The one thing to improve your brewday and quality of beer....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewno Marz

Reaction score
Being new to brewing I am keen to learn and get advice on how to improve my brewday and, of course, the quality of the end product. So, as they say, "every day is a school day" and for me and all those others keen to learn, please pass on that one piece of advice, that one pearl of wisdom, that made your brew day run smoother or delivered that imorovement in quality! It could be a change in technique, discovery of a cheaper alternative, modification to equipment, or advice from someone else.

For me, the one thing that vastly improved my brewday was involving my wife in the brewday planning, recipe selection and brewing. It also meant I wasn't planning a brew on the same day she was planning a picnic in the hinterland!

What is the one thing, the one change you made, that improved the quality of your beer or made your brewday run that much smoother?

I know you all have lots of great advice to pass on, but take the challenge and nominate just ONE thing (Ok matbe two if they're really good)

-Prior proper planning and preparation prevents piss poor performance and Peter Piper picking pickled peppers.
-Temp control on your fermenting process.
Sorry thats two.

The first step to quality beer is to realise that human beings don't make beer.

Your job is to make a really nice wort and then tend to your billions of pets called yeast and give them the happiest environment in which to live.

Then you will get nice beer

Recorded notes in detail of your brewing experiences. Give brews your ratings. Then re read and check older notes.

Given you're In Brissie, I would say dechlorination of water with vitamin c (powdered).

Not getting funked up uptown.

Also, fill your water the night before and set a timer so you can just get up and mash in. Cuts down time waiting for water to heat on brew day.

love the humour...still laughing at some of the replies, especially Stouter's and Pimpsqueak's.

Double brew day, sounds crazy but you can mash in the 2nd beer as the 1st has finished sparging. This adds 1.5hrs to my brew day and I get double the wort.

And pumps man they make things easy

One thing? Research the hobby thoroughly before changing anything.

In other words, read. Learn how to use the search function on this site. Read some more. Learn from others, but don't believe everything you read, practice, read, learn, practice, read, learn, then :chug: (that's thorough research)

Jack of all biers said:
I'm going to assume you're not taking the piss and answer that. At the top of the site under the sponsor advertisements is a search box with the word 'Search' in it.
thanks. I'm from the telex era (yes, pre-fax) so what most people take for granted in IT world is not so for me!

1 thing
If it was that easy that would be nice
No magic bullet but as you collect information & progress different things matter more at that time
But you said 1 so I'll say reading this site AHB has helped me immensely

The brewday is only the beginning. See labels' response and go from there.

Don't complicate your recipes. Keep it simple, and your chances of brewing a beer that will make you throw that "I love you man!" smile to your glass of your beer increase exponentially. Three malts, no more, in general. As you work on a recipe and gain knowledge you can add more malts to add nuance, if you wish. But fewer malts tend to make better beer. I wasted two years learning this. It's often said, and totally true. Masters like Matt Brynildson are the ones who can add 9 malts for effect, and even he tries to keep it simple.

My brew days are pretty good, aircon would be nice but to really improve the day and the beer being produced, naked pole dancers to do the hop additions.

Alas SWMBO said maybe ... I said ok, so long as your willing to continue drinking slightly less than Awesome beer.....

Now Just need a spot to install the poles :blink:

Latest posts

Back