The Passing Of A Great Man Of Peace.

• Thread starter 4077M*A*S*H
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4077M*A*S*H

Hi guys,

If you haven't already heard Pope John Paul II has passed away.

This man was an inspriation and I for one will be happy to have a beer in honour of the pope.

It will be interesting to see who they pick. There are 117 voting cardinals and only 17 are under 65 years old. I guess they will pick an oldie. That will limit any policy changes.

pint of lager said:
Did the pope brew his own beer. Did the pope drink beer?
[post="52429"][/post]​

I believe wine was more to his taste, can't find any info regarding his home brewing though the various Trappist monks maybe in mourning. :unsure:

I wonder if Jesus and the people of his time would of been into brewing? I guess they would have as they made wine. I think this is not the site to discuss things of a biblical nature, but it would be worth a thought?

No offence intended to any christians , as I am a full on Christian I have no problem wondering if Jesus was a homebrewer. And am not offended at anyone elses reply's.

This quote is taken from the ABJCP "history of beer"
Beer is a very old drink the history of which, as a result of tomb excavations and other discoveries, can be traced back almost 5,000 years. The oldest mention of beer is in Mesopotamian cuneiform writing, from the year 2800 BC, which describes the distribution of the daily ration of beer and bread to the workforce. The production and dispensing of beer is regulated closely in the collection of laws of the Babylonian king Hammurabi (1728-1686 BC).

This Quote is taken from the ABJCP History of Lager By Michael Jackson.
St. Benedict (480-547 A.D.). Inspired by Jesus' time in the wilderness, St. Benedict fathered modern monasticism. His rules said that monks must support themselves. The early abbeys, in Italy, farmed, grew grapes and made wine for their tables. When the movement spread north across the Alps, the cooler climate favored barley and beer. As the church and the monasteries were the early seats of study and learning, so were they the birthplaces of brewing science.

Maybe Jesus was a home brewer it is a possibility.

Nice work 4077.

By the way i love your name 4077MASH. As this is the best show in TV I wish i thought of the name first.

SJW said:
I wonder if Jesus and the people of his time would of been into brewing? I guess they would have as they made wine. I think this is not the site to discuss things of a biblical nature, but it would be worth a thought?
[post="52447"][/post]​

I'm not sure they were into beer as such. Jesus did turn water into wine at the Wedding in Cana (John 2:1-11). He turned 6 jars of 20-30 gallons each to wine.

The apostle Paul recommended the use of wine to remove the nasties from rank water ("No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments." - 1 Timothy 5:23).

Solomon also had a word or two to say, "Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise" (Proverbs 20:1).

But then wine is just 'grape beer' then, isn't it?

You may flame me now.

Was the Pope a home brewer?
A guy who I went to school with, & who later turned up at our shop as a more than enthusiastic home brewer tells a great story.
Dave's Dad was in Warsaw during WW2, a native Pole heavily involved in the resistance to the occupying Nazi's, as was the young Karol. They ran a very crude still, which one day was the cause of an explosion which leveled the building. The boys instantly dusted themselves off & blamed the enemy. Nobody doubted their story!
I would have to back that in his younger days JPII would have enjoyed a home brewed product as not much else would be available.
As JPII was such an influence on the fall of the Iron Curtain, we should toast him, for without people like him, we wouldn't know too much about Pilzner Urquell or its tasty cousins from the Czech Rep.
Cheers
Gerard

It has been suggested that King David of the Jews was a brewer, and over the centuries artwork has been done to this effect.

SOSMAN, I have always said that you was under rated.

Folks, beer and for that matter wine, had a 3000 year head start on Jesus and his clan. Possibly Jesus in his journeys throgh India, Pakistan and China (as we now know these counties) spread the word that the Somarians had discovered a new and exciting beverage?

Took the Chinese nearly 5000 years to discover the joy of beer though!

Wes

Did the pope brew his own beer. Did the pope drink beer?

Prob did. But the "Pope smokes dope". I know coz I saw it on a T-shirt :p

wondering if Jesus was a homebrewer...

Why bother when he could make water into wine? More % alc/vol...and cheaper than a handbag (cask wine). He was prob the original party-starter! No offense intended.
:p

As JPII was such an influence on the fall of the Iron Curtain, we should toast him, for without people like him, we wouldn't know too much about Pilzner Urquell or its tasty cousins from the Czech Rep.

G-man, Well said! I may not be able cheer for the guy as a Catholic, but I can respekt him for allowing me to know Czech beer (piwo , isn't it?).
Mmmmmmmm, tasty cousins...(drool) :beer:

over-opinionated Seth out :party:

Testify!!!
edited, hopefully in time

"The unforgiveable sins this earth must confront and overcome are
Nationalism, capitalism, and hoarding. The idea of every nation
should be forgot, price should be struck from the commons, and
princes should be seen for the devils they are. The sins include
our church, secret societies, and other religions which make of
the spirit of God a divide."

Last rites declaration of Ioannes Paulus PP. II (Karol Wojtyla)
2nd April 2005

Found this on the web.

Cheers Seth :beer:

Back