The Future Of Australian Craft Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where's Jim?

Reaction score
http://www.brewsnews.com.au/2012/01/the-fu...ian-craft-beer/

Interesting short article from Brews News and the current 'overrated' brewery bashing that is going on over on Beer Advocate in the US.
The negative comments against certain American craft breweries was disappointing enough for Sam Calagione (Dogfish Head) to post some thoughts.

It made me think of last years Hottest 100 Beers results that sparked some negative comments towards McLaren Vale's win, and the disdain felt that Matilda Bay, James Squire, Coopers and even LC were allowed to place, let alone place so highly.

Surely any form of craft beer, even non-independent, gateway beers like some of the Matilda Bay (CUB/SABMiller) and James Squire (Lion Nathan) range are positive for this industry regardless of ownership? Isn't this a battle towards good beer and not a battle against the big two?

/rant :drinks:

Let's all voice our opinions of other peoples' opinions on beer while pointing out that they shouldn't be entitled to voice such opinions.

Ridiculous.

Let's all voice our opinions of other peoples' opinions on beer while pointing out that they shouldn't be entitled to voice such opinions.

Ridiculous.

^ Good observation... haha.

I was merely trying to get the point across that these things should be viewed as a positive and not a negative. Unless it's constructive criticism; these things get us nowhere.

I was talking as much about the article as you own post. Here's what it seems to boil down to from where I'm sitting: it is said that these opinions will hurt the market but you all seem to be forgetting that it is the market who is saying these things. The industry can listen or it can do what it has always done.

Constantly.

In the parts with the words.

it doesnt have to happen for bum to believe it happened...

Or OP to acknowledge my point as fair.

You guys are pretty stupid.

OPs link? Yes I did. There is an blatant theme that those negative opinions will have a negative impact on the industry and that those opinions are unreasonable.

Hence my comment.

@Nick_JD - Great quote, and I just referred to it in a podcast, thanks for that!

@bum - Given my mantra that beer is a conversation, I'm pretty sure I didn't even think the words "you shouldn't be entitled to voice your opinions" let along express them in or between the lines. The point I was making is that we have a tendency of loving something until it becomes popular, then its very popularity becomes the thing we dislike about it. I think Crafty Pint summed it up best, "The geeks will inherit the earth then spend their time complaining about it."

If craft beer is going to grow beyond the slim margins that it now occupies, then what are now small breweries are going to become big and popular - and disliked by many for that fact.

OPs link? Yes I did. There is an blatant theme that those negative opinions will have a negative impact on the industry and that those opinions are unreasonable.

Hence my comment.

That is vague horseshit, and even your vague horseshit response is in no way related to your comment "pointing out that they shouldn't be entitled to voice such opinions."

we have a tendency of loving something until it becomes popular, then its very popularity becomes the thing we dislike about it.

Some people definitely are like that, however some beers that used to be craft beers definitely stopped being craft beers when they totally reduced their quality in order to save money or increase volume.

If a craft brewery can increase volume and profit and eat into the profits of the mega brewers without actually making their product shit then I believe most people that are into craft brew will be the first to cheer them on.

If craft beer is going to grow beyond the slim margins that it now occupies, then what are now small breweries are going to become big and popular - and disliked by many for that fact.
I dunno, I find this something of a complete misnomer. Look around this board a bit and you'll see that the most oft-copied beers are the ones that are made by the little parts of the mega-breweries. Sure, people still talk their shit but they also still enjoy and buy the beers - that's what makes them bigger.

That is vague horseshit, and even your vague horseshit response is in no way related to your comment "pointing out that they shouldn't be entitled to voice such opinions."
No, it is entirely related. Again, you can see this by reading (and, hopefully, thinking about) the words.

Latest posts

Back