The Greatest Beer Of All Time!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Manticle, did you mention Melbourne Bitter? Now your'e talking :icon_cheers:

Anyways, to get back on topic...

I only just thought about this, but right up there with my previous suggestion of Rochefort 8, I'd almost have to add the Innis & Gunn Original... man what a beer! If I brewed a clone that even held a candle to this I'd be a haoppy dude let me tell you...

Hey, now there's something I haven't come across in a while. I generally don't feel obliged to contribute to these best/worst threads but that beer would have to be up near the top.

Green King Abbot Ale as it was in the 70s when I discovered cask conditioned beers. In the 35 odd years since I 1st drank it I`ve bought and brewed hundreds of beers but nothing compares with that taste, perfection. A pale shadow of its self now, or is it my ageing taste buds.

Summer beer : Hoegaarden.
End of the night beer : Duvel.
Cold winters night : Guinness.
One to enjoy whilst trying to introduce girls into good beer : Timmermans Fruits of the forrest.

Really depends what mood im in, Love the cidar too..

Cheers Vice

I have relatively simple tastes, and shallow pockets so............
At home: LCBA or LCPA, or something micro like Redoak Pale (love the fruity esters on this puppy)
At Pub: Coopers Pale

(At Adelaide test match cricket on weekend: Whatever commercial CUB/Lion Nathan beer is on tap and cold, and I will enjoy it!!)

I agree. Beer snobbery is as annoying as the close minded approach of "beer is pale lager brewed by CUB and eveything else is toff tosser rubbish".

Beer is good because it covers everything from working man's refresher to snob's pretension. It's good because it's gutsy, because it's been brewed by monks, farmers and peasants for thousands of years and yet it beats every other beverage for diversity and complexity.

What was that Aussie comedy TV show...Skithouse??? The one where the bloke was transformed into a moccasin, flanno wearing superhero with a mullet because of a homebrew mishap/explosion. I recall he told the underage guys who asked him to buy a carton from the bottlo "save the Heineken for the shirt-lifters, you can get two cartons of VB for the price"

Product Description:

This dark English "strong ale" boasts a full and flavourful malt bouquet, a chocolate toffee malt flavour, and a moderately bitter and fruity hop finish. It is a fine English Brown Ale available both in the bottle and in the can (usually).

11B. Southern English Brown
Aroma: Malty-sweet, often with a rich, caramel or toffee-like character. Moderately fruity, often with notes of dark fruits such as plums and/or raisins. Very low to no hop aroma. No diacetyl.

Appearance: Light to dark brown, and can be almost black. Nearly opaque, although should be relatively clear if visible. Low to moderate off-white to tan head.

Flavor: Deep, caramel-like malty sweetness on the palate and lasting into the finish. May have a moderate dark fruit complexity. Low hop bitterness. Hop flavor is low to non-existent. Little or no perceivable roasty or bitter black malt flavor. Moderately sweet finish with a smooth, malty aftertaste. Low to no diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, but residual sweetness may give a heavier impression. Low to moderately low carbonation.

Overall Impression: A luscious, malt-oriented brown ale, with a caramel, dark fruit complexity of malt flavor. May seem somewhat like a smaller version of a sweet stout or a sweet version of a dark mild.

History: English brown ales are generally split into sub-styles along geographic lines. Southern English (or "London-style") brown ales are darker, sweeter, and lower gravity than their Northern cousins.

Comments: Increasingly rare. Some consider it a bottled version of dark mild.

Ingredients: English pale ale malt as a base with a healthy proportion of darker caramel malts and often some roasted malts. Moderate to high carbonate water would appropriately balance the dark malt acidity. English hop varieties are most authentic, though with low flavor and bitterness almost any type could be used.

Yes I am bored away from home think I may walk down to the bottlo.

Hobgoblin is a special bitter. It's not brown at all, its a dark amber/red colour.
It's described as a premium bitter (which is the same as special bitter) on wikipedia, and as a premium bitter/esb on ratebeer.

The beer is ok but the marketing sucks. Mythical charachters and D&D type stuff isn't broadly appealing. The lagerboy campaign is one of the worst pieces of marketing in history. Alienate the majority of the drinking public to suit your small 2% demographic.

Seeing that around about 8 styles have been attached to Hobgoblin in this thread, I'll finalise the debate by saying that it's CLEARLY an Irish Red ale.

I found the best beer last night

Schneider Weisse-style by Les the Weizguy done in my BIAB...

QldKev

I only just thought about this, but right up there with my previous suggestion of Rochefort 8, I'd almost have to add the Innis & Gunn Original... man what a beer! If I brewed a clone that even held a candle to this I'd be a haoppy dude let me tell you...
Oooo Innis & Gunn! :icon_drool2:
Love their beers. Managed to snag one aged in rum barrels whilst over in UK. Damn tasty.

Haysie, you probably don't recall doing so whilst pissed but on several occasions you have already PM'd me with a simple message:

"Cockhead"

I haven't reported this to the mods because I really do feel for you. And as for weirdo, mate I'm from Yorkshire and we have a saying "All the World seems queer save thee and me and sometimes even thee's a little queer" :lol:
:lol:

It says on haysie's profile he is 76y.o.! Surely not? Don't remember my grandad saying cockhead :huh:

This is the best beer i have ever had, It was a 25 year old bottle of Westvleteren 12. Back then it was Brewed & Bottled at "St Bernardus" not "St Sixtus" where it is brewed now.

1.jpg

I found the best beer last night

Schneider Weisse-style by Les the Weizguy done in my BIAB...

QldKev
Hope so. I'm brewing one of these at the moment. Smells great, but damn yeast is firey. Set to 19C and it just wants to jump out through the airlock.

I'm going to throw Fixation IPA into the mix - to me this beer is delicious

Back