The "popcorn Taste"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dane

Reaction score
Ok - it's 8:05pm on a Thrusday and we are already down a six pack or so. After having some Boags Premiums (and what is with the new Twist tops????) and you havea home brew after that there is always a distinctive taste - all that I can describe it is a "popcorn taste".

What is it? The extra preservatives in retail beers?

Is it just me??

Do you mean popcorn taste in the boags or homebrew?

I get a fruit flavour in my home brew for the first one after a boags etc

and whats with CUB draght, if i drink home brew (as i do each day) then in a blue moon go out with mates who drink CUB it tastes like ..... ohhh bread or grain hard to explain but its wowful untill you get used to it and then you cant taste it.

each time it happens i would sware it was off untill i'm used to it

I still oneday hope my beers taste as nice as a boags!!!!
mmmmmmmm boags $$$$$ :chug:

Like if you drink a retail beer it taste fine, but if you have a home brew and then go back to a retail beer there is always a really wierd after taste - and it is this taste that I am calling the popcorn taste :)

A few years ago i used to drink nothing other than VB and thought it was quite an OK drop.... These days I can't stand the stuff, tastes like chemical crap!
The saving grace is the recent introduction of Squires Ale on tap, it's about the only thing I'll drink from tap these days, except for what's on affer at brew pubs etc.

cheers,
VB sucks

re: VB aftertaste (and all CUB brre for that matter!)

Hi. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I think CUB beer tend to have a starchy aftertaste compared to other beers. The taste is very simmilar to one of my brews where I did a partial mash, and left the grains in too long. Something just wasn't right about the mouthfeel, and aftertaste of that beer. Same type thing y :chug: ou get with CUB products.

fiscus, I know what you mean about "popcorn" tastes in commercial brews. I even picked up a big hit of it from Steinlager after a few bottles of homebrewed Pale Ale. I think the reason is that your palate becomes used to the hops taste of "real" beer and when you switch to a commercial beer-flavoured soda water, your palate overcompensates to give the big grainy taste. I'd liken the flavour to bread or breakfast cereal. If you pick up this flavour in homebrew, stop using maltodextrine, corn sugar etc in your beer and use only malted barley and wheat :)

Yeah it is a very grainy taste.

I never get it in my home brews only whenever I have a commercial after a homebrew. It differes from (commerical) beer to (commercial) beer, but something like a cascade become almost unenjoyable. I guess it would depend on what home brew you are drinking and the mix of hops/malt it has.

It always reminds how good home brews are!!! :)

Hell, yeah!

My Mrs and I were enjoying a homebrew Amber Ale the other night (cascade hops in LME and some steeped dark grains). It was VERY green, having only just carbonated, but we both agreed there is something more "real" about HB over commercial beer. Some commercials are more "refined" but personally I reckon the vast majority of them are made to a price, not to a taste.

I now understand the taste you are getting and yes i very very very much get that with Draugh CUB and ohhhh its bad, i can almost be made sick untill i get used to it.

and then i still jump onto the home brew as soon as i can ..... cheaper, better, best!

Ben said:
I now understand the taste you are getting and yes i very very very much get that with Draugh CUB and ohhhh its bad, i can almost be made sick untill i get used to it.

and then i still jump onto the home brew as soon as i can ..... cheaper, better, best!
Sounds like the makings of a new slogan....

Aussiehomebrew

CBB Homebrewed BEER....

Cheaper, Better & Best!

What does everyone else think...

Back