The Robinson Sparger

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
I've been having a problem with my sparging technique, so during a recent trip to the hardware store I ended up in the gardening isle and had a brain fart.
I bought a mixture of bits and pieces from the irrigation section.

RobinsonSpargerResearch1.jpg

After testing the different fittings I found the following variable full circle spray fittings worked best.

Here is the Mk1 prototype.

RobinsonSparger.jpg

And here is the Robinson Sparger Mk1 in action during last weekends brewing session.

RobinsonSpargerMk1_4.jpg

And again showing a different angle and the connection to the HLT.

Parts List:

length of 19 mm tubing
19mm end stopper
2 x full circle variable flow sprayers
2 x small tube things
2 x screw things for the small tube things
1 x 19 mm to 13 mm reducer
1 x hose clamp

Addtional: the tap hose thingy-ma-jig.

A bit more testing to do but it worked well.

Cheers,
Doc

RobinsonSpargerMk1_3.jpg

Doc,

Congratulations on the sparger - very impresive.
Seems that i am not the only one visiting irrigation aisles in Hardware stores.

I also love the scientific terms...

Do you think there is an easy way to make your setup rotate in a circle to ensure a more even distribution of water over the grain bed...

I guess you mean like Phils Sparger.
My original thought was to have a couple of different types of sprinklers/sprayers that would give full coverage. However I found that there wasn't enough pressure to drive the units. That is why there are only two in the Mk1 design.
I still want to experiment with say a 13mm tube (the current is 19mm) and see if that helps. I'll also try shortening the length of tube too.
I thought the drippers would work well but they didn't seem to in practice.
I'm going back to the hardware shop today so will see what else I can find, but I won't be brewing again for at least 2-3 weeks (everything is full) so it will be a while before I can test the Robinson Sparger Mk2.
I might get a few half and quarter circle sprayers and set those up to give better coverage.

Cheers,
Doc

This looks like a great idea Doc. Do you have any temperature rating data for the plastic?

cheers
reg

Reg,

I was worried about that too. I don't have any data on the plastic unfortunately.
I was even worried about the sprinkler fittings which is why if you look closely at the picture with all the fittings I bought you will see some metal sprayers. The metal ones gave too fine a spray though.
However everything held up really well. I was quite surprised. I'm not sure if it would last a long time though. I do have some temp. rated pipe left over from my MLT manifold that I will use when I get the design sorted. I had the 19mm pipe left over from my recent installation of my home irrigation system which is why I used that.

Cheers,
Doc

Hi Doc,

Any updated news on the Robinson Sparger you can share with interested parties ?????

JSB

There was another design update where I added a t-piece to the centre of the unit and blocked the end where the sparge water used to come in.
That way the sparge water came in at the centre which gave a more even distribution of water to the sprinkler jets.
The spray jets I mention in the previous posts were the ones that worked the best.
Also as the HLT empties there isn't as much gravitational pressure to force the water through the unit.

Subseqently I've moved to batch sparging. I find this easier and means I don't have to keep as keen an eye on the process when sparging.

I can take a photo tonight of the MkII unit if you guys are interested though.

Beers,
Doc

Hey doc, where did you get that hose that connects to the standard outlet of the urn? I have the same thing and was thinking I had to replace with a ball valve. Probably go for a ball valve anyway so I set the flow and forget it during sparging. Still interested to know where it is from.

The hose is part of a unit that comes with a spray head attached.
Used for connecting to taps in a bath or sink with a shower type spray head.
I just ripped the spray head off.
Picked it up at Bunnings for a couple of bucks.

Beers,
Doc

Latest posts

Back