The difference in Brews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trev

Reaction score
I recently put down two brews of exactly (at least IMHO) of the same kit and the results were outstandingly different, although interestingly both seemed to be well appreciated by the freeloaders.

I used one of the Australian Bitter packs from Morgans together with a Brew Booster in both. I was trying to emulate a VB. The only difference was that I bottle one of them in long necks and the other in Grolsch swing tops.

Well, blow me down but they're quite different and with the exception of the bottling method I believe I made them close enough to the same.

As far as I can recall the brewing temps where the same, I didn't rack either of them but I wonder what happened.

Any clues would be appreciated.

( from now on I think I'm going to build a cryogenically controlled enclosure for housing the wort and only use vestal virgins as accomplices! - either that or I'll start to do some partial mashes)

Trev

If you did everything exactly the same.. i mean down to say 10grams of each yeah then it could come down to sterilisation.. maybe infection.. not sealing properly.. ummn maybe sifting the malt etc.. ummn if you made it all in one batch and then added the stuff.. or two different batches.. boiling times.. eg hot break.. lots of variables.
Ummn or could be extraterristrial(sp?) influence.. oooooooohhh...

Vindaloo said:
And why the hell were you trying to emulate VB? :)

V.
LOL - i'm waiting for an answer on that as well :)

I've used swing top grolsh style bottles a couple of times and have noticed a difference in taste also.
I put it down to one of three things, either it is what I've eaten or my drinking habits up to drinking that particular beer or the rubber seal reacts weird with my cleaning agent or the green bottles react different to my storage methods (and not my storage isn't in sun light).

Cheers,
Doc

the difference may have been in the age of the kits or more probably the yeasts you were using , were the yeasts "fresh" ie; did they come with a kit or were they bought seperately , how old were the kits?
i have found if you get a fresh batch of dehydrated yeasts and rehydrate prior to pitching you will get just about the smae results even if you slightly change some of the ingrediants ( dry malt extract )

:chug:

simon

OK, Ok - I'll answer the question.

I was trying to make a VB taste-alike for my 20 year old son. You see I've always drunk Tooheys Old and really don't like VB. I've made many kits of Old style ales and all but one have worked out well. So I thought I'd show him just how close we could get with a VB.

I thought that if I could get a batch that he liked, then he'd do his damndest to find me lots and lots of long necks so I can more and more and more and more....... and finally have an opportunity to let some age for more that a few microseconds.

Mind you, he appreciated it enough that he bought me a case of Grolsch for Father's Day so I could get some more swing top bottles, and yes for whatever reason it did taste better in the swing top, some folks commented that it was akin to the Cascade rather than a VB.

Thanks everybody for your replies. This Forum is a lot of hard work what with the typing and all I'm building up a sweat. Maybe I should knock the top off a few, purely for fluid replacement purposes?

Regards,
Trev

sounds like you may be a fisherman looking for the rite bait :D
good fishing :lol:

I've used swing top grolsh style bottles a couple of times and have noticed a difference in taste also.
I put it down to one of three things, either it is what I've eaten or my drinking habits up to drinking that particular beer or the rubber seal reacts weird with my cleaning agent or the green bottles react different to my storage methods (and not my storage isn't in sun light).

Cheers,
Doc

They had a box of 20 Grolsch swingtops for $10 at the local op shop, but they don't take eftpos and when I got back with a note they had gone <_<

gravedigging.jpeg

:icon_cheers: :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

You on the midnight train today Bribie?

At least a third of threads nowadays seem to be necros so I'm just getting with the strength. :icon_drunk:

They tell me someone is experimenting with brewing using just a bag and a pot. Wow sounds like the way of the future.

I hate it when my VB clones don't turn out horse-pissy enough too! :p

Back