The Perfect Fermentation Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBastard

Reaction score
A little while back someone here mentioned they wanted to offload their bar fridge. I casually asked if a bunnings fermenter would fit in it, and the user said yes, the partition between the freezer and fridge can be removed by simply removing 2 screws, and then a bunnings fermenter fits. I thought nice, I'll take it off your hands at $100.

I have since used it for two batches, and I can tell you it's the perfect fermentation fridge for bunnings fermenters. I can't comment if other 25/30L fermenters fit nicely or not but happy to measure if anyone is interested.

Brand: Homemaker
Model: HMBF115BS (Silver), HMBF115BWW(White)

Why is it so good?

1 - Only need to remove two screws and then the partition between the fridge and freezer just slides out like a tray.
2 - The cooling lines are integrated into the sides of the fridge, there is no metal plate at the top.
3 - There is a defrost drain at the back of the fridge that collects most of the excess condensation that forms in fermenting fridges (this is a GREAT bonus)
4 - The toughened class shelf at the bottom can handle the weight of a fermenter (so far)
5 - The door shelves are a great size to hold bottles if you are like me and bottle the extra beer at the bottom of the fermenter, and want these bottles to condition at fermenting temps
6 - These should be fairly easy to find second hand on Ebay for about $100. They were sold at KMart in 2008 for $200 and seem like they were a hot item
7 - They are very quiet when running compared to other bar fridges I've owned.

I liked this one so much that I bought another one, picked it up yesterday. I now have a white and a silver model. The reason I didn't make this thread earlier is I didn't want competition on Ebay hahaha.

PIC_0094.jpg
Both my fridges set up and running, fitting nicely under the work bench I built for homebrew/general work. The right hand side one will be running on the fridge thermostat for cold conditioning for the time being.

PIC_0095.jpg
The new silver one, picture showing the inside. Notice the drain at the back that catches most condensation.

PIC_0096.jpg
The white one I've had for a while fermenting my amber ale with two bottles conditioning in the door shelves (750ml PET bottles).

I want one

Can't find em on ebay at all though (in Victoria, anyway)

I want one

Can't find em on ebay at all though (in Victoria, anyway)

Took me a few weeks to find one. Just keep searching for bar fridge and look for one with the home maker logo top middle like in the pics, then if there aren't any good internal shots ask the seller for the model number and make sure it's as above. There are a few similar home maker ones that don't have the removable partition or the drain at the back.

Took me a few weeks to find one. Just keep searching for bar fridge and look for one with the home maker logo top middle like in the pics, then if there aren't any good internal shots ask the seller for the model number and make sure it's as above. There are a few similar home maker ones that don't have the removable partition or the drain at the back.

Come to think of it, I think they were selling them at Big W last christmas. I'll need to pop in and check the model number. Were priced around $150-200 by memory.

Could definitely be the case.

Also even though this is a home maker fridge I don't know if they're actually a manufacturer. So there may be the exact same fridges branded with other 'home' brands. If anyone finds this info out please post it here. They really are good fridges. I've been looking for fridges like this for over a year and was very lucky to chance upon one.

I'd say kegerators are the best fermentation fridges. No hump at the bottom.

I can fit my 75L fermenter in no problem..

I also have a bar fridge (westinghouse) that I got for free off a mate who needed the space when he downsized to a unit. $60 for a temp controller and I reckon I have the best fermentation fridge aswell! Although mine must be slightly larger as I did not have to remove the freezer to get my coopers 30L fermenter in with a glad wrap airlock.

Fits nicely under the bar and when not fermenting I can use it as a normal bar fridge. Best $60 bucks ever

I also have a bar fridge (westinghouse) that I got for free off a mate who needed the space when he downsized to a unit. $60 for a temp controller and I reckon I have the best fermentation fridge aswell! Although mine must be slightly larger as I did not have to remove the freezer to get my coopers 30L fermenter in with a glad wrap airlock.

Fits nicely under the bar and when not fermenting I can use it as a normal bar fridge. Best $60 bucks ever
Do you know the model number of the fridge? I'll be on the lookout for one that can fit a fermenter in them now. I could then use my big one for just CC'ing and stop having to worry about adding/taking out bottles of ice.

I think my Kelvinator 331L Fridge only is the shit when it comes to a fermentation fridge

But I could be a little biased

$150 off Ebay, Tempmate off Ross, free hand me down heatbelt, $6 12 volt fan with free adapter, $35 to make two strong as an ox amplimesh shelves

Suits me to a tee as I do double batch no chill cubed AG's and crash chill for a week after fermentation. Enough space left on the floor and door for 30 long necks to condition if required.

I just wuv Kelvin The Ferminator :wub:

PS- Since these pics were taken I have upgraded to gladwrap, instead of lids/no o-rings

med_gallery_7556_294_276144.jpg

med_gallery_7556_294_309132.jpg

I probably should have specified the main thing I was after was the smallest possible fridge that still fit a bunnings fermenter and didn't leak water, and was available in as new condition fairly readily at a decent price.

