The Great Chilli Seed Swap of 2013

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QldKev

Brew Dude
Reaction score
The Great Chilli Seed Swap of 2013

As per this thread, there seems to be a lot of interest in chilli plants between brewers. Lets have a chilli seed swap. You put up for grabs a certain amount of seed packs, and hopefully in return you get an equal amount of other seed packs.

I've got a Rainbow Chilli plant. The idea is to scrape some seeds out and let them dry, then drop them into a folded piece of paper and then into an envelope to send to who wants them. (unless a greenthunb let's us know a better way) Please put your ahb username and seed variety on the pack. It should only cost about $1 per pack to send including the envelope.

So to join in, add your name to the list with positions for how many seed packs and what variety you are happy to send. Please try and keep it in 1 post, same as the Christmas lotto threads etc. Then you may put a wish list of some varieties you are after. Either the sender or receiver may add their name next to a seed allocation.

So a list may look like

QldKev
Looking for - Habenero, Jalapeno and another variety that is cool enough to chop up and add to a served dish
Rainbow Chilli
1. CoolDudeUser

RandomUserName
Looking For - anything
Jalapeno
1. QldKev

SomeFunnyChilli

Next user
etc

Feel free to post a pic and description of the chilli you have on offer, but please keep it in a separate post from the main list.

Quarantine restrictions may apply for some states. Please keep Australian postal addresses only.

Hopefully we should have enough to close the list Wed 27 Feb at 12 lunch time Queensland time.

QldKev

QldKev
Looking for - Habenero, Jalapeno and another variety that is cool enough to chop up and add to a served dish
Rainbow Chilli

Stux
Looking for classic varieties, Cayenne, Serrano, Scotch Bonnet

Have: Poblano, Habanero, Jalopeno & Pequin (tiny but hot). Roccoto too, but not sure on seeds

Edit: Seeds won't be available for a little while as I'm in a cooler climate, and things run behind here

are they the numex kev? there a pretty plant

also looking for some habs or jalapeno, would not mind a peter pepper for a laugh

Viper Naga Jolika - hot as hell, sister to the ghost chilli

Looking for some chilli varities with flavour in the heat range of habernero or a bit less. I have Naga Dorset growing atm and can send seeds of those. They are too hot for me to use regularly.

Naga Dorset seed packs;

Packs that would suit punkin;

I'm sure i've got it fucked up Kev. Should i be hoping that the person who want's my seeds will send me some that i want, or am i just sending seeds off in the hope that someone else will send me some? Or should i be putting my name in someone elses post hoping that the seeds they have will suit my tastes?

I'm a dumb ******* is all and have trouble following simple statements as some here will attest (without mentioning names in case i summon the prick/s)

Also, why the rush to shut the swap down? You could leave it go for 6 months if you wanted, or even have a permanent trade list.

There was a good one on a mycology forum i was part of that had a snap style swap.

It relied on someone putting up seeds (spores in this case) of a particular variety. Next person if that was what they were after would say 'snap' or words to that effect and put up a different variety. And so on and so on. Deals were sorted via pm and the thread went for a million pages or something.

punkin said:
Also, why the rush to shut the swap down? You could leave it go for 6 months if you wanted, or even have a permanent trade list.

There was a good one on a mycology forum i was part of that had a snap style swap.

It relied on someone putting up seeds (spores in this case) of a particular variety. Next person if that was what they were after would say 'snap' or words to that effect and put up a different variety. And so on and so on. Deals were sorted via pm and the thread went for a million pages or something.
That sounds like an excellent plan.

The only chilli I have that survived the wet weather is a plain old thai thing that I have had for years. Nice flavour. not terribly hot though. If anyone wants some seeds I'm happy to send them out.

Cheers
Dave

I have no seeds to offer, but would like to know if anyone would like to sell a few different types.
I'm after some low, medium and high heat if possible
Great idea swapping seeds Kev, hopefully next year i'll have some to offer
Cheers

I'll post up what I have when I get a chance without a 2 year old wanting to touch all the bags of seeds. Yes, the bags are oozing hotness from just previous touching and sorting on the outsides. Mainly super hots like 7 pot and bhuts etc.

