The Hop Stopper

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Collecting from the bottom centre of the kettle, would there be any problems with picking up extra Hot Break material?

I imagin most of the hot break will settle out in the first few hours in the fermenter and most people I know drop the wort from one fermenter to another after a few hours potentially resolving this...

I made one using one of those fine mesh SS covers that sit on top of a frying pan to stop your fried eggs spitting all over the cooker.

It clogged, and the wort trapped underneath it tended to scorch.

I prefer a hop basket that sits inside the immersion chiller and allows me to yoink out all the used hops ( plug or whole only) at the end of the boil.

I am in the process of building one at the moment, I have stainless mesh which is a bit coarser than flyscreen. I plan to brew on the weekend so will pass on how it works.

Ausdb

Here is a pic, the mesh is about 4mm.

......take this thread to Cuba :ph34r:

hop_basket.JPG

I Made one for the pick up tube in my kettle (only not as neat) and it works very well, BUT I do only use whole hops or plugs and this seems to filter out the hot break very well.

Cheers
Andrew

not a bad idea at all vlad.i like it.but will still make a hop stopper just beacuse i like to experiment.

cheers
big d

Yes Big d
That hop stopper certainly looks like a toy for the toy box :D

It does't look like it should be to hard to build. What sort of mesh is it and where do you think we can get some?

:beer:
BS

back to work on monday so can report back then if what i think i can get will be any good. ;)

The 'Hop Stopper' looks good BUT he wants US$60 plus shipping for it !
:blink:
Back to the drawing board for me.

anyone tried using a hot oil chip cooking basket ? ive seend various sizes & shapes. mesh might be a bit coarse ...

:)

I made my own version of the hop-stopper a couple of weeks ago and I haven't had an issue yet. I use both pellets and whole hops and my wort comes out crystal clear with zero stoppage.

I used regular SS flyscreen, a copper pickup tube and a plated ball valve. Cost me about AU$8.

I'm making a bigger one this week for my other kettle and I'm debating on changing its shape. I made the first one as an octagon, but I think I just might make a big triangle for the next one for convenience sake.

Ziggy-san said:
I made my own version of the hop-stopper a couple of weeks ago and I haven't had an issue yet. I use both pellets and whole hops and my wort comes out crystal clear with zero stoppage.

I used regular SS flyscreen, a copper pickup tube and a plated ball valve. Cost me about AU$8.

I'm making a bigger one this week for my other kettle and I'm debating on changing its shape. I made the first one as an octagon, but I think I just might make a big triangle for the next one for convenience sake.
[post="72258"][/post]​

G'day Ziggy,

Any pics?

Where do u pick up the materials from?

Cheers,
Jase

Hey Vlad.

That's a neat idea. I've got a spare bit of termi-mesh lying around. Think I might get stuck into it.

If it doesn't work I can always fry some fish and chips in it. :lol:

Thanks for the idea. :beerbang:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Hey Vlad.

I've got a spare bit of termi-mesh lying around. Think I might get stuck into it.

If it doesn't work I can always fry some fish and chips in it. :lol:

Warren -
[post="72267"][/post]​

Warren,

You are thinking along the same lines as myself. I have a few pieces of fine Termimesh lying round & was going to give it a go in the near future ( as a 220mm dia disc). I will hold off & save my Terimesh until you report back. :p I was planning on using food-grade solder. What will you use?? :blink:

Pete,

I was thinking more along the lines of Vlad's basket in the immersion chiller configuration.

Haven't gone into specifics yet. Don't have any soldering gear just at the moment. Hoping to put one together via some means. :unsure:

It's on the to-do list.

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Pete,

I was thinking more along the lines of Vlad's basket in the immersion chiller configuration.

Haven't gone into specifics yet. Don't have any soldering gear just at the moment. Hoping to put one together via some means. :unsure:

It's on the to-do list.

Warren -
[post="72320"][/post]​

Warren,

That seems a better way to do it as it would be just as easy to solder up & have more internal space which would probably allow for a quicker run-off. :beerbang: Maybe 220mm dia X 50mm or so high?
220mm dia will fit neatly inside my IC. I will have to wait a week or two to have a go at it as I have a lot on my plate at the moment. :(

Edit dia size.

Jase -

Well, I could give you the address of my hardware store, but as I live in Mexico, I doubt it'll do y'all much good.

Just get some standard metal flyscreen (the kind you put on windows or doors), cut it into two identical octagons with a rectangular bit coming off one end (to make a tube around the pickup tube) and sew them together with wire. Just make sure that the pickup tube is angled down into the bottom of the kettle and that you've folded the edges of the screen into the center of the filter -- you'll get some nasty cuts otherwise.

I'll see about making some instructions with pictures later on.

Back