The Men Who Made Us Fat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
absolutely appropriate to Australia. 12 parts on YouTube, click at the end of each segment to go to the next.

SWMBO has eaten all the chocolate biscuits and I WANT ONE

waaaaahhhhhhhhh

Last edited by a moderator:
And I just asked SWMBO to bring McD's home for dinner tonight.

haha the man who makes us fat is looking at us in the mirror!

A myth about people being in control of what goes in their mouth? Or making a choice on what type of food they eat, and how much? and whether they choose to live healthy?. In this day and age, ignorance about what and how much you eat is a bit rich don't you think?. Im by no means an athlete who lives on a spartan diet, but at this time of year when the jeans get a little bit tighter, i know exactly why, and i know exactly who is responsible. Me :icon_cheers:

I hate eating, i hate buying food, i dont like wasting time eating....im 6'3" and 74kg...if i never had to eat again i would be happy...i drink to excess and get minimal exercise except a very labour intensive job...i dont have body issues or eating disorders, i just cant be bothered with eating...i cant even imagine how people can eat so much food and why they crave such crap food to put in their mouths.

I'll give it a look when all these pesky customers stop interrupting me on the condition it not in the vein of that appalling piece of film making regurgitated by meat hating half wit Morgan Spurlock.
Remember 'Supersize Me'?

Bottom line however always seems to be we have become sedentary and overfed. It's all about choice and the caloric load delivered.
Fruit for example, fruit is a wonderful food. But take half a dozen apples and a mango, run it through an industrial juicer then dispense it in a giant cup under the guise of health food, and you basically just produced a insulin spiking sugar load equivalent to a large thickshake.

A myth about people being in control of what goes in their mouth? Or making a choice on what type of food they eat, and how much? and whether they choose to live healthy?. In this day and age, ignorance about what and how much you eat is a bit rich don't you think?. Im by no means an athlete who lives on a spartan diet, but at this time of year when the jeans get a little bit tighter, i know exactly why, and i know exactly who is responsible. Me :icon_cheers:

Exactly.

A lack of self control does not allow people to blame others for what's in the food they shovel into their mouths.

I was reading about some studies at Syd Uni. Seems that if you eat a diet high in carbs, you get hungrier, but a diet high in protein means a shorter life expectancy, hard to find a good balance. (at least thats how it works with mice).
The whole obesity thing is very complex, issues like satiety, impulse control, metabolism, heredity etc. But one thing forsure, taking your calories in liquid form is really bad, when you walk down the supermarket aisle and see all the sugary soda, something is very wrong.

I was reading about some studies at Syd Uni. Seems that if you eat a diet high in carbs, you get hungrier, but a diet high in protein means a shorter life expectancy

So you mean to tell me that a balanced diet is the way to go. No way - i don't believe you.

Exactly.

A lack of self control does not allow people to blame others for what's in the food they shovel into their mouths.

At an individual level, yes it is that simple. At the level of a whole society/global economy its far more complicated than that. particularly in the developing world. You have issues of access, pricing, availability, education....

The globesity program that was on the ABC a few weeks ago is a good introduction. its still on their iview thingy. In Mexico coke is more available and cheaper than clean drinking water...

Cheers
Dave

At an individual level, yes it is that simple. At the level of a whole society/global economy its far more complicated than that. particularly in the developing world. You have issues of access, pricing, availability, education....

The globesity program that was on the ABC a few weeks ago is a good introduction. its still on their iview thingy. In Mexico coke is more available and cheaper than clean drinking water...

Cheers
Dave

Bribies comments were directed at Australia so yes, it is that simple.

I agree, in developing countries it is a completely different story.

So you mean to tell me that a balanced diet is the way to go. No way - i don't believe you.

Well just telling people people to eat healthy food doesn't work, also telling people they're fat and should eat less. If you can't control things at the consumption end (people will just keep eating too much unhealthy food) then maybe we should look at the food supply. You can have great tasting healthy food, but for food processors it's cheaper just to throw in heaps of fat, salt and sugar.

I hate eating, i hate buying food, i dont like wasting time eating....im 6'3" and 74kg...if i never had to eat again i would be happy...i drink to excess and get minimal exercise except a very labour intensive job...i dont have body issues or eating disorders, i just cant be bothered with eating...i cant even imagine how people can eat so much food and why they crave such crap food to put in their mouths.

Shut up, get back in that mash tun and keep shovelling, then when that is done, get in the fermenter and scrape that crud off the walls.

Sheesh, assistant brewers.

Just wait till you get a real girlfriend and she can cook good food, Mrs Palmer is a terrible cook.

Back