There are obviously bigger fridges that can hold fermenters and do a good job. People with limited space like me will want the smallest thing possible.

I probably should have specified the main thing I was after was the smallest possible fridge that still fit a bunnings fermenter and didn't leak water, and was available in as new condition fairly readily at a decent price.

There are obviously bigger fridges that can hold fermenters and do a good job. People with limited space like me will want the smallest thing possible.

Yep i think you're right... nice little unit... under bench... beautiful.

However i reckon, i've got the best fermenting fridge. Actually it's an upright freezer, Can fit 4 30 Litre fermenters, with or without airlocks (i use gladwrap) and i can crash chill below freezing point... Eisbock anyone?. (Iced Mocha Oatmeal Stout planned for Babbs Mash Paddle... :ph34r: ause i can)

insert Bribie G style recycled pic... (ignore the kegerator )

SDC14537.JPG

Good work though MB... i have a mate looking for a space saving option... I told him to keep an eye out for what you've described.... Thanks mate

Yeah before I decided to make a work bench with fridges underneath I was looking to get an upright freezer, I reckon with unlimited space they are the best option for sure. More insulated and usually less annoying moulding etc.

Sorry mate the only thing I could find on it was Westinghouse. Although it does have a LG compressor of all things? All I did was take the measurements of the fermenter and then measure up the internal space of the fridge. I will admit I had to use a Stanley knife to cut out the middle shelf in the door as it had one of those shelf with the plastic just moulded to the shape and you cant remove it, as it was impossible to shut the door with the fermenter inside. Solid investment though, the quality of my brew is so much higher since having the ability to control ferm temp.

Do you know the model number of the fridge? I'll be on the lookout for one that can fit a fermenter in them now. I could then use my big one for just CC'ing and stop having to worry about adding/taking out bottles of ice.

Yep i think you're right... nice little unit... under bench... beautiful.

However i reckon, i've got the best fermenting fridge. Actually it's an upright freezer, Can fit 4 30 Litre fermenters, with or without airlocks (i use gladwrap) and i can crash chill below freezing point... Eisbock anyone?. (Iced Mocha Oatmeal Stout planned for Babbs Mash Paddle... :ph34r: ause i can)

insert Bribie G style recycled pic... (ignore the kegerator )

View attachment 36763

Good work though MB... i have a mate looking for a space saving option... I told him to keep an eye out for what you've described.... Thanks mate

hi argon

mate that ferment frig looks great. can you tell me the literage of that unit (make/model also). thats exactly what i'm looking for

cheers
matt

hi argon

mate that ferment frig looks great. can you tell me the literage of that unit (make/model also). thats exactly what i'm looking for

cheers
matt

yeah I'll look into it when I get home and do the obligitory walk past, stop and admire before heading up to the wife and kiddy. Not sure how helpful I could be though, cause it's a fairly ancient unit. Got given about a year ago for free off a relly. I will post back tonight with whatever info I have. Although I recently painted over the door so hopefully l can still make out the manufacturer.

Edit: BTW the photo kinda reads like a double door fridge. It's not it's a freezer next to a fridge. Just in case to avoid confusion.

yeah I'll look into it when I get home and do the obligitory walk past, stop and admire before heading up to the wife and kiddy. Not sure how helpful I could be though, cause it's a fairly ancient unit. Got given about a year ago for free off a relly. I will post back tonight with whatever info I have. Although I recently painted over the door so hopefully l can still make out the manufacturer.

Edit: BTW the photo kinda reads like a double door fridge. It's not it's a freezer next to a fridge. Just in case to avoid confusion.

sweet, thanks. even rough internal dimensions would be great

cheers
matt

Matt, most upright freezers or the fridge or freezer from a pigeon pair will work. You need to get internal dimensions and make sure that the shelves are removable as some have the cooling lines built into the shelves, particularly freezers.

Just letting you know because almost all upright freezers will be good for fermenting. This thread was more about bar fridges because most bar fridges have some pretty big problems as far as fermenting fridges go. Most of the time they're not big enough for a fermenter with the freezer part intact, and most of the time the freezer part isn't easily altered to fit the fermenter.

sweet, thanks. even rough internal dimensions would be great

cheers
matt

here's a (crappy) photo of the particulars of my fermenting freezer

hope it helps... good luck finding another one
007.JPG

Hey Mark.

I just found the perfect fermentation fridge too. Funnily enough, it looks identical to yours, except its a Mistral MBF140SS(H) that I scored for FREE!!!

It had a bit of mould inside as it was left outside in the rain for a few days, but I've cleaned it up with anti-bacterial stuff and removed the freezer compartment and its PERFECT!

This thing is literally identical to yours down to the last detail, I'm so lucky my mate told me about this and picked it up for me. I just need a tempmate now and I'm set!

Back