The Worst Beer I've Ever Tasted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pommiebloke

Reaction score
My brother-in-law is a tight-arse when it comes to spending money on grog. We had his family over for dinner last night and he had a six pack of "Tun Bitter" with him.

He turned his nose up at my AG amber ale (not drinking homebrew crap he said!) and was merrily chugging down cans of this stuff so I had to have a try.

Easily the worst beer I have ever had the misfortune of tasting. It literally smelled of sweaty gym socks and tasted no better. Harsh, chemical twang to it, insipid and watery and a disgusting aftertaste. I had to switch to the Johnnie Walker Black Label just to wash the taste out of my mouth.

Interestingly it seems it's made in the US for the Australian market.

tun.png

My F-I-L always ofers me a VB or a Storm Light from Aldi when I go there. Hence why I always make sure I take my own. My B-I-L on the other hand has jumped on board the craftbeer train thanks to coming with us to the Ballarat beer fest 2 years in a row so always has some great beers hes just brought to try.

Even the name of that TUN Bitter sounds rank.

made in the US for the Australian market
So it's a battle of who can produce the worst tasting piss? USA the "Budweiser" country, producing completely and utterly flavourless fizzy alcoholic water ... Or Australia the "VB" country, producing fermented horse piss chucked in with some Pride of Ringwood ...

I gave a Mexican (one from Mexico, not NSW) a glass of my Radieus/Chimay cross Dubbel last night and she said, "That's not beer!"

She really enjoyed it though - picked up on the dried fruit and banana and the toffee notes. Really liked it.

Funny how many people at a base level believe beer should not be all that enjoyable. Best served bland.

Ignorance is a big reason for people's beer tastes - they just don't know, so they go for the safe option. I can't believe how much Corona is being drunken round here these days - betcha it's outselling XXXX.

I'm pretty sure the worst beer ever made was duncan's best bitter. Home brand for the duncans chain of bottle shops in an orange can. A tight arsed mate brought a slab along to a camping trip once. Was undrinkable, even ice cold on a hot day.

Maxx Dry would have to be the worst beer I've ever tasted (haven't tried Tun). Corona is also high on the list.

A pot from what must have been a stale keg of hahn light. lets just say I couldn't finish it even though it was close to 40 degrees outside and I had been moving furniture all day.

I had to switch to the Johnnie Walker Black Label just to wash the taste out of my mouth.
To me, drinking that whiskey would be as bad as the TUN bitter :p

I'm blessed to come from Scotland ,where we manage to sell all of our Johnnie Walker to the rest of the world and don't have to drink any of it ourselves. :D

Econwatson said:
To me, drinking that whiskey would be as bad as the TUN bitter :p

I'm blessed to come from Scotland ,where we manage to sell all of our Johnnie Walker to the rest of the world and don't have to drink any of it ourselves. :D
I concur.
Johnnie Walker of any colour is still just river water.

Ryan WABC said:
Corona is also high on the list.
How does a beer that has virtually no flavour profile rank as a nominee for "the worst" beer of all time?

mikec said:
I concur.
Johnnie Walker of any colour is still just river water.
Single malt is my usual tipple. Laphroaig or another Islay single malt if I can get it.

The JW is for visitors who don't know any better. :D

The worst beer I've tasted was the half warm swig of one with half a Friday nights party full of ciggie and joint butts in it. Can still taste it and it was over 20 years ago!

gilbrew said:
The worst beer I've tasted was the half warm swig of one with half a Friday nights party full of ciggie and joint butts in it. Can still taste it and it was over 20 years ago!
Perhaps you should quit smoking.

pommiebloke said:
Single malt is my usual tipple. Laphroaig or another Islay single malt if I can get it.

The JW is for visitors who don't know any better. :D
Good man.

Glendronach is one of my favs - have to import it now, no-one sells it here.
Tassie is producing some very decent drops lately (and charging accordingly).

Yeasty Boys Rex Attitude.......... hands down winner in my books.

browndog said:
Yeasty Boys Rex Attitude.......... hands down winner in my books.
I had that last week and didn't find it all that hard going. Maybe the latest batch has made some concessions in the name of drinkability?

You could be right, I tried it about 18 months ago and found it to be something akin to washing out an ashtray with beer, then drinking that beer. Yuck.

Back