The "gulf Brewery"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gulf Brewery

Microbrewed beer at it's best
Reaction score
Hi all

Finally after 2 years of thinking about this and 4 months of serious work, that the "Gulf Brewery" is becoming a reality.

The location of the brewery hasn't been determined yet, I am still looking for a place with enough power in the southern or western suburbs of Adelaide.

I have purchased a 1200 litre system and we can produce 2400 litres a week. The system came from a hotel in Lower Hutt, north of Wellington, NZ and is currently in storage in Adelaide. I was working on the marketing side of the business when the brewery came up and it was too good to knock back.

As always, suggestions of beer styles are welcome. I am thinking of producing 3 mains beers and a seasonal beer. The beer will initially be sold on tap at pubs with bottling planned for a later stage when things have settled down.

Once I have premises, I hope to have trial batches done within 2 months and commercial production soon after (depending on approvals and licensing)

The website is not up yet, but when it is, you will be able to subscribe to a mailing list and get up to date announcements of the progress.

Peter
The brewer formerly known as Pedro

GulfBrewery said:
Hi all

Finally after 2 years of thinking about this and 4 months of serious work, that the "Gulf Brewery" is becoming a reality.

The location of the brewery hasn't been determined yet, I am still looking for a place with enough power in the southern or western suburbs of Adelaide.

I have purchased a 1200 litre system and we can produce 2400 litres a week. The system came from a hotel in Lower Hutt, north of Wellington, NZ and is currently in storage in Adelaide. I was working on the marketing side of the business when the brewery came up and it was too good to knock back.

As always, suggestions of beer styles are welcome. I am thinking of producing 3 mains beers and a seasonal beer. The beer will initially be sold on tap at pubs with bottling planned for a later stage when things have settled down.

Once I have premises, I hope to have trial batches done within 2 months and commercial production soon after (depending on approvals and licensing)

The website is not up yet, but when it is, you will be able to subscribe to a mailing list and get up to date announcements of the progress.

Peter
[post="53833"][/post]​

Good job.
What do we call you now, Pedro or Gulfbrew. :blink: :D :blink:

Normell

Great to know the brewery survived the trip across the ditch intact.
Hope you find a suitable home for it soon.

All the best,
Doc

WHOOHOO!!!!!

Does this mean I get to keep all your old Zymurgies???
After all that's the magazine of the American homebrewers association :p

normell said:
What do we call you now, Pedro or Gulfbrew.

Normell
[post="53836"][/post]​

How about Pedro the broke? :(

wee stu said:
Does this mean I get to keep all your old Zymurgies???
After all that's the magazine of the American homebrewers association :p
[post="53853"][/post]​

I have a home office and I still brew at home, so I will have them back thank you, you vertically challenged scotsman

Pedro

Good on ya Peter/Pedro. Hope it goes well.

I'd suggest a Wheat Beer - not very common on tap.

I also tried a nice German Ale on tap down the Hunter Valley - was extremely drinkable! (Actually wasn't called an Ale but that's what it was).

Are you intending to run it as a "normal" pub catering to all drinkers? If so I'd suggest also having some of the common (Tooheys/VB) type beers on tap to cater for all tastes (or lack of in this case).

tony

way to go pedro.best of luck.

mmmmm beers to make
porter for adelaide winters and in between
pilsner
pale ale.

cheers
big d

Great work Peter.

Don't forget when you find your location and need to do the clean up / prep work, that your AHB buddies will be a good source of free labour :)

SA is really starting to get some micro's happening at the mo' great stuff.

Congratulations Peter, I wish you every success with your venture

Jovial Monk

Hi Peter,

Cheers and good luck with your new venture.
Looks like I'll have yet another venue to "visit" when I am in Adelaide.

Yeah, will be able to do a pubcrawl of Microbrewies, Pedro's Gulf brewery, Grumpy's Brewhaus.

:party: :party: :blink:

Normell

GulfBrewery said:

Peter
[post="53833"][/post]​
Pilsener - I hear you are good at those :)
Kolsch - once people in Australia know what it is they will love it!
Pale ale - every brewery should have one (Aussie, Indian, American, American Indian, ANZUS - you choose the sub species :p )

Seasonals - maybe the porter as per big d dark side of the year, crisp wheat for daylight saving time, and the ladies (or maybe the kolsch for summer?)

Well done Pedro, I wish you all the best!

Just be prepared for some red-tape frustrations though... If the council you wish to set up in sends your Development Application off to the DAC, be prepared for about a 5-month wait for a reply.
Producers licence will be easier, only 7 to 10 weeks.

Once again, all the best.

Cheers!

Andrew said:
Just be prepared for some red-tape frustrations though
[post="53883"][/post]​

The red tape is fun - Producers license is on the go and the application doesn't have to go to DAC. When I get past that, then I can get onto the ATO and federal government stuff. It is really interesting in that I have been in contact with the 3 councils about establishing a microbrewery in their areas and I have got 3 completely different responses about what needs to happen.

If anyone is considering opening a microbrewery, make sure you have a large dose of patience pills before you start filling in applications. Oh, and then you want to import some gear <_< and it just gets harder.

Pedro

Very well done Peter. Once established, perhaps a brew day on site? I think we could easily share around a 1200 litre batch.

As for suggestions, i think Adelaide has a love affair with pale ales in general, so perhaps that could be an ongoing thing. Little Creatures seemed to get very popular very quickly once available on tap at various adelaide venues. Otherwise seasonal darks and lagers to provide for winters and summers.

wel done again.

AnthonyMac

well done Pedro

All the best - hope it all goes good and "May your RED Tape not entangle You"

Cant wait until it is open....
Will the Gulf be brewing the german Rheinstat (probably spelt it wrong) way....

Might i suggest a Low Alcohol stout/porter and maybe wheat - some councils/regs ask for a low alcohol beer to be brewed - and this will be different from all the others.

Just an idea.

u could also talk to chiller and let the Mash Paddle Brewer brew their winning recipe at the brewery....

you get to keep and use teh reipe afterwards if u see fit.

I wonder if u could auction "be a brewer for a day at the GULF" on ebay.

How cool would that be - brew 1200 litrs and then invite your mates back when it is ready for drinking..... :super: :beer: :chug:

I guess that was the Parrot and Jigger gear from Melling, or somewhere else in Lower Hutt????

Guest Lurker said:
I guess that was the Parrot and Jigger gear from Melling, or somewhere else in Lower Hutt????
[post="53901"][/post]​
Yes it seems so GL, as from http://www.realbeer.co.nz/:

Parrot & Jigger UPDATE
Parrot and Jigger brewery has been removed. It is being shipped to Adelaide, South Australia. It will be opening as the Gulf Brewery (wholesale only) in few months after get through all of the licenses and permits.

BTW, Top stuff Pedro. Will look forward to tasting your famous pils on tap.

I agree,
Hope the pils is one to go on tap (even if its a seasonal)
best of luck Peter
cheers,Darren

Back