The Road To All Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo2234

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been busy today knocking up my E-Biab,

First I knocked up a false bottom.

IMAG0135.jpg

Wired up the PID and SSR
IMAG0133.jpg

IMAG0134.jpg

Still need to wire in the elements and additional switches.

oh and drilled the keg too!

not long now!

Looks an elaborate road to AG for you Robbo, I got mum to sew a couple meters of Swiss voile into a sleeping bag shape and BANG I was there.
are those bolts giving you clearance in the mash tun? lot of clearance.

I see a lot of blokes going for automation and too me if i wanted to not have to do anything id go to dans and buy beer, or get a braumeister,
Sorry i don't mean to discount the work you've done it looks good believe me i couldnt wired up that thing, hell i don't even completely get what it does.
I've been thinking lately about how i can improve my beer and a false bottom second vessel to do basically no sparge brewing looks like where I'm heading but i don't get all the automation myself, I like Brewing i don't wanna just watch a machine work for 5-6 hours.

but back to the point it does look good.

lot of clearance.
I was thinking the same thing but now I'm wondering if he's just making sure he's got the bag above an element.

As for the anti-automation thing - with the exclusion of Bandito's system ( :ph34r: ) everyone's "automated" system still requires the brewer to do the fun stuff (and the cleaning) - they just hold temps.

I have found that even when fully automated you still have to add grain, check temps, lauter,etc and will always be hands on.
It just takes the less fun parts of brewing out of it.... and the reward is still the same if not better when seeing your rig in action.

As for the anti-automation thing - with the exclusion of Bandito's system ( :ph34r: ) everyone's "automated" system still requires the brewer to do the fun stuff (and the cleaning) - they just hold temps.

I have found that even when fully automated you still have to add grain, check temps, lauter,etc and will always be hands on.
It just takes the less fun parts of brewing out of it.... and the reward is still the same if not better when seeing your rig in action.

In most of the automation threads there are comments that using an automated rig isn't really brewing. There seems to be some belief you are not part of the process. I've never understood this point of view. Gentlemen, you have hit the nail on the head. Even the bit about Bandito's truly automated system; that thing even drank the beer for him.

No automation in my system its just there to hold the temp, I didn't want to run around finding sleeping bags ect.
The false bottom is to stand inside the keg to hold the bag off the elements

I don't have my mum to help me make my beer so I wired it up this way! lol
Would "real" way to make beer is grow some wood for a fire lite the fire by rubbing to sticks together and then use all home grown grain and
hops?

ahh stuff it im throwing it out and going to dans instead! lol

Maybe some day I can build a automated system thats so automated it can have the hangover too!

Dan Murphys is fully automated.

I find something therapeutic about sticking an innaccurate thermometer in a pot and hoping it'll make good beer. Always does ... but why would you want to take the "art" out of it by asking a computer to manage the variables?

XXXX Gold is always the same. Homebrew is art.

And yes, I drink with my pinky in the air and sniff the glass far to much but I understand why some like to automate the simple. I have a machine that washes my dishes.

its not a machine to make beer.
its a device to give me more control over the beers I make, There is no hoping that it the temp is correct or is the sleeping bag enough to keep the temps where it should be.

Nothing wrong with smelling the beer and the pinky in air!

its not about knocking up quick cheap beers if it was its a tin of goop and 1kg of dex. its all about flavour if it tastes like shit we wouldn't drink it!

In most of the automation threads there are comments that using an automated rig isn't really brewing.

I don't really agree with that one either. Is driving an automatic car not driving, or making bread in a machine not really baking? How bout changing the channel with a remote? I'm sure most of us remember the good old days when you had to get off your ass to switch over.

IMHO the result is still the same, it is just how you get there that differs.

I use gravity and a thermometer with my 3v system and I don't have a fermentation fridge. I've been told by some that i'll never make decent beer without any form of temp control. Seems to be working out so far.

I think the moral of the story is everyone's rig and processes are different and if they're happy with their results then that is all that matters. Thats also the beauty of home brewing, there are a plethora of ways to go about it.

Happy brewing!

I drive a manual, without power steering.
What is a power steering?

But in all honesty, driving an automatic again feels like freewheeling downhill on a single speed. It just isn't there.

you are going down the same road as i am,good looking setup,
all i have to do is get my self sorted/into gear and am away....cheers....spog........
Hi All,

I have been busy today knocking up my E-Biab,

First I knocked up a false bottom.

IMAG0135.jpg

Wired up the PID and SSR
IMAG0133.jpg

IMAG0134.jpg

Still need to wire in the elements and additional switches.

oh and drilled the keg too!

not long now!

Well today was the day!

first all grain batch Smurtos golden ale

here is the rig on a getto brew stand
IMAG0200.jpg

I left the control box opened as I was concerned about the heat from the SSR, I dont think it was a problem
IMAG0201.jpg

IMAG0202.jpg

All cubed up!

