The History Of Crown Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's pretty funny that they just invented that story. The queen should sue them for defamation "I did not and would never condone consumption of urine by humans"

"Never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn"

sEIJUfNvMUIon2H1byEa5cnR5bP.jpg

I remember three or four years ago at a West Coast brewers meeting, we had a blind tasting of half a dozen commercial Aussie beers including Crown and only one bloke picked it. Random sampling should have scored better.

We all know that gold printing of labels is more expensive, hence the premium price.
And if it's a premium price, it has to be a premium beer.

Can't understand why so many of you forum members run down this excellent product from one of our most trustworthy breweries.....oops, i just saw a pink elelphant fly by....

I got this response from CUB.

Me: Has the queen ever been to CUB ? Your Video is of her trip to Carlsberg in 1957. http://www.britishpathe.com/video/stills/queen-in-denmark

CUB: Hi Tristan,

Thank you for contacting us at CUB.

We have no record that the Queen has visited CUB on her trips to Australia. Carlsberg was a product of CUB but has now been taken over to be brewed under license by Coopers.

A tradition when Crown Ambassador is released each year is the first bottle is always produced and given to the Queen as a gift from CUB.

Please contact us if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Kind Regards,
CUB - Consumer Relations

---The Website definitely gives the impression that the Queen wandered along the bottling lines of CUB.
I have gone back to them with this.
Let you know if the response is any good.

I'm sure they're busy double-checking their copy is sound enough to stand a bit of a twitter-bash.
The response you received is very weak, you didn't ask who brewed Carlsberg under licence in Australia and it doesn't seem relevant in the least.

You didn't mention Crown 'Ambassador' either did you? That 'tradition' dates back to?? 2010? Phenomenal!
Hope she got a good Bretty bottle
http://www.microbrewing.com.au/news/articles/2023.html

At the absolute least you are wasting some PR people's time and I raise a glass to that :icon_cheers:

Me: Has the queen ever been to CUB ? Your Video is of her trip to Carlsberg in 1957. http://www.britishpathe.com/video/stills/queen-in-denmark

We have no record that the Queen has visited CUB on her trips to Australia. Carlsberg was a product of CUB but has now been taken over to be brewed under license by Coopers.

A tradition when Crown Ambassador is released each year is the first bottle is always produced and given to the Queen as a gift from CUB.

Kind Regards,
CUB - Consumer Relations

Me: On the "thecrowncompany.com" website it has a video next to a paragraph of
text about the Queens "inaugural Visit to Australia".
This Videos Audio states "on her tour of the brewery the Queen must have
been Fascinated by the High degree of automation..."
Seems like you are saying that she has been to the brewery.

Sorry my mistake i thought you were talking about Carlsberg.

Yes that is correct that Queen Elizabeth II visited the brewery during her Australia visit.

First brewed in 1919, Crown Lager was originally reserved for visiting and travelling ambassadors and dignitaries, until Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II made her first visit to Australia as Queen in 1954, when it was released to the public.

In tribute to this history, each year, the number one (0001) bottle of Crown Ambassador Reserve is delivered to Her Majesty on 2 June to celebrate the anniversary of her coronation

Kind Regards,
CUB - Consumer Relations

-- So in the first Email he says "We have no record that the Queen has visited CUB on her trips to Australia."
Then in the next mail... "Yes that is correct that Queen Elizabeth II visited the brewery during her Australia visit."

Sounds like you are getting the usual copy/paste robot response. Go big! Tweet it up!
They can't even get their lies straight!

I posted the link to the Gruen transfer facebook page. They probably won't mention it but you never know.

We have no record that the Queen has visited CUB on her trips to Australia

Sorry my mistake i thought you were talking about Carlsberg.

Yes that is correct that Queen Elizabeth II visited the brewery during her Australia visit

Hi all, thanks for the discussion of this on AHB. I thought you might like to know that CUB are looking at revising the history: http://www.brewsnews.com.au/2012/07/crown-...evised-perhaps/

Also, thanks to Qwertyfly for posting his correspondence with CUB on this site (and for putting it to them in the first place). After reading about it here I was able to pass it on to CUB, which seems to have prompted their ultimate reply. Nice job AHB!

Matt Kirkegaard
Australian Brews News

Nice one Matt! Great work on keeping the marketing team honest! It's a great read...

Good stuff. Love the smarmy responses from the marketing guy "great", "incredible", "enlightening" etc.
Fair play for responding at all but, well, I found it "great, incredible, enlightening etc." :)

My experience, as someone professionally involved in archival issues, has been that marketing people will quite happily 'amend' factual history to suit their needs, even when directly confronted with evidence to the contrary. This has even extended to the dates Institutions were created to better allow convenient historical anniversaries. Sometimes to the extent that the 'marketing history' becomes the actual history, as is seen here.

That video of the Queen clearly standing in front of a Carlsberg logo... ! Well done, you should fwd your exchanges to Carlsberg marketing people?

I'm picturing the Crown people busy burning 'inconvenient' records on the BBQ as we speak!

Latest posts

Back