The Drink You Have When You're Not Having A Beer.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70

Le roi est mort..
Reaction score
I like vodka with most things, even plain with just ice. Might try it with some dry vermouth this weekend whilst peeling off snappy catchphrases and one liners.
When shopping at Dans, I go for 42 Below or Ketel One. Maby Finlandia if just mixing.
What do you like?

big fan of a nice Gin and Tonic. tanqueray, strong with plenty of ice and lemon or lime. damn refreshing, also single malts the odd bourbon and coke and cant go past a glass of ice cold water.

Really got into scotch lately. Current favorite I'm drinking is Laphroaig Quarter Cask. But I'm on the look out for a bottle of Ardbeg Supanova after having a glass at the Hilton Queenstown. The young guy that runs the bar there is a bit of a single malt buff. The Supanova is fricking amazing - so peaty yet well balanced without the smokey burn a lot of inferior peat smoked scotches have.

Drinking a bit of port lately goes well with a bit of really dark chocolate.

Some good agave tequila. Have some great triple distilled sugarcane rum. Vodka and lemons :)

Haven't had one of any Of these in months if not years!

Sometimes I drink water and tea if I got a cold.

vodka lime and soda but its gotta be strong! 50 50 vodka soda mix
glass of red Shiraz brokenwood graveyard is my fave!
or a nice glass of port or desert wine.
once I had a glass of water........ once! lol

Red wine
Single malt
Cogniac
White wine

In aproximatly that order

Of course if we are conmsidering the non alcoholic drinks as well -
Water
Orange juice
Lime cordial (the real stuff not the horrible green flavoured stuff which I hate even though my old man invented it)

Cheers
Dave

Ardbeg 10 year old
Espresso
Mudgee/Mclaren Vale Shiraz
Helm Riesling

Depends on the situation...
At home:
Water
Tea
Coffee
Ginger Beer
Bottle of red wine (I'm no wine snob but make it heavy & earthy)
Port
Scotch
Out to Dinner:
Whatever bottle of wine the missus likes, but usually SSB or Verdelho (spelling?).
On Holidays:
Happy Hour Mai Tai cocktail by the pool bar

When I have to stay awake:
Quality coffee & espresso. Actually starting to consider roasting my own beans.
Tea.

When I don't have to stay awake:
Single malt Scotch.
Irish Whiskey.
Bourbon.
Good quality rum (not the cheap crap).
Port.

Every morning starts for me and mrs warra with 2 mugs of tea each (proper tea, not the paper bag crap) over breakfast.
One mug of tea mid morning.
Morning or afternoon tea out I have a hot chocolate.
Never ever do coffee, don't like the taste, although it smells OK.
With lunch, it's Lapsang Souchong for me.

A beer or two from about 3 pm on.

Small Pepsi Max with dinner.

We only get into my wine collection if we have friends or rellies over for a meal, or when eating out. I prefer quality well aged reds at least 10 years old, and 10 to 15 years old Riesling or Hunter Semillon.

For a night time sipper, I love the occasional Calvados, or Single Malt.

With lunch, it's Lapsang Souchong for me.
Since you're anti-teabag, where do you get loose leaf lapsang souchong? Only place I've seen it is T2 and their stuff is really timid. Twinings is way better, if you can imagine such a thing.

Since you're anti-teabag, where do you get loose leaf lapsang souchong? Only place I've seen it is T2 and their stuff is really timid. Twinings is way better, if you can imagine such a thing.

The Tea Centre:

http://www.theteacentre.com.au/?gclid=CNif...CFUFKpgodmBMAKA

Lapsang Souchong here:

http://www.theteacentre.com.au/products/Ch...g-Souchong.html

We mostly shop at their Kotara (Newcastle) or Hornsby (Sydney) shops. We don't buy it online, but you could if you're not handy to a shop.

Non alcoholic drinks eh? Sounds interesting.
I'll admit I used to have a keg constantly tied up with a kind of home made mineral water / Gatorade mix - bi-carb, sugar and a little of that lite salt, which I think is about a 50 / 50 mix of potassium chloride.
Now I just use an old soft drink bottle and a carbonation cap, 300kpa and 200 shakes really gives it a nice carbonic snap.

Not seeing much love for sake here.
Surely someone here must have had a go at making a batch?

Can't drink caffeine as it makes me feel like I'm falling over sideways so tea and coffee is out.

My favourite drink mid afternoon for a protein and energy boost is Ayran that I just about lived on in Turkey (apart from Efes Pilsen) and never got a Delhi Belly the whole time I was in the Middle East. Has to be made with full cream Greek style yogurt.

Lately since my brewery is mothballed I've been on the Twisted Vine 4L Soft Fruity White for three bucks a litre. :eek: :eek:

Back