The Missus And The Mash...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cam89brewer

Reaction score
Does any one else have the missus complaining about the smell and how long it takes to mash!?!? :rolleyes:

Does any one else have the missus complaining about the smell and how long it takes to mash!?!? :rolleyes:

Cam I am 10 minutes into a mash at the moment and guess what.......just copped a serve from SWMBO about exactly that! :angry:

All the time, especially when the hops go in, she can't stand the smell, I just don't understand!!!!

Yeh i know i am about to start the boil now and what makes it worse is that she also has the P word at the moment... <_<

Yeh i know i am about to start the boil now and what makes it worse is that she also has the P word at the moment... <_<

Poor *******..........that makes it even worse!

oh and i meant pregnant not period. Just thought i would clarify that :lol:

You fellas are not alone,SWAMBO reckons it smells like horse food! and hops stink!!! :wacko:

oh and i meant pregnant not period. Just thought i would clarify that :lol:

Oh, I was gonna suggest you watch this for some advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1
SWMBO and her Aunty hate the smell for some reason.

My missus likes the smell of malt in the house, but my brewery lives in the shed.

I reckon it has to be gender specific... SWMBO is the same and can't stand the smell.

Mine likes the smell right throughout the entire brewing process but I brew in the garage and shes said I absolutely must not brew in the house as shes worried the smell will stay in the house even though we have a super turbo charged rangehood that would suck the wort straight out of the pot if I had it on full..

She was at work yesterday when I caramelized some wort on the stove in the kitchen and the whole house smelt of sweet caramel toffee...It was gone by the time she got home. :icon_cheers:

My wife loves the malty goodness in the air, but prefers me to brew when she's not there so we can spend "quality" time together <_<

Hence, I'm brewing today.

i brew when she is not home, usually a Friday, all day to myself, no worries about smell or dirty looks.

I certainly get complaints about all the boxes of beer in the garage/pool room/brewery...haha

Smell doesn't seem to bother her much but me brewing in the kitchen seems to make her a little grumpy...once me new sheds built at our new block, i'll be a man to myself brewing peacefully...also get to start building the 3V system...joy!

If she complains tell her "your lucky I am not a hunter for a hobby and bringing home a big samba deer or a razorback and gutting it in the garage, you think this mash smells bad, wait until you smell the guts coming out of one of those things, f-off and let me brew".

If she complains tell her "your lucky I am not a hunter for a hobby and bringing home a big samba deer or a razorback and gutting it in the garage, you think this mash smells bad, wait until you smell the guts coming out of one of those things, f-off and let me brew".

My wife gets best of both worlds, one weekend I'm cutting up a deer, the next it brewing time.

My wife's only concern is a passer by is going to think I'm running a meth lab, pretty stupid really, can't imagine someone running a meth lab with the garage wide open within view from the street but I just smile and give the automated response 'Yes Dear'. :lol:

My wife's only concern is a passer by is going to think I'm running a meth lab, pretty stupid really, can't imagine someone running a meth lab with the garage wide open within view from the street but I just smile and give the automated response 'Yes Dear'. :lol:

Start wearing a yellow jumpsuit and respirator mask and she will really freak out.

Glad to see you guys have it under control.

imagesCAN2KPHJ.jpg

Back