The Monk Turns 2

• Thread starter Jovial_Monk
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jovial_Monk

Greetings all,

The Jovial Monk first opened its doors on Nov 30, 2002. We will be celebrating this with an Extravaganza at the shop on Sat Nov 27th

Starting at 10.00 I will do a mash demo, an oatmeal stout featuring protein rest, cereal mash, decoction etc. Those rocking up will get a folder of notes covering the process. If you have thought about getting into mashing, or have been thinking about doing a cereal mash but were too afraid this will be a great time to attend, very informative.

Once the brew is at the stage where the wort is boiling the real fun will begin, about 2.00pm:
- Commercial beer tastings, Suffolk Strong, Karmeliet Tripel some others like that, notes on how to taste and evelauate beer will be available.

- Discount Extravaganza. I hope to have like a dozen kegs to sell at 55 to 60 bucks each. Once they are gone I have a good collection of beer books to sell at 5.00 bucks off regular prices, we will have some prize draws etc throughtout the afternoon

- Starting at 5pm there will be a homebrew competition, not sure of a prize for the winning beer but if there is a keg left that would be a great prize, if not a How to Brew book by John Palmer.

-- NB: Please get the beers to me by Wed 24/11 so they can spend a few days settling down. Stick a label on with your name and adress snal or email naturally, and indicate the style.

- When the stout has finished its boil and chill it will be run into a cube and raffled off, proceeds of the raffle to be donated to cancer research.

Pictures will be taken of all stages of the brew, that will make a great chapter on the online Brew Manual to appear on the Monk's website: www.jovialmonk.com.au

Jovial Monk

Sounds like a good day. Too bad I live in Melbourne.

Grain and Grape has a mash demo every last Saturday of the month. i will too as soon as I pull my finger out and get a mash stand done.

From next Feb, every Thu night beginning at 6.30 will be a brew lesson/demo

Week 1: Basic kit brewing, brewing a kit with some extract, calculating OG
Week 2: Advanced kit brewing, grains, hops, pretty full on brewmath
Week 3: Part mash brewing, cereal mash brewing
Week 4: (Sat am) full mash demo

Each session costs $20, you get notes and your share of the wort made

Jovial Monk

Jovial Monk

Hmmm Dreamboat is sending a bock for the HB comp on the 27th. You don't have to be at the monk for your entry to win a prize, or pay a fee.

So don't be shy, get those entries in by Wed 22nd Nov!

What prizes there will be I am not 100% sure yet, but worthwhile anyway

Jovial Monk

Hey Monk , I would love to come to that bash if I lived in Adelaide,I know you cop a bit of sh#t from SA brewers but I find you very informative and down to earth with your views and advise on homebrewing. Hope you have a great day Monk. :chug: :chug: :chug: P.S. Not pissing in your pocket mate.

Glad I can be of help to someone!

Why not send an entry or two to the HB comp? I dunno yet HM are going to enter, hence the uncertainty about the prize(s) but they will be real.

10 Duthy St, Unley, 5061. Say what they are, style kit/pmash or full mash, etc and they will be judged by me and volunteers after 5pm

Jovial Monk

Just a reminder of the 2nd Birthday Bash this Saturday. Mash demo in the morning featuring cereal mash, step mash etc with detailed notes available to take away with you.

In the afternoon, tasting/evaluating some fine commercial imported beers. Then Discount Bonanza: kegs for $60 (doubt you will ever see kegs that cheap again, judging by what I hear down the supply channel) Books $5 off: New Brewing Lager Beer, about 10 of the Beer Styles Series incl Bock, Stout, Porter, Scotch-Belgian-Mild-Brown-Smoked Ales etc.

If you want to put an entry into the HB comp to be held from 5.15pm have them into the shop by 8.00pm tomorrow night please. Prizes will be the Fix Oktoberfest/Maerzen book for best mash and a Nov 04 Wyeast for best kit brew. Entry is free, and you are welcome to attend and help at the judging. Interstate entries welcome, you do not need to be a JM customer for this!

From today we are offering $5 raffle tickets, winner will win the cube of oatmeal stout wort to be made that day and all proceeds from the raffle will be donated to cancer reasearch

Jovial Monk

Popped into the shop this evening after well deserved day off today. Nice to see a few bottles have been entered into the comp part of the Extravaganza this Saturday, can do with a few more though.

Don't be bashful, and when dropping of the bottle(s) for judging please enter the raffle to help cancer research. $5 is a bit of a hit but cancer sucks, bigtime!

Jovial Monk

Happy birthday to the Monk.

I'll try and pop in on the afternoon for a beer.

How did you go getting a licence for the day Tom?

C&B
TDA

Great, Mark!

Arranged the license some time ago

Will pick your pocket for a raffle ticket while you are here: be warned :)

Jovial Monk

Don't forget the 'Monk's 2nd Birthday bash is today

Mash demo involving cereal mash and step mash starting at 10.00am sharp. This will be a great opportunity to learn about mashing.

Later in the day, beer tasting, discount bonanza then the HB comp judging after 5.00pm.

If you cannot be there for all the day, why not drive past and drop off an entry for the HB comp? Entry is free, with an Oktoberfest Book and a WYeast liquid yeast as prizes.

JM

Happy birthday to the Monk Shop

Hope you have a fantastic day

Maybe some piccies??

good day

got a couple looking at mash, a couple others trying a decent beer pack at last, all the American Pale Ale Pack as it happened, once they do the boil with the tree generous Amarillo additions (60, 15, 0) they won't go back to Muscle Builder or whatever :) Similarly some beer tasting widened peoples beer horizons, plenty of business to flow from that and hopefully a new masher down the track?

A few books and kegs sold

Cream of the cake moneywise, reflux still + fermenter + Z filter

Just boiling the stout now. Too knackered to judge homebrew, those entries will need to wait

JM

Hehehehehe walked in the shop 11.00am today, shop is smelling great from the stout I made in and in front of the shop. Hmmmmmm nice dark farinaceous notes with a hint of Northdown hops.

Brewing is great fun! Even in 33C heat or whatever it was yesterday

Jovial Monk

Latest posts

Back