The Malt Shovel Does It Again

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
As anyone tryed the lastest creation from The Malt Shovel? Its a limited edition Golden Ale and its tops. I saw a fella drop a couple of to Mark, at the newest Newcastle H.B. shop, i thought i should do a follow up. Not bad at all. I would be interested for some feedback on what you all think and what its hopped with.
GREAT DROP.

Thats not the Golden Ale you're talking about is it?
I've tried a Pale Ale at the Brewhouse and I thought it was very Coopers Pale.

It's either the Ltd Ed Golden Ale or the Strong Ale. I bet it's not the strong ale, as it's dark.
The Golden is (according to the label) hopped with Amarillo, and that gives it a fruity aftertaste. There appears to be little complexity apart from the flavour/aroma hopping, and that makes it a good guzzler.

At $53ish per carton, who can afford to guzzle much, though?

Sorry guys it was the GOLDEN ALE, i thought it was a cracker

I'm drinking it as i type. Not bad for megaswill. In terms of HB not all that distinctive. For me it has a real grainy tasting background

Will

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed drinking it, until it got a bit warm.
Like I said, it's a good guzzling beer. Just a bit exy for guzzling.

And plus, we home brewers all know we could brew a similar if not a better beer ourselves!!

Will

PS its interesting, MS is promoting as a special release beer yet, its they say its only there "house brew for this summer" (according to the label. IE its a special release for an average brew)

I reckon that the term "house brew" means that these guys (@ Squire) made themselves a huge batch to be consumed in-house, and are selling the excess at premium prices to the public.

I note that they are calling it Limited Release, not special release, referring to quantity and not quality.

True, true. Good point. Damn the wording of advertising etc

Will

sorry sjw i thought the beer was average nothing special

Latest posts

Back