The Plug On My Urn Is Getting Hot.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobB

Reaction score
The pins on the plug of my Birko urn (second hand and probably long in the tooth) get very hot after two hours on maximum (90 minute boil plus time to reach boil).

The outside of the plug is slightly warm to the touch, but if I happen to touch the pins after unplugging it, they are hot enough to have to drop it immediately.

The urn isn't live and it isn't tripping the RCDs, but I'm wondering if I have a potential widow-maker on my hands?

I did consider that since the element is at 100+ degrees and essentially continuous with the power cord, that heat was conducting back through the cord over the two hours. Does this sound feasible or is my urn on its last legs?

i got a 2nd hand urn and it doesnt do that ? get a sparkie to test it mate

My urn cord and plug also get hot, with two urns and running off various circuits. Not brewing for a few days however so I can't test it out right now, but I figured it was par for the course, pumping 2400 watts through for an hour.

As a lecky 2400w will get hot may I suggest u steal a plug from a pc or kettle. See hoe that goes.

Worst case get a lecky to wire u a lead up using heavy duty cable.

I used to run a still in either a 50l get or a 205l stainless drum using a 2400w element for 24hrs+

Soon learnt to use a oxy to heat up the drum then let it run on a traffif.

As an electrician, My advice would be to get it checked out. It is normal for the plug to get warm during operation but red hot pins could be doing damage to your wall outlet.

To solve the situation you could :
1. Get a licenced elecrician to replace the plug with another - that one will wear out due to the heat (those plugs dont like heat )

2. Get a licenced elecrician to rewire the lead into the unit and replace it with heavier guage cable - in my experience with these urns the cable supplying the unit is a bit in the small side

3. Get a licenced elecrician to upgrade both the plug and socket outlet to 15 Amp - These are made to take the slightly higher load should solve the heating problems

If you were close I would have a look at it for you

DON'T DO IT YOURSELF !!!! Electricity is dangerous you could hurt somebody or burn you house down.

Hope this helps

At 2400W the plug is running close to its 10A limit and after 90 minutes it will be warm.
You can probably feel the cable being a bit warm as well.
If it's just warm then it's just normal, all urns I've had that use 2.4kW get a warm plug after some time of use.
I've never checked the stifts but it's reasonable to think they would be more of hot than warm.

It's electricity so better safe then sorry but when you say the plug is warm rather then hot it sounds normal.

(And yes, I work with 240V and up to 50kV service and installations)

I'm doing a brew today, I'll do a temp check with my digital thermo and report.

do you use the same power point..it might need changing..also is the any strain on the plug..as above i would change the plugtop

I'm tending to agree with the power point being the issue. If it's an oldie or not frequently used the copper inside will be oxidised reducing the contact area and increasing the heat. Maybe try the urn in a more frequently used power point and see if you get the same result. You might be better off upgrading to a 15 amp socket as suggested.

Latest posts

Back