The Mystery of the Self Emptying Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How often have I said to you that when you've eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

Soda sucking aliens.

I had this happen last month, but with a really nice American Amber.

Turns out there was a pin prick hole in my keg. Lost 2/3'rds of a keg. Couldn't even see where it went, there was only a litre in the fridge, if that. I can only assume the rest leaked out of the fridge and through the floorboards or down the hearing vent. Maybe it's still in the fridge somewhere (Keg King Kegerator). Fridge hasn't been running too well since.

I am now migrating to new kegs. Don't want to have a repeat of that.

The keg in question had been used for 2-3 years without incident. Weird.

Fridge fairies,bloody mongrels,I found one in the crisper pissed as a fart,it's Tiara on backwards trying to hump a cabbage!
True story.

spog said:
Fridge fairies,bloody mongrels,I found one in the crisper pissed as a fart,it's Tiara on backwards trying to hump a cabbage!
True story.
So cabbage soup was off the menu that night. Everyone loves cabbage soup!! I note this sort of thing never happens to chocolate cake or ice cream.

I lost a heap of good beer from an outlet coupling that wasn't fully engaged, this allowed a slow trickle down the keg through the fridge and over the garage floor. Its happened twice now, so I always clean check and lock on the coupling very carefully these days.

Your soda water would have evaporated imo.

Add some red food dye. You'll soon see where it's going.

MastersBrewery said:
So cabbage soup was off the menu that night. Everyone loves cabbage soup!! I note this sort of thing never happens to chocolate cake or ice cream.
Not going near cake icing or ice cream .

Thanks for the feedback guys. Seems it's still a mystery. An APA and another keg of soda water are going into the fridge today (even gunna stubbornly use the same bloody keg)

Gunna bring the Mrs' scales out here and weigh the kegs every bloody day for a week

Possible the fist keg was emptier than you thought and you then gassed up an empty ?

Latest posts

Back