The Tip Of My Thing Fell Off...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Lacey

Reaction score
Pumpy innocently observed in a recent thread about bottling that the tip of his bottling cane "always falls off" and he loses a beer on the floor. You know, I have had exactly the same problem with those frigging canes over many versions that I have owned. And you know what? I don't think its acceptable!! Let's get a bit of consumer activism going here...those things a %%&'& blight on the hobby. When is someone going to start selling decent quality racking canes in Australia?? Sure those "Little Bottler" things are cheap, but who wants cheap when it spits your beer all over the floor???

Does any home brew retailer or wholesaler in Australia sell something like this or this?

And if not, why not? Little bottlers are just crap. IMHO of course. Any thoughts?

Steve

p.s. a friend of mine here in Japan has one of those Phills Phillers, and it is an absolutely beautiful thing. If a person was still a while away from kegging, one of these would be an essential investment.

I am with Steve , It gives just another reason for the missus to say

"Go outside and do that messy job next time" it humiliating just another reason to abuse me about my much loved hobby which for some reason she despises .

Pumpy

I have an old yellow bottle filler, the one with no spring, that just relies on gravity to operate it. I can only remember once, it coming off in an old beer bottle that was thick walled and the filler only just squeezed in, then came off in the bottle. Devil's own job to get it back out. This is in years and years of bottling.

Thank goodness I was using a snap tap, easy to turn off the flow.

The filler does drip a bit, and I use a towel on the ground to catch the stray drips.

Make sure, you don't use the best bath towels for this job, or you will really be in the bad books. Also, after bottling, wipe down the bench and cupboards and give the floor a quick mop. The cleaner you leave the bottling site, the more likely you will be allowed to keep using the same area.

pint of lager said:
I can only remember once, it coming off in an old beer bottle that was thick walled and the filler only just squeezed in, then came off in the bottle. Devil's own job to get it back out. This is in years and years of bottling.
[post="48384"][/post]​

Yes. But once is too many times! I agree that once alert to the problem you can wedge the pieces on harder and things are a bit better, but I still think these things, and maybe it is worse with the more recent batches, are prone to mishap and better quality devices are needed.

Steve,

I got one which is the same as that first example from Gerard Meares not that long ago. He's on this forum a bit, otherwise you can contact him here.

Was much improved on the standard filler you normally get and worked a treat, until my kegs came along B)

mine fell off ages ago & i just left it off.. can be a bit of a pain in the a*** working the tap but it seems to flow alot smoother without the tip anyways..

Thanks Duff. Yes, I know Gerard. We correspond from time to time. Glad somebody is selling those fillers locally. Top marks to Gerard. I still recommend the Phil's Phillers as being top shelf.

Steve

Yes Steve, the Listermann filler is very nice......until you leave it soaking in iodophor overnight. Turned it blackish in spots. I emailed Dan about this & it was the 1st he had heard of it.

Rgds,
Peter Wadey
Eastwood, NSW

Peter Wadey said:
Yes Steve, the Listermann filler is very nice......until you leave it soaking in iodophor overnight. Turned it blackish in spots. I emailed Dan about this & it was the 1st he had heard of it.

[post="48715"][/post]​

It was obviously not fully converted! :lol:

Back