The Electric Brewery Build Begins..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doubleplugga

Reaction score
Hi all. Just thought I would start a thread on my new HERMS rig I have started. It is going to be an exact copy
of the brew rig from this website http://theelectricbrewery.com/
Starting off with the control panel first as this is going to be the longest and hardest part of the build. I have posted some pics below and will keep updating the thread as I progress if anyone is interested. My current 3v system is ok but I just wanted something better!
Pics below are of the control panel box, holes cut etc. just need to tidy up the burrs and get it ready for painting. the large rectangle in the top is not very neat but it will be covered with a large heat sink so I am not too concerned. The back plate has been removed so I can mark out the areas where the relays, shunts, transformers etc need to go.

control panel box 16"x16"x8"
DSCN0543.JPG

holes for switches,PID's lights marked out

DSCN0544.JPG

holes cut for temp probes, power in, march pumps and elements

DSCN0545.JPG

DSCN0546.JPG

DSCN0547.JPG

When you say exact copy, you mean it. I would always have something I would want to tweak :( Where did you get the enclosure from, and how much. I'm after one and it looks like the size I need

Looks good mate will be great to see it all come together. Its nice watching other people build cool stuff!

Wow the electric brewery is the ducks nuts. Good luck with it, the control box alone looks like it would cost a fortune. Looking forward to the build.

Cheers

Browdog

will be following this build with interest,the electric brewery is an interesting site and the brewing network podcast about it was as well.
gunna cost,but a hell of a system to build. ...cheers...spog.....

I just found The Electric Brewery website the other day and thought it looked interesting. I look forward to following your build. Keep us updated also on where you source the parts.

Thanks for the interest guys, I am pretty excited about the build. I bought the control panel as a DIY kit for 240volt countries from the electric brewery website, everything is included except the paint. I have also gotten the heating elements, temp probes and stainless HERMS coil from him also. I do know that alot of the items he used in his build can be bought from Amazon and the like. The other items I need, ball valves, quick disconnects etc I will source locally. I dont imagine the build will be done until maybe the end of 2013 as it is taking alot of time and effort but its enjoyable so far. I will keep all posted with updates as I progress.

I'll be interested in seeing how this turns out. I have their PDF as well, and it has some great ideas in it - but all that wiring scares the hell out of me!

Site and your build start looks awesome.I want one! What sort of money do you estimate for the total build? Can help u out with some ball valves, as I have a few spare.PM me.

mate for s/s parts in perth try stirlings s/s australia cnr of baile road and modal crescent canning vale

thanks Spoonta, will check them out for s/s parts when the time comes.

tanukibrewer, thanks for the offer on some ball valves, I am currently working away and will not be back in Perth for a while yet unfortunately. Will keep it in mind though. I estimate maybe 4500-5000 grand for the build, thats why it probably wont be done until towards the end of next year. I have got all the bigger expensive items now so its all the other bits and pieces now that will add up. But it all takes time and I am flat out at work at ther moment.

Vortex, yeah the wiring scared me a bit at first but the more I read it the more I understand it. Luckily my neighbour is a sparky and also there is another mate of mine in perth who built the exact same system and his is up and running now so any dramas I can just go see him! makes things easier

Cats75 no worries mate.
You said ya mate has built one.how is he finding it? Brew quality improving? Is his/her brewttime reduced?

Hi AHBer's. Just a quick update on the electric brewery build. As you can see I changed my user name from cats75 to Doubleplugga as this is what I have decided to call my home brewery. Unfortunately not any build progress pics to post as I am still working away from home and it looks like I wont be home until early March, AAARRGGHH!! But all major parts have now arrived at home and I had the wife forward me some pics of the heating elements, temp probes and stainless HERMS coil. A friend also knocked up a name plate for me at his workshop, I will stick this on the front of the control panel. Thats it for now guys, I cant wait to get home and get stuck in.

DSCN0600.JPG DSCN0659.JPG

DSCN0660.JPG DSCN0661.JPG

DSCN0662.JPG

Update time fellas. I am finally home after a long stint away with work and the brewery build has begun! Have decided to do the control panel first as it will be the item taking up most of my time. So in between house renovations I have managed to start the panel build. All components are now installed and it is ready for wiring,

DSC_0700.JPG DSC_0701.JPG

DSC_0702.JPG

Will keep the progress pics coming guys

Wow, that is beautiful and in between reno's too! very impressive.

Back