The Perfect Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gilly

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have been brewing for a few years using kits and a few additives. The stouts are my favourite! Just wondering if anyone had some great recipes for the perfect stout (using kit)? Or just some advice to make them even better.

Thanking you in advance

what type of stout....

oatmeal, sweet, dry Irish, FES, Imperial, RIS etc

Hi Gilly,

Which yeasts do you use? If you use whats comes with a tin, liquid yeasts or a better dry yeast like the range Saf could help improve the beer especially if you have control of the fermentation temps.
Are you seeping speciality grains to add to the brew or adding hops?
For an Oatmeal I'm fairly certain that you would have to do a mini mash to be able to add oatmeal to your stouts.

adding oats should be mashed - but - i have successfully cold steeped oats upto 200gms with other grains overnight.

if u are going for an Imperial Stout will need really good yeast eg 1728 scotish.
Could go for;
2 x Morgans dockside stout cans
50gms Roast Barley
150 Choc
250xtal
cold steep in 5ltrs of water overnight - (could add 200 of oats)
1kg of LME - boil with 50gms of bittering hops for 30 mins with the strained liquid from the grains - plus both satchets of yeast from under tin - this becomes the yeast nutrients for the good yeast.

pour into fermenter with cans - and add cold water to get OG of 1085 - 1090.
Aerate really well - use waterfall method - ie drop from one fermenter to another 3 times.
primary for 2 weeks, secondary and dry hop with 50gms of hops - EKG, Fuggles for 4 weeks,
Refridgerate for a week and then pour thru GMK In-Line Filter into bottling bucket.

Hope this helps.

I love a good stout, but it's got to be bitter and full-bodied.

The last stout I made was Coopers brewmaster Irish stout.

I do double brews so used to tins of Irish Stout. Instead of using light malt and dextrose, I used two 1.5kg tins of dark malt.

I boiled the malt with 25 grams of fuggles hops for 40 minutes before putting the brew together.

Two days into fermentation I boiled 25 grams of fuggles hops for 30 minutes and added that to the brew when cooled.

I call it the most evil stout I ever made. It's full bodied, totally burnt in flavour. The double addition of hops gives it bitterness and flavour. Using dark malt instead of what Coopers suggested suited the brew.

It's the type of beer most people aren't game to try.

Latest posts

Back