The Sausage Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a pretty good site on sausage making and other home butchering things like bacon and prosciutto

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/

Cheers from ausdb who feels like making some more sausages!

Thought I would post a picture of my salami's hanging in the garage. I made the mix on friday and stuffed them on Sunday and then hang them that arvo. It is an all pork recipe with fennel, chilli, pepper, salt and capsican paste and once dry taste great! That is four kilos worth there. Next week I am going to do a 2 kilo batch with pork and beef, garlic and red wind and herbs etc - havent quiet decided on the exact recipe but more of a sopressa/pepperoni/calabrese style - okay that is way too many styles I will have to pick one!.

Any one else out there doing their own salami?

View attachment 13653

Go on, start the salami thread :super:

We finally got into this today, here is the recipe I used:

ITALIAN SAUSAGE
10 pounds pork (add about 20 percent fat)
4 tablespoons canning salt
3 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 once fennel seed
2 teaspoons anise seed
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes ( I use cayenne pepper instead)
1 tablespoon dried parsley
8 onces cold water

DSCF0814.jpg

DSCF0816.jpg

bangasnbeer.jpg

We will twist them into links tomorrow after a night in the fridge for the flavours to infuse.

Looks great Henno, looking forward to trying those at the Batz cave.

Andrew

CIMG1082.JPG

heres my snags drying away pork , salt , pepper , chilli , papriki sould be great second week of august

is anyone making there own sausages or salamis keen on a beer & snag swap day ?

View attachment 20276

heres my snags drying away pork , salt , pepper , chilli , papriki sould be great second week of august

is anyone making there own sausages or salamis keen on a beer & snag swap day ?

Mate they look great! How long have they been hanging? How much salt did you use (infact Henno what the heck is canning salt?) Is that the complete recipe??

Take a look at my latest salami that I made last friday on my salami 101 thread. I will post another pick of them tomorrow at the one week hanging mark.

Yours look like they will be well ready by the second week of August. What cut of pork did you use - they look like they have a nice meat to fat ratio. Love to have a taste!

well done!

yeah hi merc i used pork shoulder & the salt was cooking salt i think about 38gms per kg i had them hanging since last friday im a bit unsure on the type of salt & amount as the italian butcher on st georges rd thornbury supplyed me with the salt & castings as well as the pork i recon a vic snag swap could be in order

yeah hi merc i used pork shoulder & the salt was cooking salt i think about 38gms per kg i had them hanging since last friday im a bit unsure on the type of salt & amount as the italian butcher on st georges rd thornbury supplyed me with the salt & castings as well as the pork i recon a vic snag swap could be in order

CIMG1084.JPG

Hey merc,

My mate that gave me this recipe is american and says all sausages he buys over here are crap. I tend to agree after tasting his and was so impressed I went and got a grinder/stuffer from hardly normal. I googled canning salt and it looks like it's just an american term for salt with no iodine or anticaking agents. I used rock salt that I ground down. Sausages taste great, if you like annise and fennel, luckily I do.

Has anyone got a recipe for those chavapi (spelling) sausages you get at delis? Beef preferable. The fam loves them as part of Sunday breakfast and they are great BBQ food with that roast capsicum relish on bread.

The photo below shows about half the sausages made by SWMBO and her cousins last weekend. These are being hung up to dry and there were as many again frozen for cooking.

Overall, they made 120 kg of sausages from two pigs!

camera_1st_August_2008_491.jpg

A large coil of sweet italian sausage and two small ones of bratwurst, made Saturday night and cooked Sunday for my mum and sisters birthday.

CookedSausage.jpg

RawSausage.jpg

What are you trying to do to me fraser! Delicious!

Oh god I need to make sausages!! life cannot exist without them!!
any updates on reasonably priced mincers /sausage stuffers in Vic?

Oh god I need to make sausages!! life cannot exist without them!!
any updates on reasonably priced mincers /sausage stuffers in Vic?

+1
Had a look at one while I was in Myer in Frankston yesterday .Not a bad unit but they want $180 for it. I would like to hear of a decent one at a better price too.

Marty

This week I will be making and smoking some bauernbratwurst using the recipe from Len Poli's site. They look bloody delicious and will be my contribution to our families xmas BBQ (as well as 1 keg each of Munich Helles and Witbier)

That way I get to play with the sausage making and the smoking thing at the same time.

I have been having trouble stuffing my sausages stright of the mincer... the meat is staying in the tube too long and getting mushy - I gave up last time and stuffed them using a piping bag. I am trying a new strategy with the stuffer - a first very course (16mm plate) grind to make everything uniform but still chunky, then grind through the medium plate directly into teh casings... that way the grinder will have something to grab onto rather than just trying to push meat that is already ground.

Any hints would be appreciated.

But... I have seen a proper sausage stuffer in action and I really want one of those buggers.... expensive though. I am going to attempt to make one out of PVC pipe and bits, just like a big caulking gun... I will report on my success or failure in this adventure and perhaps post plans if it all works out well

TB

Back