The Local Taphouse Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woo Hoo! Now if beer-desert Brisbane could get a Local Taphouse.....

I was talking to the guy from the TapHouse at the ANHC gala dinner Snow and I'm afraid the answer is not for a few years, at the least.
The general feeling was that as much as we'd love on Brisbane in general wasn't ready for one yet, especially as they generally prefer to not be right in the heart of the CBD.
I'm afraid the Platform Bar at Grand Central is going to be as good as we get for a little while...

Got down to the Melbourne taphouse last week and agree it is the ant's pants. Looked at the beer list and my head was spinning. Crazy obscure beers I normally hunt around town for all in one place. The beer garden upstairs is pretty sweet too.

I think I have found a new place to call home... :chug: Hope they're reading all the posts above and seriously consider one for up in Brissie - sounds like there's plenty of people hankering for it.

Hopper.

LAGERS
James Squire Pilsner (NSW)
Murrays Pilsner (NSW)
Trumer German Pilsner (Austria)
Hofbrau Munich Helles (Germany)
Kostritzer Munich Dunkel (Germany)

ALES
Coopers Sparkling Ale (SA)
Matilda Bay Fat Yak APA (VIC)
Wicked Elf APA (NSW)
Barons Black Wattle Ale (NSW)
5 Islands Spangled Wheat (NSW)
Wig & Pen 'Kamberra' Klsch (ACT)
Mountain Goat Hightail English Pale Ale (VIC)
Feral Razorback Barley Wine (WA)
Little Creatures U.S Pale Ale (WA)
Leffe Blonde (Belgium)
James Squire Amber Ale (NSW)
Hoegaarden Wit (Belgium)
Franziskaner Hefeweizen (Germany)
Bridge Road 'Chevalier Saison' (VIC)
Jamieson 'Beast IPA' (VIC)
2 Brothers 'Growler' Brown Ale (VIC)

Where to start?

The Darlo Local is directly on my way home - they weren't open yesterday when I went past (~5:30pm) but I'll keep an eye out tonight.

I've just moved to Melbourne and live right around the corner from the Taphouse. What a stroke of luck. Amazing beer line up, good food, good times.

And Hargraves Hill ESB...my goodness. That is a cracker!

Hope this thread is not too old... was searching for a review of Chevalier Saison and only found this thread. Just enjoying a bottle of Chevalier Saison (Bridge Road Brewers, Victoria) picked up from 5th Element in South Bank Brisbane. They have an impressive beer list and a good selection of take away. Not to mention the bottle shop in Westend (Brisbane) where they have a great selection including Cantillon. Almost cried for joy seeing a range of Cantillon in Brisbane. Slowing working my way through the selections from both places. :chug: Both places stock a range of Rogue Brewery beers and many others, so not all is lost in Brisbane...

Not affiliated with either place.

Spent a few days in Melbourne after Christmas, and have to say I enjoyed all three visits I made to The Local Taphouse. The wife & I stopped in the upstairs bar on Dec 29 for lunch and beers, and enjoyed it much. I think my wife posted a review on Urban Spoon from her iPhone as we enjoyed the great dessert!

The next day we were shopping in South Yarra and Prahran, and caught the tram to St Kilda for a beer (Feral Hop-Hog for me, Rogue St DryHopped Red for my sweet) before heading back to the hotel. Wife kind of got a bit dehydrated with the 38 sunny dry heat, but it was only 4PM and I had an all-day met-link ticket. So I caught the train to Balaclava and went and had a Sail & Anchor IPA, A Bridge Roads Galaxy IPA, and a Feral Razorback barleywine. I was happy! Was back by 7:30.

Took a few pix of the place, and of the outside as well. Didn't get to check out the lower part though. That will have to be next time.

Quite a nice bar The Local. Wishing we had one here in Brizzy. I know the Platform tries, but I would like to see some Mt Tamborine Bitter, Sunny Coast Dunkel, Stone Beer, and Brisbane Brewing beers in tap regular. Its one reason I miss ye olde Brewhouse... you knew they always had good local brew.

I'm digressing.... Back to my visit at the Local ... the Boatrocker Alpha Queen and Mountain Goat Hightail were great too. I've had Hightail in bottles as I find them at Cellerbrations on Campbell St at times, but its much better on tap.

Back