Cube said:
I'll post up what I have when I get a chance without a 2 year old wanting to touch all the bags of seeds. Yes, the bags are oozing hotness from just previous touching and sorting on the outsides. Mainly super hots like 7 pot and bhuts etc.
I'll be in for some of those... I lost my 7 pots to damp feet last year before they produced any fruit. Love to try again if you have some seeds to spare.

Cheers
Dave

DarkFaerytale said:

also looking for some habs or jalapeno, would not mind a peter pepper for a laugh

Just went and read the label. Doesn't have the term numex on it. It does say Capsicum frutescens and from that list they look like the tabasco pepper

Once they are red they are very hot.

QldKev

Not sure what happened in the thread,

What if we all just put up what you have on offer, and if you want some seeds just pm the person;
and possibly do a swap with that person, or if they are happy to just send you some without a swap.

Hopefully it all should work out even, and no deadline for posting what you have on offer needed.

DarkFaerytale said:

1.goldenchild- jalapeno if you want to trade?

I have hundreds of Jalapeno seeds and small amount of birds eye seeds on hand.

In the next month or so i should also have-
a small amount of Habs
pile of Cayennes
some sort of tiny (2cm) Thai's
apparently hot banana chillis which are actually really mild.

Happy to trade for anything interesting i dont already have.

goldenchild said:
I have hundreds of Jalapeno seeds and small amount of birds eye seeds on hand.

In the next month or so i should also have-
a small amount of Habs
pile of Cayennes
some sort of tiny (2cm) Thai's
apparently hot banana chillis which are actually really mild.

Happy to trade for anything interesting i dont already have.
I'm interested in Cayennes. In a couple of weeks/months should have Rocoto and Poblano

(Poblanos are used to make Anchos in mexican cuisine)

Jalopeno, first to go red...
IMG_4181.jpg

Zimbabwe Pequin (like a mini birdseye)
IMG_4182.jpg

Just some of the Poblanos. Really looking forward to these, bout the size of a hand
IMG_4183.jpg

Habs just started fruiting...
IMG_4184.jpg

Rocoto apparently just started flowering... will get some pics later. Lovely purple flowers

I have Cayenne and Jalapeno, there are seeds now and they all just started a second round of flowering so should have even more in the not to distant future.

Keen for anything crazy hot

I'm after something like jalapeno or something for stuffing etc. Something I haven't got! My favs are the Devils Tongue. Hot and flavour is fantastic.

I have:

Orange habs (long variety or a cross, not sure but nice and hot )

orange habs

Bishops hat

Long red (supermarket type)

Rainbow

Thai

Ornimental Bolivian rainbow

Hot lemon ( got 4 seeds in total so one for grabs lol)

Tabasco (same as above)

Devils Tongue

Goats weed

7 pot yellow (4 seeds available) open pol

7 pot

Bhuts

7 pot brown - douglah 5 seeds available

BARRACKPORE SCARY 7 pot 5 seeds available, open pol

Naga Morich (open pol)

Trinidad Scorpion open pol, 3 seeds avail

If listed a X amount of seeds available that means I have 4 myself left after the swap in total of that strain.

The super hots are HARD to germinate so if you want them, be prepared to set up a hot box or something for them to give them a chance.

Im in I will have a look later to see what seads I have to send

I like the idea of sending a stamped envelope to get seeds, then if someone wants some of the ones I have, just send a stamped envelope and I can share what has been given to me

Remember this thread has evolved into an open swap. Just post what you have on offer and what you would like. If you see someone with seeds that you want, pm them and arrange what ever swap conditions you are happy with, self addressed envelopes, swap for other seeds, sexual favors, etc. Feel free to put thank you's back in this thread to keep it moving.

I'm happy to send seeds to someone who has nothing to swap back, but wants to start growing chilli plants. A DL (110 x 220) self stamped envelope is only 0.70c. If I end up sending 5 seed packs out it will cost me just $3.50, or a pack of 10 is just $6.83. Hopefully out of it, from either some of those recipients or other people I end up with a couple of packs back, and a few fellow brewers get growing some yummy chilli plants.

Back