The Great British Brewer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wide eyed and legless

Reaction score
I wonder if enough of us lobbied the BBC we could get a program started on brewing, with the popularity these days of reality TV, Great British Bake off, the British Boxing round robin they did, the sewing, the allotment gardeners, doesn't matter if the viewers are interested they will watch any reality TV show it would certainly give Homebrewing a shot in the arm.
They could follow it up with 'So you think you can drink'

Channel 31 might be the go mate. They've got a few cooking shows and shit. Then from there the bigger channels might see it and get interested. That's another avenue if you're keen to pursue it.

Have a look at forged in fire as an example of how the show should run.
3 expert judges and 3 brewers.
The brewers go head to head brewing with ingredients provided by the judges.
Contestants have time set aside for recipe design and brewing.
The judges kick off one brewer at the end of the brew day leaving 2 brewers to go home and make a beer to the judges style.

I don't think a brewing show would have a problem getting aired, One man and his dog was one of the most watched shows in the UK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikYEftuuA3c

They only need a bit of a gee up, it could all be condensed down, start off with 12 brewers show what they do, different styles each show, if people can sit and watch gogglebox they will watch anything. Even to a non brewer surely it would be interesting.

This idea has legs for sure. So many segments to cut away to, a how to, a history segment, interviews.
Easy to take a magazine format and follow on.

As long as that boozy duo of Oz Clarke and James May are involved, I'd be all over it.

I vaguely remember a program with Shane Jacobson (I think it was) that went around and checked out some home brewers. Can't remember what it was called, a mancave sort of show i think. I didn't really like it but watched an episode because a mate was on it. He's travelled over the world refining his brewing craft. I might (if i can be bothered...) do a google search for it or send my mate a message and ask him.

knot_gillty said:
I vaguely remember a program with Shane Jacobson (I think it was) that went around and checked out some home brewers. Can't remember what it was called, a mancave sort of show i think. I didn't really like it but watched an episode because a mate was on it. He's travelled over the world refining his brewing craft. I might (if i can be bothered...) do a google search for it or send my mate a message and ask him.
Maybe the Oz version of the Clarkson car show, whatever that was called?

Latest posts

Back