The Kettle Is Complete.....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Iguana

Reaction score
Here is the kettle i finished yesterday......50 L capacity....no more 3 pot boils for me....

IMGP0339.JPG

Looks good...

But IMHO/preference would have used a SS ball valve on the output ...

Flame Suit On :

:ph34r:

You're right.....That would be best..

It's chrome plated....i'am assuming there's no problem with heat for this type of ball valve?

i have SS 1/2 inch ball valves that are female both ends...pretty cheap

let me know if that is the size you need...and if you are interested...

Green Iguana said:
It's chrome plated....i'am assuming there's no problem with heat for this type of ball valve?
Are you sure its chrome plated? Looks very similar to nickel plated taps I have.

If have never heard of those style of taps not being able to stand the heat of brewing. Of course if you put the flame on them directly you might have a problem.

Ken,

No offence, but you should try to respond to a post without trying to sell something :huh: ;) :lol:

Would you like fries with that sir?

You peolpe old enough to remember the TV show 'Greenacres'

remember Mr Haney?

Always had sometime for sale , just at the right time and price?

Kinda reminds me of someone

way to go mr lizard.looking good.
outa curiosity why have you a washing machine in your brewery? :lol:

didnt they name some game shows after ken?
springing to mind.....

deal or no deal
the price is right
;) :lol:

cheers
big d

Hi all,
just off subject a bit. Whats a good price for the SS 1/2 inch ball valves. I have seen some for around 6$ , brand new apparently. I dont teally need them at the moment but if thats a good price I can always pick them up and use them later.
GI the kettle looks great but are you going to boil on top of the bbq?. Will it hold the weight?

cheers

can't say I have bought any yet but $6 sounds bloody cheap, I have paid $10+ for brass ones :huh: if there not dodgey they may be worth grabbing.

Where did you get the end piece to weld onto the keg?
I'm currently making mine, and am trying the nut and screw solution as i don't know any stainless welders, but can't get it to seal.

My fittings are not welded, I use 1/2" fittings and rubber washers. Try having it removable before you get it welded, I really like the fact that I can remove and clean my fittings after each brew. And, so far, I have had no issues with the seals leaking.

I filled the keg up to 45 L last night with some vinegar......the barbie held the wieght no problems...although the possibility for 30 L of boling wort to fall on me has led to further supports being installed...

the male 1/2 inch connections are SS and from a plumbing supplier for $4 each....the ball in the valve is SS but the rest is chrome plated.. full SS were 3 times more expensive...

I'am using an identical cut down keg as a HLT.....55 L esky serves as the mush/lauter tun....very basic three tier.... wrapped 15m of 3/8 inch copper pipe around a cornelius keg today for the immersion chiller....should have gotten a CFC from goliath...that's a good deal considering 18 m of copper was $81......will update 'green iguana's garage brewery' photos next brew day......

JasonY said:
can't say I have bought any yet but $6 sounds bloody cheap, I have paid $10+ for brass ones :huh: if there not dodgey they may be worth grabbing.
OK....

I was not responding to a post to sell something....

The first post i made just represented my opion that ss was better, the reply was that he would have got ss if it was not too expensive.

Hence, my reply of saying i had some cheap - ask Arthur Daily - you never let a chance go by.

So, i have ss yellow handled butterfly vlaves (female on both ends) for 25.00 - can be supplied with one free 12mm or 8mm food grade plastic nipple on the outlet.

Can source 12mm - 1/2inch BSP hex nipples male on both sides for around 12.00 and SS nut and tail with 6mm or 12mm barb for around 16.50 ea...great for hooking SS braid to for mash tuns or line to for false bottoms - makes it secure and removable - just supplied one to Wee Stu for his kettle.

Just trying to help - and keep my brewing costs down a bit...

BroEntrepeneertryingtomakeaquidtokeepthemissusandmehappy.

GMK said:
- just supplied one to Wee Stu for his kettle.
Indeeed you did Kenny, and no money actually changed hands ;)
Now my 50l boiler is almost complete too, I just have to get the washers worked properly. I'm sure it won't surprise many of you that I am not trying a welded solution!
Anyway, many thanks to both Kenny and Big D for helping me out at the cost of nothing more than friendship, and to Sameagain for helping bring the whole thing together.
Gotta love this hobby and this site, brings hope to the hand tool challenged amongst all of us :p
Sorry, no pictures this end - a digitial camera is way down the list of wee stu's brury acquisitions.

hi stu
no probs mate and it will only cost you a few ag beers when im next in adelaide so you have from now until i next arrive to perfect your system and make a nice beer.

have fun stu

cheers
big d

Better get them cranking Stu , I"ll be back in November

Back