"the Knowledge" By Little Creatures

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyrob

Halfluck Brewing
Reaction score
Over the last few weeks 'The Knowledge' has been brewing here at Little Creatures. This special one off brew was created to celebrate the arrival of our new hop shipment for 2008.

'The Knowledge' combines huge amounts of Cascade and Chinook hops in the hopback, with a touch of NZ hop flowers to add a different dimension, with bitterness weighing in around 45IBU (yes, that's high). There is a big malt hit to balance all of this out, aided by a healthy dose of Cara and Munich malts. All this leaves us with an intensely hoppy, malty, bitter contraption with a very dark ruby-red colour.

What is 'The Knowledge'? Is it beer? Or is it something more? How can I obtain some? Well, come to the brewery from the afternoon of Friday 1st Feb, and you can try to gain some... Available while kegs last...

Sounds interesting.

I am comming over from Dubbo on Tuesday, hope there will be some left to try. :unsure:

Daawl

It might be worth a visit - is anyone up for a mini crawl in the couple of weekends? MM would be worth a try too.

45IBU is a high bitterness?

lol, for a weizen maybe :p

[edit]

would love to come try some though, but being in tassie poses a slight problem

aided by a healthy dose of Cara and Munich malts.

do you think they mean caramunich and light munich?

NZ hops are probably B Saaz, but i'll have to taste it tomorrow and find out!

To all us folk in gods great Queensland it might as well be called "The Pricktease" :angry:

:(
Any chance of kegs finding their way across the Nullarbor?

:(

No bottles then?

:angry:

Just happens I'll be driving past round lunchtime tomorrow. Fancy That!!
We'll see what passenger Enid M says.

I think I may be making a slight deviation past there on the way home from work tomorrow too.
:rolleyes:

I too see some that some technical support (my job) will be required in the Fremantle area in the next few days

hehe was thinking the same :icon_cheers:
Perhaps some of you guys should put your beer on the spectro and see how bitter it really is, rather than what BeerSmith or ProMash suggest. ProMsh is just dead wrong in its presumption that no bitterness will come from hops added post-boil. 45 bu is seriously bitter.

Given that LCPA is quoted as being under 40IBU...I'd tend to agree :icon_drunk:

Might have to make a slight detour on the weekend

Hi all,
Below are comparisons of the Promash values, and the spec values from Matilda bay lab before it shut down.

Beer Alc Bitterness

Subluxator (IIPA) 8.7 (8.5) 66.7 (70)

Punishing Kiss (Triple) N/A (9.5) 17.6 (30) (this tastes too sweet, probably a brewing screw up)

Barley Wine (Yankee style) 10.5 (10.5) 76.2 (80)

Interesting point Dig. What is involved in accurately measuring the IBUs in a beer sample ?

I've never been confident with the bitterness of my beers. This is perhaps more to do with storage issues than Promash, but I try to use a particular variety of hops (northern brewer usually) for bitterness and hope that the seasonal differences can be adjusted for. The assumption/hope being that I would get a more consistent level of bitterness. We are still getting 2005 hops in new orders - all the variables of storage over that 3 year period render the number on the pack pretty irrelevant I would have thought.

<<back on topic>>

So, any reviews Dougiechap, Tony & Mrs M.....Kai ?

So, does anyone want to make a time to meet there this arvo?

'The Knowledge' combines huge amounts of Cascade

Thought they'd try something new hey? LOL

Yet another beer from LC that has prominent cascade flavour. Not that I don't like it. In fact my favourite beer to brew is my own APA with extra Cascade (and I still drink LCPA over here in Canberra, where it is cheaper than there in Perth btw :) ) however I'd love to see something from LC that breaks away from the "same old" .

Sinkas - I'd love to but can't this arvo. Would be up for a walk-around next Saturday though if anyone else is interested.

Troywhite - I suspect that they are trialling the new seasons hops to balance/blend them out for the main run of LCPA - I've been wrong many times before though ! It would be great if LCs did do seasonal brews - but I reckon they're too busy making money.

I'm coming down tonight but it wont be till after 10pm, because I have late brewing duties tonight, to tell you the truth I'm getting to old for this shit, give me a 9 till 5 job and I think I be a much happier man or a least much drunker on a Friday night.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back