out how much to use. Looks like a very nice dark, you wouldn't happen to have a picture of how it look?

Im going to put this one down today, only difference is im going to use wheat malt and not extract. Just need to figure out how much to use. Looks like a very nice dark, you wouldn't happen to have a picture of how it look?

No - I never took a photo.. maybe cosmic bertie did?

gravedigging.jpeg

:rolleyes:

A lot of dark strong beer can actually be made quite convincingly on kits and extracts where it's not too crucial to use an all-grain base malt. A lot of the flavour is derived from roasted / toasted malts, hops, dark sugars and the yeast - stouts in particular are a good bet, and I recently had a bottle of porter from a case swap that I'd definitely pay money for at Dan's - and discovered it was made on extract.

Heres a, not very clear, photo. I under carbonated it as it doesnt deserve to be fizzy...im just waiting for my beer engine to arrive from the UK to get it authentic!

IMG_0151.JPG

Hmm. I hope the photo shows up as I have no idea to how to use the text editing bit! :blink:

Dads Old Peculiar

1 can Coopers Dark Ale
460g Light LME
100g DLME
35g Molasses
350g dextrose
1kg Brew enhancer #2
15g Fuggles bittering hops
15g Fuggles Finishing hops
Safale S04 yeast

Add all ingredients except hops to 4 litres water

Bring to boil
Add bittering hops at 60 min
Add finishing hops at 5 min

Bulk Priming: 100g of treacle with water

26 litres

SG 1048
FG 1014

nice drop after 6 months in the bottle

There was a pub at Hexham near Newcastle (the real Hexham and the real Newcastle :p ) where they did it out of a little wooden cask "pin" on the counter, got absolutely paralysed on five pints of the stuff, back in the 70s. :icon_drunk:

Latest posts

Back