The Hopinator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
Here is a pic of my latest creation, the hopinator. I plan to use it for dry hopping, Hope the pic works. The measurements are 85mm long by 55mm wide. Im guessing if push came to shove, i'd fit 120 or so grams in it!!!!.

IMG_1765.JPG

The end caps are just dics with a small groove machined to fit the ss mesh snugly. I drilled a hole in both of the end caps, and it all bolts together. Was bored at work, so decided to do this. If i find some more ss mesh that thick, i will make some more, to hand out to IBU's members. I spose now i can make a "hop monster".

that looks interesting.. makes me think of something along the lines of a diesel water trap with a stainless basket...

That looks a bit like "Randalls" cousin,

doesn't it big d :lol:

Cheers

Or an air filter ?? :)

Good job. Let us all know how it works.

Warren -

mmm think I saw one of them in an old tractor once.. Hyd oil strainer ...

Looks good mje :)

Oh to have the time and materials to just play at work ... :)
Cheers bunyip

For those that dont know, Randall was a name given to a hopback system which is based on a water filter housing :) It was developed in the NT I believe.

Your idea is a good one mje.

Is it for hop plugs and whole hops or will it contain the debris from pellets as well?

Cheers

Looks just great. :super: Please don't think I'm being picky here, but would a stainless steel wing nut save the hassle of getting out the spanner all the time? (with another welded on to the bolthead for gripping of course). :D :D

dicko said:
For those that dont know, Randall was a name given to a hopback system which is based on a water filter housing :) It was developed in the NT I believe.

Your idea is a good one mje.

Is it for hop plugs and whole hops or will it contain the debris from pellets as well?

Cheers

Would it be possible to make up a hopinator out of termimesh with a couple of grooved stainless steel rings on the end joined together with stainless steel rod to strengthen & to prevent buckling when tightened? :blink:

MJE,
Looks good. Do you drop it into the bottom of a keg or pump through itz?
cheers
Darren

Guys, it will be for pellets, although now i may get some flowers purely to use in it. Tidalpete, the bolt head is actually welded on to one of the endplates, so i dont have to tighten it up too much, but you're right, it would be easier and i may do that, but finding a ss wingnut may be difficult at work. By termimesh do you mean fine and/or course ss mesh??, i do have access to this at work in varying grades, and was going to use that first, but its a pain to work with, and you try welding that thin ss, its a nightmare with a stick welder :D . Darren, i will just be dropping it into the keg. I may drill a hole in the nut to put some ss wire or fishing line to suspend it off the trub, but im lazy so it will more than likely just sit on the bottom of the fermentor! :D.

dicko said:
[post="62476"][/post]​
Here was me thinking it was a US invention.

I've recently built a Randal type unit as a hopback.
I'm yet to test it in production to see how it goes. If all goes well I'll post the details and the pictures.

Beers,
Doc

sosman said:
dicko said:
[post="62476"][/post]​
Here was me thinking it was a US invention.
[post="62565"][/post]​

Hi Sosman,
You may be correct but I based my above statement on the fact that it was about a year or so ago that I saw one of these units at an Adelaide brewday and it was in the possession of a well known AHB identity who currently resides in Arnehmland.
Cheers

lookout all you beer beasties the hopinatoorrrr is here and if you dont behave he will be baaaack.or is it the mje1980oooorr. sorry mate could,nt help myself.looks like a good one if you have an idea,run with it.it can only help. its what the site is all about.cheers

mje1980 said:
By termimesh do you mean fine and/or course ss mesh??, i do have access to this at work in varying grades, and was going to use that first, but its a pain to work with, and you try welding that thin ss, its a nightmare with a stick welder :D .
[post="62542"][/post]​
I think termimesh is very fine. Also another crowd called Melwire makes that kind of thing. Rather than welding it, you could presumably roll some up and put inside what you have already made.

Hop pellet residue tends to clog almost anything.

mje1980 said:
By termimesh do you mean fine and/or course ss mesh??, i do have access to this at work in varying grades, and was going to use that first, but its a pain to work with, and you try welding that thin ss, its a nightmare with a stick welder

mje1980,
Don't know if I've got fine or coarse termimesh (I get offcuts free from the building game & have only seen the one grade) but it's pretty fine & looks as suitable for hop pellets as anything can be. I have experimented on it with food-grade solder & it works a treat. Folding over the cut ends a couple of times makes it a little stronger & easier to solder too. If you tried the termimesh way you could make one of the bracing rods as long ad you needed with a hook on the end to hang over the kettle rim & bend it out to get away from the side of the kettle (or just do the same with your (great) hopinator. :) I have made up custom wing nuts without much effort. :D

Sosman,
That's a good idea. You could use a (can't remember the name --- lap joint? :unsure: ) like in sheetmatal work & solder along the finished article.

Well, the hopinator is now in use :) . I have just kegged a batch of my house ale, and i threw it in the keg with 20g EKG. Was a bit optimistic before when i guessed it would hold 120g of pellets!!. But it would still fit a good 70-80g, so it will serve me fine. The keg is gassin up now, so in a couple of days, i will be testing it out. It should be good, as the dip tube on my keg is right in the middle at the bottom of the keg, and the hopinator naturally falls into that spot because of the shape of the keg, so im expecting heaps of hop aroma and some flavour too!!, cant wait!, will post tasting notes!!

Well, this experiment has turned into a bit of a disaster!. I think i'll rename this beer Metallicale haha. The beer is not infected, but has a serious metallic taste, obviously, boiling the "hopinator" for 10 mins was not good enough. Maybe i should have wiped it down with a cloth as well. I really thought a 10 min boil would clean the thing out. Bit of a bummer, and a waste of ingredients, but, i will be very thorough next time and will be VERY sure to clean the thing properly. I will do the honourable thing and put the batch out of its misery, with a tear in my eye, and a beer close by B)

Yours miserably

Mark

Can't tell you about termimesh, but i can tell you that hop bags from the local hbs are great!. Re usable, easy to clean. What more can you ask for. Got one in a keg of "london pilsner" at the moment with 5g each of hallertau, simcoe, pacific gem, amarillo, and cascade, and i can definately say i will be doing this again. Faaarken great aroma and flavour.

P.S the hopinator has been permanently retired. I think the metallic taste came from the fact that i had welded it. Not 100% sure though.

Back