The Lethal Money Brewing Coffin Keezer build (lots of pics)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leighaus

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Ill firstly state that i know there is a kegging setup thread, but considering how much content im going to be adding, i figured a separate thread would be good.
Secondly, i have no carpentry skills, so whilst i tried to make things work as best i could, its not 100%. Makes it hard with you're using timber with the odd bow in it too.

I've noticed a distinct lack of coffin keezers in Australia, so i took most of my inspiration from the HB forums (US site).

Firstly, bought a second hand chest freezer for $40 on gumtree
IMAG1275.jpg

i made a base using off-cut meter lengths of pine, which i then covered in a sheet of ply.

IMAG1278.jpg

Then it was a matter of framing up around the keezer, leaving plenty of room on the compressor side if needed for servicing etc (and a little storage spot). You need to allow a good 3 inches from the external framing to the walls of your freezer to allow for heat dissipation.

IMAG1283.jpg

I then mounted three pieces of dress pine to the lid. I went with pine purely because its light weight. *updates on top to come*. I placed the three pieces onto another piece of thin MDF using liquid nails. I clamped it all up and chucked some of my weights on top (conveniently nearby as im building in my gym shed).

IMAG1335.jpg

Next was mounting the lid. This was done with m8 long threaded bolts, washers and nuts, countersunk into the pine top. Once tightened, this made the lid and new lid very tight. Zero movement. At the rear section of the lid i made 3 50mm holes with a hole saw. I actually drilled the lids 3x50mm holes first. This made lining them up a little more finicky, but it also meant it was easier to use a cutting compound with the holesaw on the metal... Anyway, we got there in the end. The idea behind three holes: centre hole for beer lines, and one for suction (fan mounted to underside) and one for exhaust to keep the air flowing through the coffin.

IMAG1362.jpg

IMAG1363.jpg

I'll be honest, i got to this point, and was kind of stuck for a bit. I knew what i wanted to do, but noone else at all in the entire universe really documented how they assembled the coffin seciton of their build. I decided on MDF, mainly because it is extremely straight and affordable.

I went and bought a nail gun, a brad nailer and a mitre saw to aid in my build. My god, best tools ever.

IMAG1409.jpg

IMAG1478.jpg

So i made good use of my mitre saw and cut up some sections of MDF. I then brad nailed secondarry pieces to the insides of each piece that would allow proper anchorage without penetrating through the front. You can see the pine top has been stained with 1 coat of teak, just to bring out the timber a bit.

IMAG1427.jpg

My coffin is 700 wide and just over 200 deep. I went and spent $150 bucks on offcut spotted gum to dress the framing with. Using one of the pieces i drilled out my holes for the perlicks.

IMAG1457.jpg

Drilled out and hit the chisel into the side to mount the STC1000. And theres an inside shot of the coffin in progress. I also installed a 12v Dc press LED switch. This is to turn on/off the LED that is concealed below the taps. Along with that is a long life 12V-dc fan that uses some low wear bearing option and is humidity/damp area safe. This was mounted to the under side of the fridge to suck air up into the coffin.

IMAG1459.jpg

IMAG1460.jpg

Built the rear end of the coffin and went with a hinged door. Off to bunnings and bought a roll of foam insulation which is self adhesive. This is to try and keep the temps down and prevent excessive cycling of the freezer. The door is really snug and actually holds a pretty good seal itself. I still installed a magnetic catch to help it stay closed.

IMAG1473.jpg

Using some offcut, i created a partition between the beer (wet side) and the electronic (dry side).

IMAG1475.jpg

Taps are in, and the LED strip light switched on. Pictures dont really show it off too well. Hard to take a photo that is real to life..

IMAG1477.jpg

Heres the front end of the spotted gum all mitred, ready to be nailed ot the pine framing.

IMAG1479.jpg

Heres my co2 and dual mini's from cheekypeak... awesome little regulators btw :)

IMAG1417.jpg

Thats where I'm at right now. More updates to come. I've tapped a keg of cider in there at the moment and done a test pour. Its the best feeling and not even finished yet.

