The Supermarket Challenge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're right rh1an5. Take things one step at a time, once you've mastered a few brews then try some different techniques and if they work for you then your on your way. I have brewed for a number of years and havent really found the need to "play" with things too much as in custom recipes and such. I have been able to find kits that I enjoy and tend to stick with them but try something new every so often just to see what else is drinkable.

Has anyone had any luck with the:

"Cascade Golden Harvest Lager"

I picked up the can of goo the other day as it was on special, thought I might be able to turn it into something decent.

Cheers, Pok

So does anyone have any hands down good recipes for this can of goo? Was thinking I might be able to turn it into something good for the upcoming case swap but do a double batch so i can keep a keg.

Pok

i have done a can of goo with one kilo of honey before, best beer i did iam sure it gav the beer more aklohol

Hi all, I am a new member to the site and found this thread, coldn't help but to dig it back up as I am interested to find out how some of the earlier "supermarket kits" in this thread have turned out. I think that my feeble K&K attempts of late have made it very difficult for me to swallow the commercial megaswills.

I have started to HB again just recently after acouple of years break with a newfound interest. I still have access to mainly my local IGA and Foodworks stores, nearest large supermarket is an hour and a half away.

I am presently fermenting a Coopers Draft supermarket kit with 500grams of LDME and 600grams of Dextrose starting gravity of 1042 and the yeast under the lid. I scored two of these for $4.99 each, they had just renovated the shop.I am going to do the next one the same but I will be using Safale US-05 yeast purchased form an online HBS and compare the two.

Reading posts on this site have inspired me to try other things rather than just using the kit and a kilo of CSR brewing sugar which by the way is mostly sucrose don't give me the lecture on this as thats all that I could get.

So how about it, lets hear how some of those cheapies turned out, I think I will be trying coopers europian lager next and the original stout how about some ideas of the fermentables to put with these.

i have done a can of goo with one kilo of honey before, best beer i did iam sure it gav the beer more aklohol

What sort of beer did you do this with? Sounds interesting. Was the honey flavour noticable in the finished product? As for the alcohol, it would only be the same as adding 1kg of malt/dex etc, wouldn't it? :huh:

Don't underestimate this thread, Maurice. It's been running at least warm for several months now and new people coming along and joining in regularly. I have my Bi-Lo Lager in the fridge fermenting at 20 degrees now, with 1kg of Brew Enhancer No 1 and the basic yeast - a total of $13.00 worth of ingredients. I don't expect miracles but I do think it will be quite drinkable. Haven't made a brew I've not enjoyed in almost a year now.

And don't forget that Coles also sell the Cascade tins, which are commercial-grade worts by any measure.

To be honest though, the brew that's impressed me most from the challenge so far is Cooper's Cerveza. It's quick, easy and very drinkable within weeks. A great little no-fuss beer. But I am looking forward to the Euro Lager in about three months from now (it's bottled).

Happy brewing. Tony

Hey Tony,

Yeap, the thread is still going and we've only just got around to drinking the HomeBrand Draught that I brewed up. We started it last Saturday night for the Wallabies game (another story) but my VB and Toohey's drinking mates loved it. For me it was a tad on the bland side but tonight they came back for more while the wife was away.

You can easily start thinking about adding hops or DME but that's not what this thread is about in my (not so humble) opinion. It's about a low cost drinkable beer that's super easy to make and forgetting for once about steeping this or that.

A nice challenge and something that I'll remember for the Christmas parties coming up. Some cheaper ingredients and brew kits and I can supply plenty of tasty beer for people to enjoy at a Christmas party. I'll get started in Sept for Christmas and see how everything goes. All should be great.

Thanks for the challenge, a great one!

Cheers
The Mauriceatron

on tap at the mo is a coopers bitter.
coopers bitter
BE#2
300gm DEX
kit yeast (16-20DEG fermented)

racked to keg dry hoped 12 gm chinook for somthing different and im enjoying it very much.

cheap and drinkable.

cheers.

Back