The pursuit of Utopia...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grainer

The pursuit of Utopia
Reaction score
Well, I am very well known now for pushing the limits and it is now time to go BIGGER ! and do I mean BIG!! 27% - aged for many years in a variety of oaks ! This is the accumulation of all my brewing..

I have started the journey to design a clone of Utopia by Samuel Adams.

I am looking at the receipes from PTN and Yeager1977 and a few others that have attempted this huge Barleywine. I was wondering if anyone is Australia has attempted a clone of this beer and any tips they would recommend moving forward. From what I have seen most of it comes down to healthy yeast feeding programs and staggered wort additions to keep the brew pumping and also reducing oxygenation over time. First steps are to culture up a starter brew .. so I am going to repeat Yeager1977 Northern English Brown to get a BIG yeast slurry for this bad boy and cancel all future brewing to get this thing right!

Looks Like this is a unicorn beer... good thing Im pushing the envelope.. no comments yet !

Last utopia I tried was like thick, sweet vegemite mixed with soy.
Lovely looking bottle.
Hope yours turns out way better - treat it gently and well.

Reminds me of the 'cause of death' beer featured in 'Brew' Magazine. I wonder if it uses beano tabs in the utopias recipe??

Well I made a 14% English Barleywine today that will be the yeast starter for this big brew.. getting the yeast conditioned is even a huge job !

Good luck man - a 14% beer is friggen huge in its own right and this is a starter beer.....wow!

I thought you weren't supposed to re-use yeast that had already been through the [14%] ringer?

What's the theory behind using such a strong beer as a starter? Wouldn't it be better if you use the yeast cake from a double batch of a lower abv beer (on what I'm assuming will be a single batch).

I've Jacked Barley Wine. Is this in the ball park? Frozen run off from 11% Barley Wine beer. Guess the alcohol percentage between 20 to 30%?
I rarely drink anything that high but its as good as spirits for culinary things etc. Its milder than spirits to sample.

Back