The self serve checkouts are expanding into bars

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I HAVE ONE OF THESE AT HOME. ONLY IT DOESN'T CHARGE ME AND I CAN ONLY MEASURE IT IN AMOUNT OF SWAYING being done by those drinking.

SORRY caps :O

meh, as one guy in the article says, places in europe there are taps at the table and you pour your own and it meters the volume poured and you pay accordingly. all they have added it an RFID to stop people skipping out on the bill. unless you can autopay without going to the bar then its still a PITA. im not surprised they are pushing it as it makes it easier for people to drink more and thus they make more cash. its dangerous to run a tab and your not forking over your hard earned each beer and then get a nasty surprise at the end.

wow,i havent seen one of those before,being charged by the mls instead of per pot/schooner/jug is interesting.would be funny to wake up with a sore head,then check your empty wallet and see exactly how many drinks you had the night before as well.

Fantastic idea.
I'm all for eliminating a stream of income for non skilled workers and backpackers alike.

I would guess it wont fly here - reponsible service of alcohol - no bartender to 'gauge' you as you buy each drink.

Won't work.

RSA will never approve that unless it comes complete with a breathalyser.

RSA would still apply, read the last bit of the article:

Pouring your own beer at will; sounds like a free-for-all, right? Luckily (for employees) limits can be set for each bracelet, and the bar can deactivate the RFID as well. Now if only it would let you get yourself a buyback.

it would never be approved because australia always seem to find a way to limit fun (read: anything that could ever be taken to excess). anywhere in europe or the states? easy. here? never.

citymorgue2 said:
its dangerous to run a tab and your not forking over your hard earned each beer and then get a nasty surprise at the end.
I hear that!, I'm still haunted after turning up at my local pub after a day and night of drinking there to be greeted with a $400+ tab.......
If I have to que to get a drink I'm not likely to hang around that venue long anyway, I have an unusual preference of not being packed like sardines into a venue and having to yell conversations across a table.

I went to a place like this in Prague years ago and, yeah, got a nasty shock when I went to pay the bill. The novelty was gone fairly quickly after that.

You see tables of drunk dudes spilling it everywhere, tipping off layers of head etc., and paying for every millilitre of it.

Makes me wonder what is going to happen when they get rid of all the jobs.

booargy said:
Makes me wonder what is going to happen when they get rid of all the jobs.
We all sit around drinking beer letting the machines do everything for us.

When is was about 18 my mates parents sold their family pub,
on one of the last saturday nights before they handed it over, we had a massive free for all and were all over the place including behind the bar drinking out of the taps like a couple of Barney Gumble's.
I could easily see that happening again if we had a couple of those wrist bands,
I guess thats why the RSA stuff applies...to stop you having fun, and potentially spreading germs all over the taps,

I remember some 12 or so years ago when I was living in Cologne for a while there was a night club that after extensive renos suddenly decided to not take any cash or cards at the bar anymore. Everyone had a bracelet or tag or something (can't remember exactly) and all the drinks got charged to 'your account'.

That was all good until it was 6am and you had enough and quickly wanted to leave the fucken place. Walk around the corner to the exit to be faced with... A massive queue of people lining up to pay their account. Imagine lining up at 6am for 45 minutes because all those wrecked people are unable to pay their bill; IDs being copied, paperwork filled in, bouncers playing up and all that crap.

Last time I went to that place, and they had to change that system eventually, or so I remember hearing.

Latest posts

Back