IMAG0203.jpg

IMAG0204.jpg

IMAG0205.jpg

Things learnt,

Still figuring about evaporation rates was off by 5 - 7 litres.
with 2 x 2400 watt I couldn't get to 100c best I got was 85.6 that was on the pid and a laser thermometer. there was a rolling boil so a bit confused.

I have the fermenter fridge full with 2 lagers that's about to CC for 3 weeks after that I will ferment this one!

The plan is to get this figured out on the keg and then replace it with a bigger pot and do doubles or triples if I can.

1 Down heaps to go!

My 2nd BIAB coming up I plan to do a DrSGA, I bought a fresh wort kit so I got a cube out of it. Bloody hell is that what happens to a cube when you put hot wort in it to cool? Far out. At least I won't be concerned when I see that happening to my cube.

Well today was the day!

first all grain batch Smurtos golden ale

here is the rig on a getto brew stand
IMAG0200.jpg

I left the control box opened as I was concerned about the heat from the SSR, I dont think it was a problem
IMAG0201.jpg

IMAG0202.jpg

All cubed up!

IMAG0203.jpg

IMAG0204.jpg

IMAG0205.jpg

Things learnt,

with 2 x 2400 watt I couldn't get to 100c best I got was 85.6 that was on the pid and a laser thermometer. there was a rolling boil so a bit confused.

I have the fermenter fridge full with 2 lagers that's about to CC for 3 weeks after that I will ferment this one!

The plan is to get this figured out on the keg and then replace it with a bigger pot and do doubles or triples if I can.

1 Down heaps to go!

What the hell happened to your cube Robbo, did you back over it in the car?
You seriously don't need to go to that extreme with removing excess air.
I have 25lt cubes & only get 20-21lts into it, squeeze the sides to remove as much as I can & screw the lid on tight.
I lay the cube down on both front & back to sanitize the handle & lid.
The sides of mine get sucked in a tad but nothing to that extreme & I've never had any issues with sanitation or infected wort.
Looks good although I wonder why you guys head the recirculation route with BIAB. I get fairly turbid wort into the boil kettle, crystal clear wort into the cube, squeeze the BIAB bag & manage 85% efficiency with no recirculation at all. I found a 90min mash followed by a constant pumping with my paint stirrer ramping from mash temp to mash out, really boosts the efficiency.

Damn man :drinks: , that just looks painful B) .

IMAG0204.jpg

Assume you mean 95.6?
That would be very possible depending on your elevation.

85.6 not so easy...

Rolling boil is fine.

Things learnt,

Lasers have possible problems with the steam. Not from experience, from way back in my mind from reading about others experience. Could be wrong, however I doubt you boiled at 85c.

I would check the programming and calibrate your thermometer/PID. Who cares what it says at boil, all you want it to do is boil. Mash temps are critical. If it was mine, I would be scratching my head and figuring out why the readings seem off.

Dont let the anti technology guys get to you. I am a traditional BIABer and get all defensive when people go and try and change the simplicity of BIAB. What you are doing is just making the mash, mashout and boil easier. You have an alarm on that thing to get you out of the hammock to pull the bag and add hops and such? Doubt you needed it for the initial brew, as my guess is you were watching it like a newborn the first day home.

Boil off you will get dialed in. It took me several brews to get water figured out. I have a spreadsheet setup just for my system. It even calculates wort loss to hops. Handy when I make an insane IPA for the wife.

Assume you mean 95.6?
That would be very possible depending on your elevation.

85.6 not so easy...

Rolling boil is fine.

Lasers have possible problems with the steam. Not from experience, from way back in my mind from reading about others experience. Could be wrong, however I doubt you boiled at 85c.

I would check the programming and calibrate your thermometer/PID. Who cares what it says at boil, all you want it to do is boil. Mash temps are critical. If it was mine, I would be scratching my head and figuring out why the readings seem off.

Dont let the anti technology guys get to you. I am a traditional BIABer and get all defensive when people go and try and change the simplicity of BIAB. What you are doing is just making the mash, mashout and boil easier. You have an alarm on that thing to get you out of the hammock to pull the bag and add hops and such? Doubt you needed it for the initial brew, as my guess is you were watching it like a newborn the first day home.

Boil off you will get dialed in. It took me several brews to get water figured out. I have a spreadsheet setup just for my system. It even calculates wort loss to hops. Handy when I make an insane IPA for the wife.

I dont think I boiled @ 85 either, but there was to readings at the same,, I think its a bit off, I will get a candy thermometer soon and see what's doing..

Re the cube.. I was told to push out as much air as I could, I must have a bit more force behind me than others!!!!! lol
next time I wont go as berserk!

Latest posts

Back