To do list:
*fit up spotted gum
*paint mdf
*clear seal spotted gum
*place spotted gum skirt on lid
*epoxy pine top.
*order custom bar mat
*????
*profit.

Looking the goods, profit indeed.

One cool thing I did with mine was put a 2 way reed switch on the lid and some lights around the rim for visibility and bling.

Door opens, lights on and fan off. Door shuts lights off and fan on.

Thanks guys, doesnt look like much, but it's taken quite a few hours and cost me a small fortune ($1300 roughly)

Re the bumper plates- Powerlifting and oly lifting.. Did a bit over a year of crossfit, didn't love it or hate it.
Just prefer what I'm doing now.

on my way to crossfit now... lifting is the best part.

You've inspired me to try and stick my STC in my keezer collar but not sure about condensation. Mine would basically be inside the freezer

leighaus said:
Thanks guys, doesnt look like much, but it's taken quite a few hours and cost me a small fortune ($1300 roughly)

Re the bumper plates- Powerlifting and oly lifting.. Did a bit over a year of crossfit, didn't love it or hate it.
Just prefer what I'm doing now.
All good mate, was just kidding (I'm into power lifting myself, trying for a 210kg deadlift this afternoon)
I'm really not a fan of crossfit, but that's mostly due to bad trainers, not the system itself (though my physio mate said it's the best thing that's ever happened to his business $$)

Moad said:
on my way to crossfit now... lifting is the best part.

You've inspired me to try and stick my STC in my keezer collar but not sure about condensation. Mine would basically be inside the freezer
:icon_offtopic: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/80118-tahoose-keezer-build/

Moad if you want your stc out of the way check out my build, it might be an idea for you. have that side compartment set up for the co2 and stc.

Nice work leighaus, thanks for sharing your build. Have had a look at that HBT coffin collection and it is a nice look.

Cheers mate, I don't have a side compartment though, just an "extension" of the freezer walls so it would literally be in the freezer. It is a one way operation so if it isn't going to hold up I don't want to ruin my woodwork!

and 210 thats impressive spork, going for 200 next week myself.

Should have looked at the signature, i thought you were in the build planning stage. Silly me

Moad said:
and 210 thats impressive spork, going for 200 next week myself.
Someone showed me the video of Hugh Jackman doing 3 x 180kg the other day, made me feel pretty damn awesome that a lazy fat bloke like me is stronger than him
Haven't even gotten myself a belt yet, my training buddy reckons I'd hit 230 with a belt, but I'm taking it cautious for now as I've had a few back problems in the past due to scoliosis (though my chronic pain is gone now, putting that down to the deadlifts strengthening my back)

Been pretty busy of late unfortunately, so not much progress... Just done the coats of black primer and metallic charcoal for the MDF 'coffin'.

IMAG1566.jpg

Really happy with my colour choice, and once the clear stain is on the timber it will really pop.

Just got 4 coats of clear to go and then im done with the MDF. Still need to finish fabbin' up the spotted gum, ive had to re-order some slightly longer brad nails to get better purchase into the pine, which i cant find in store so ordered online. Once i have them, it will come together quickly.

Also need to finalise my lip for the top so i can pour the epoxy top.. then its all over and ready for the lounge room.

210kg deadlift, whoa, saw a 78kg bloke heavin 135kg yesterday. Made me feel like drinking a beer :D

All things were closing in on completion...

Unfortunately, the 2-pack epoxy didn't cure properly... which makes for a right PITA to fix.
I have a single pack polyurethane to replace it, but it really hit the back burner whilst I've been busy in the yard.

Once i've fixed up that mess i'll nearly be done. There's just a small Tasmanian oak trim to go on top of the taps, and to put the last pieces of spotted gum on. It serves beer just fine, so there's been no massive rush.

I also bought a rustic bottle opener to go on the RHS of the taps, and i will probably put a third tap in on the left.

10990651_1376257882689560_1886991655_n.jpg

I've got a coat of clear to go on all the raw timber still.

Latest posts

Back