The Perfect Fermentation Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Siborg!!

THat is great news mate!! No looking back now. Get yourself a dig thermo off ebay and whammo!!

Brewing with proper temp control ROCKS!!!

Woohooo!

Rendo

Hey Mark.

I just found the perfect fermentation fridge too. Funnily enough, it looks identical to yours, except its a Mistral MBF140SS(H) that I scored for FREE!!!

It had a bit of mould inside as it was left outside in the rain for a few days, but I've cleaned it up with anti-bacterial stuff and removed the freezer compartment and its PERFECT!

This thing is literally identical to yours down to the last detail, I'm so lucky my mate told me about this and picked it up for me. I just need a tempmate now and I'm set!

Hi Siborg!!

THat is great news mate!! No looking back now. Get yourself a dig thermo off ebay and whammo!!

Brewing with proper temp control ROCKS!!!

Woohooo!

Rendo
Yeah, I've got a temp controller lined up for about 35-45 including postage. Just have to wait till payday and then wait for it to be shipped from hong kong.

Its definitely gotta beat my current method of temp control which is having the brew in a dead fridge and checking it every couple of hours and add or take out 2L of ice to alter by 2 degrees. Will be awesome for cold crashing too. Just chuck it on 2 and leave it... even forget about it for a week or two and get really clear beer.

Pleased with the Westinghouse 423l (no freezer) for lager fermentation without any external temperature control. ie, the fridge's control is set to its' lowest setting which results in a steady 12C. I am experimenting with small batch lager recipes (13litres). eg using 15 litre Fresh Wort Kit ( hold 16.5L cold) containers as fermenters. By placing each fermenter in a slightly larger container (30cm square) with a t-shirt & water 'bath', a constant 10 celcius is maintained.

Hey Mark.

I just found the perfect fermentation fridge too. Funnily enough, it looks identical to yours, except its a Mistral MBF140SS(H) that I scored for FREE!!!

It had a bit of mould inside as it was left outside in the rain for a few days, but I've cleaned it up with anti-bacterial stuff and removed the freezer compartment and its PERFECT!

This thing is literally identical to yours down to the last detail, I'm so lucky my mate told me about this and picked it up for me. I just need a tempmate now and I'm set!

I didn't see this post until now. Good work mate, that's awesome. I think Mistral is KMart and home maker is Big W or something like that? They must all be from the same manufacturer. Good to know there's Mistral ones as well as it means that there would be more available out there.

Got any pics mate?

Mark, check ALDI website from week to week, they often have small fridge-only models for the $250 mark - they had tall skinny upright freezers for $299 last week, didn't take too much notice but would probably hold two bunnings vertically.

This is more a question about freezer/fridge shelf strength but thought I would tag it onto this thread as a few of the replies have this type of setup.

I have an upright freezer that I use for fermenting which has lots of slots in the side to make the shelf height adjustable. It has the plastic coated wire racks with a turned up edge front and back which add a bit of strength. Similar to Argon's in his post above Linky

I normally have one 25L fermenter on the bottom of the freezer and one above it on a shelf. I would like to fit a third fermenter by putting 2 on one shelf. Similar to Argon's picture but I can't tell if the box of Urquell is there to support the shelf or not. Has anyone had any probs with this shelf not being strong enough for the job?

This is more a question about freezer/fridge shelf strength but thought I would tag it onto this thread as a few of the replies have this type of setup.

I have an upright freezer that I use for fermenting which has lots of slots in the side to make the shelf height adjustable. It has the plastic coated wire racks with a turned up edge front and back which add a bit of strength. Similar to Argon's in his post above Linky

I normally have one 25L fermenter on the bottom of the freezer and one above it on a shelf. I would like to fit a third fermenter by putting 2 on one shelf. Similar to Argon's picture but I can't tell if the box of Urquell is there to support the shelf or not. Has anyone had any probs with this shelf not being strong enough for the job?

there's no support under my shelves... the box of Urquell just fits in there nicely cause there's a hump at the back of the fridge. It 's not touching the shelf above. I've since rearranged my shelves and can get 4 fermenters in there 2 on each shelf. The white plastic coated shelves i have (exactly the same as you've described) are pretty sturdy and can easily handle 2 full fermenters...

