The Hard Choise

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gambrinus

Reaction score
I don't know what to choise from two crushers.

Pic8.jpg
--

"2A" for 99$
OR

CGM-2D2.jpg
--
"2D" for 129$

What do You think about this? What are advantages every from them?

only advantage i can see is that the 2d is teeth driven whereas the 2a relies on the grain to drive the other roller.no problems with slippage with the 2d.

cheers
big d

big d said:
only advantage i can see is that the 2d is teeth driven whereas the 2a relies on the grain to drive the other roller.no problems with slippage with the 2d.

cheers
big d
[post="88440"][/post]​

My 2A has the teeth, but they dont actualy mesh, the outside edge of the teeth is the same diameter as the knurling. Still relys on the grain to drive the passive roller

The teeth on the 2D don't contact, cranking mill with no grain only turns one of the rollers, so in that respect they are the same. The 2D roller spacing is easily adjustable via a knob on the side of the mill which has preset setting that click into place, ensuring both sides are even. I own a 2D, I believe that the 2A is also adjustable but requires loosening a screw and it doesn't have the preset space setting.

If you have the money go for the 2D. If you don't get the 2A. You will still get great crush from the 2A. One consideration if you go for the 2D is what you use to drive it. One Adelaide brewer has a similar mill to the 2D. The drill that once drove his barley crusher can not turn the geared malt mill if the hopper is full of grain.

the teeth dont mesh :eek: all show and no go hey.
wonder what they are there for then.

cheers
big d

big d said:
the teeth dont mesh :eek: all show and no go hey.
wonder what they are there for then.

cheers
big d
[post="88451"][/post]​
Often wondered that myself, would seem more logical not to have the teeth at all.

I read on a us forum, that crank buys in the rollers & this model have teeth on one end.

Aaron said:
If you have the money go for the 2D. If you don't get the 2A. You will still get great crush from the 2A. One consideration if you go for the 2D is what you use to drive it. One Adelaide brewer has a similar mill to the 2D. The drill that once drove his barley crusher can not turn the geared malt mill if the hopper is full of grain.
[post="88445"][/post]​

The mill that I now have is the geared Maltmill. I got the "barebones" version as luggage space was at a premium coming back from overseas. I made a flat hopper.

The rollers on this mill are 10 inches long and 1 1/2 inches diameter

As Aaron said when I had the Barley crusher my electric drill would start with a full hopper of grain. Now the rollers have to be turning because both rollers are driven with the gears.

http://schmidling.com/maltmill.htm

It is more for a rig connected to a 1/4 horse electric motor which I will do oneday. The throughput is very good.

My vote is for the mill I have but in reality the best all round mill for out of the box is without a doubt the Barley Crusher.

chiller said:
in reality the best all round mill for out of the box is without a doubt the Barley Crusher.
[post="88467"][/post]​

Unless you can get your hands on a vintage Corona :p :blink:

Hand crankers of the world unite, you have nothing to lose but your hands :excl:

wee stu said:
Hand crankers of the world unite, you have nothing to lose but your hands :excl:
[post="88480"][/post]​

Only your dignity ;)

big d said:

cheers
big d
[post="88440"][/post]​

gear driven is good so long as you don't hit any rocks. Found a lump of metal in a bag of malt once.

My suggestion would to go for the triple roller mill. Haing used a two roller for many years I can see the advantage of the three roller.
More husk, less flour. No need to crush twice!
cheers
Darren

Aaron said:
wee stu said:
[post="88480"][/post]​

Only your dignity ;)
[post="88489"][/post]​

No fears there mate, that was gone a long, long time ago :D

Newsflash, from Zymurgy Sep/Oct 2005 edition, Dear Professor column.

"I personally use a Corona mill for my homebrewing and consistently get an 85% extract yield from most grains. When I use a roller type adjustable mill my yield will drop to 75 or sometimes 70% ...... so I continually go back to my Corona mill and am very pleased with the clean taste of my results."

If it is good enough for dear old Charlie P ..............

Arm wrestle, anyone :p

i'm hankering for a barleycrusher but who does a 3roller?
I'm at a point where I have a handcranked corona and could really splurge on an upgrade. I crushed 7.2kg yesterday and could really go a motorised mill.
My corona is still missing the odd grain here and there.

That looks fully sik re Fitzy. What rate does it crush?

I'm happy with my Barley Crusher, I just need to refine the best gap widths for particular grains. It's set at 0.9mm at present.

Latest posts

Back