The Third Hop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big d

Hopaholic
Reaction score
hi all
im planning my next brew.cj,s hop hourglass ipa.
the recipe calls for a hop blend.amarillo,cascade and centennial.
ive heaps of amarillo and cascade.
any thoughts on a third hop to replace the centennial as i dont think its available in oz.
this hop blend will go in every minute from 60 down.probably about 2g of each.building up to the 120 ipa :blink: :ph34r:

thoughts muchly appreciated

cheers
big d

Centennial is definately available (TWOC). It is similar to cascade but with higher AA (not as much aroma) and by itself it is can be a bit grassy I find. You could probably just use cascade in its place but perhaps change the amounts depending on if you are adding for AA (use more) or flavour/aroma (use less perhaps?)

cheers jasony
reckon i may go a bit extra with the amarillo seeing as ive got heaps.

hi goat
gutsy....yes i hope so.

cheers
big d

sounds good. maybe an english type hop? fuggles, goldings perhaps. or some saaz even. give it that grassy aroma? or whatever else you like. with a beer like this, its the perfect time to experiment.
joe

Can sub columbus for centenial - or put some Chinook in instead - that will complement it nicely.

thanks guys
still thinking long and hard about the third c (chinnok) may be too overpowering in bitterness gmk.you either love it or hate it.i know with time it mellows out well.this will be a beer i what to drink sooner rather than later so i can add/subtract items on the way to making it better.if it turns out well maybe next batch can have chinnok additions.if you get the chance try jayses brew day beer.sister star as that had about 3oz of chinnok by memory.that will let you know how chinnok goes in big beers.

cheers
big d

Step up Bigd. That is one beasty recipe.
You'll need some assistant brewers for the hop additions. I did on the Demon Ale and that was only half the hop additions of this baby.
Look forward to hearing how you go with it.

As for the third hop I believe Centennial is a Super Cascade.
So why not just use Cascade ?

Beers,
Doc

hi doc
batz sent me the more beer catalogue awhile back and amarillo is listed as a super charger cascade so im thinking mmmm cascade and amarillo wow.the recipe called for centennial as well but im thinking more and more along the lines of more cascade/amarillo.
only cascade would be great but looking in my fridge i see a very large bag of amarillo soooooo you know the rest of the story ;)

will keep you all informed.
would love to do it tomorrow but a lack of fermenters.unless of course i manage to change a cc container into a fermenter.mmmmm

cheers
big d

big d, if you are still looking, i know grain and grape have centennial plugs (or they did have) however i reckon that this beasty of an ale would blow your socks of either way.

Hi bigd,
I see chinnook has been mentioned but i would not use that, not even a little pinch of it. Unless of course you want to ruin the brew. :eek:

T.D.A's idea is a good one.
For mine i just used more cascade and amirillo and left out the centenial.
I have read even in the states centenial are in short supply at the moment and some stores are actually selling a mix of 80% cascade and 20% columbus as a sub for it.
I don't really like that idea to much, might aswell just buy both cascade and columbus and adding some of each yourself.

I like the idea of sticking with the two hops cascade and amirillo.
With 30-35 ibu off simcoe or northern brewer at the very start.

CJ in J aside from the little mad voices inside his head seems to be a unreal brewer and iam sure those little voices will have him going mad if he found out you ruined his brew with chinnook in it. :ph34r:

The only real other adjustments from his i did was leave out the 5 different crystal malts and went with just a smidge of cararoma and used extra munich malt.
Which from memory is what another brewer from HBA did also.

Happy brewing.
Do you have a robe and some sandles to where on the day :lol:
Also you'll need some one to sit there with a gong and bash it every five mintues telling you its time for the next hop additions.
even better seperate the five minute additions into one minute addition. jeez thats a lot of banging on the gong though.

Let us all know if you find zen.
Cheers Jayse

hi jayse
the one min additions will probably be a right pain.ive written another option which is hop blend cascade/amarillo 10g each @ 55 45 35 25 15 and 5.5 min upped to 20g each.simcoe @60m.20g.
playing with the malt bill at the mo as i havent got all the listed ingredients so am going 5.1kg pale
.3kg melanoidin
.15 caramalt
.15 crystal
.15 wheat

all up 90 ibu,s :blink:

cheers
dave

Big D,

Mate, some info on centennial.

The variety is a cross between two crosses.

One is Brewers Gold and fuggle and the other is brewers gold and an east kent golding AND a bavarian seedling of unknown variety.

So the makeup is,
3/4 Brewers Gold, 3/32 Fuggle, 1/16 East Kent, 1/32 Bavarian balance.. Unknown.
It is light green in colour and, Similar to cascade has a latent infection with mosaic virus.

Alpha is 9-12%
Beta 4-5%
Co-Humulone 28 - 32%
It has no citrus/floral aroma traits although is aromatic.

The male parent is similar to that of Nugget. (Which, in 1997 represented over 15% of the total US hop production at 17.9 Million lbs yeilded)

My suggestion, Use a lower alpha hop with low cohumulone. Cascade or amarillo may be the better bets.

Brewers Gold of course commenced life as a wild north american hop from Manitoba.

Hope this helps
Regards
Dave

thanx dave and everyone else for the help.im just going to stick with an increased dose of amarillo and cascade with simcoe as the bittering hit.

cheers
big d

Back