The story of my first AG Brew (Full disclosure - honest truth)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow going for HERMS on your first AG... that's dedication!

Stick with it, those slipups still happen as you brew more, just how you react to them with experience that makes it easier :)

idzy said:
... and partly I am hoping there will be a few, "oh yeah, never admitted it, but I have made a few of those screw ups too"

Cheers,
Idzy

Hey Idzy, mate, I've had a few of those 'lessons' happen too.

You may already have similar or been given this advice but in addition to all the info & expertise on this site, I found it really helpful watching other's brew days on youtube & using a checklist such as: www.brewersfriend.com/checklist-allgrain & use brewing software, I use www.brewmate.net, others swear by beersmith, etc

Cheers

I'm fairly new to it all so I try to write down as much as possible on brew-day. We have a few jars as we go so it makes for some pretty amusing reading later. My mash was missing ten litres of volume the other day. Thankfully (relatively) sober heads prevailed and we located it hidden behind it's source - the tap. Accurate measurement of everything and good records can be very helpful - Especially later when you might join in with the efficiency pissing contest.

431neb said:
Especially later when you might join in with the efficiency pissing contest.
I generally dont put much time into calculating my eff. (not saying you do either) it'll settle down as you get used to the system and process, it is handy however when working out your hopping schedule, the difference in gravities between a 65% eff and a 75% eff can make a maked change.

So using brewmate, I had 70% plugged in until recently when I upgraded the system, had a target preboil of 1.058 and got 1.065... so its a figure worth knowing... its just not worth banging on about it being the be all and end all of a brewday nor a measure of how great the resultant beer is because of it...

I still fail at records ;) (except in a very general and loose sort way.. been saying for years now that I need to do better there)

:icon_cheers:

Not only is it a 4v its my old one with a brewtroller control board, so theres learning that also!!

Well done!! its gets easier once you work it out you'll just come back to it when the alarm rings,

I've had brew days I've been looking after kids an playing pool just to pop my head back in the brew room when the alarm sounds to add hops, drain, and chill.. good system once you get use to it.

Cheers
gav

Yob said:
I generally dont put much time into calculating my eff. (not saying you do either) it'll settle down as you get used to the system and process, it is handy however when working out your hopping schedule, the difference in gravities between a 65% eff and a 75% eff can make a maked change.

So using brewmate, I had 70% plugged in until recently when I upgraded the system, had a target preboil of 1.058 and got 1.065... so its a figure worth knowing... its just not worth banging on about it being the be all and end all of a brewday nor a measure of how great the resultant beer is because of it...

I still fail at records ;) (except in a very general and loose sort way.. been saying for years now that I need to do better there)

:icon_cheers:

Agreed Yob. I can't help myself sometimes so I punch a few numbers into BeerSmith and go "WTF?" It does help me hone my craft.

I'm not a great one for records either but I find that if I write a loose narrative of brewday I can get some useful information and a giggle out of it later.

I have definitely had days like those. I have to say you really did go for the deep end when you decided to start brewing, I spent a good deal of time( more than a year) on the brewtroller forums, and I'd say if I had gone that way, or if I do in future, I am sure my first time out using that system will be another one of those days.

Latest posts

Back