:icon_offtopic: also side note i adjsuted my kegerator to fit in 6 kegs... :beerbang:

I didn't see this post until now. Good work mate, that's awesome. I think Mistral is KMart and home maker is Big W or something like that? They must all be from the same manufacturer. Good to know there's Mistral ones as well as it means that there would be more available out there.

Got any pics mate?
And I didn't see your post til now. I'll post some pics when I get home tonight.

Do you get icicles on the top-most part of the fridge?

there's no support under my shelves... the box of Urquell just fits in there nicely cause there's a hump at the back of the fridge. It 's not touching the shelf above. I've since rearranged my shelves and can get 4 fermenters in there 2 on each shelf. The white plastic coated shelves i have (exactly the same as you've described) are pretty sturdy and can easily handle 2 full fermenters...

:icon_offtopic: also side note i adjsuted my kegerator to fit in 6 kegs... :beerbang:

Thanks, thats great to hear, especially as there's much better uses for Urquell than supporting shelves. Time to recommission my original fermenter then. Actually I'm surprised you weren't inundated with surprise visitors after posting that picture.

And I didn't see your post til now. I'll post some pics when I get home tonight.

Do you get icicles on the top-most part of the fridge?

I get a small amount from time to time. Never enough to require a defrost or anything like that.

hi there was just wondering if anyone knew where i could get some plans tom make a fermentation fridge, i havent been brewing for long but it sounds ideal cos i have an old fridge just sitting in the garage just waiting to be converted. any help would be greatly appreciated
cheers

hi there was just wondering if anyone knew where i could get some plans tom make a fermentation fridge, i havent been brewing for long but it sounds ideal cos i have an old fridge just sitting in the garage just waiting to be converted. any help would be greatly appreciated
cheers

Hey Boblog,

Welcome to the boards!

There is no set plans but there is 'a plan' - make sure your shelf/s are strong enough to hold a full fermenter, this usually involves replacing them with a stand or re-enforcing them in someway...

The other part of the plan is to control the temp inside, which can be done with a temp controller - sold by some of the sponsors in the banner at the top of the site.

If you have a functioning fridge than you would use the fridge to keep your fermenter cool during summer and some heat source, heat belt, heater etc to keep it warm in winter and simply turn the fridge off - using it as a 'hot box'...

Controlled ferment temps will produce a better beer without doubt. Don't get me wrong you will still check on it all the time but you won't have to worry about a cold night or hot day!

I hope it helps!

Cheers

Quick question Mark... I noticed that you're using a heat belt for your brews in the fridge; experienced any problems? I picked up the same model fridge as yours and a temp controller last week on ebay and am looking at methods of heating (want to avoid using a heat pad if I can help it).

Quick question Mark... I noticed that you're using a heat belt for your brews in the fridge; experienced any problems? I picked up the same model fridge as yours and a temp controller last week on ebay and am looking at methods of heating (want to avoid using a heat pad if I can help it).

Sorry mate only saw this question now.

I'm not using a heat belt, I have used some duct tape to tape the piece of blue camping mat I have permanently against the fermenter to hold the temperature probe so that it is measuring the temperature of the wort and not the air (to an extent anyway).

Never used a heating belt.

Even in the middle of winter at night my garage is about 18 degrees ambient.

I need to find me a little fridge like that. I have a large old clunker at the moment, but it is going to have to go once the reno's are complete.
How big are those Bunnings fermenters?

Mark did you ever measure the internal dimensions?

Interested if my existing fermenters will fit inside, so the internal dimensions.

And the size (Volume) of your bunnings fermenter?
Cheers.

Back