The Lid

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim_Levet

Reaction score
I recently purchased 2 x 25 litre Carbouy's. The arrived without a hole for an airlock, so I removed the rubber seal and screwed the lid on, just not real tight.
Works a treat! Lid doesnt get jammed, and no uglies can live in and around the seal. Does anybody else do this, or use the trusty Glad Wrap?
James

Jim_Levet said:
I recently purchased 2 x 25 litre Carbouy's. The arrived without a hole for an airlock, so I removed the rubber seal and screwed the lid on, just not real tight.
Works a treat! Lid doesnt get jammed, and no uglies can live in and around the seal. Does anybody else do this, or use the trusty Glad Wrap?
James
[post="92039"][/post]​

Jim,

Sounds a bit risky to me, especially if there are vinegar flies about - They don't need much of a space to crawl through...

I have never had a problem with the standard lid, just take the rubber seal out each time you clean it and your done.

I don't bother with an airlock anymore, just cover the airlock hole with a loose piece of santized plastic to act a valve. Ferment in chest freezers so no vinegar fly problems. Have to keep the freezer spotless though. When I eventually purchase more fermenters will be looking for hole free lids. From reading previous threads we're not the only ones not bothering with airlocks.

Jim_Levet said:
James
[post="92039"][/post]​

Yep, I pulled the rubber seals out of the lids. Makes cleaning the lid a lot easier too.
Vinegar flies are only a problem if the lid is left really loose.
cheers
Darren

Latest posts

Back