The Corona Virus (COVID 19) Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I missing something or does it all seem a bit over blown with lots of media hysteria?
You are only going to die if you are old and/ or have some existing health issue. The mortality rate is more than the flu but not dramatically so.

Don't downplay it.

WHO's calculated reported mortality rate is now 3.4 percent. about 35 times that of the present seasonal flu. What do you consider "dramatic?" In either case there are unereported mild cases, but by definition we don't know how many. Yes, the rate is higher among the elderly and people with issues, but the rate is still higher than flu among men in their thirties. Children do quite well with it, but that may make them carriers.

Good news is that it does not appear to be as contagious as flu. Maybe look for outbreaks popping up here and there for some time to come, rather than a sweeping epidemic. So far rapid spread has only occurred where temperatures are fairly cool. Yes, that includes northern Italy and NW Iran (Tehran and Qom are at altitude) this time of year. Like most flu outbreaks, it may be seasonal, but for the time being that is little help down under.

They are having a good laugh in the UK at the Aussies panic buying toilet paper.
25501880-8071359-image-a-12_1583275201951.jpg

Myself, Partner and 2 friends are suspected to have had it and are now recovered. Picked it up on our japan trip. Took about 2.5weeks to recover was pretty nasty but in our cases wasn't life threatening

Well returned to Coles today to get some Wallaby bread flour, zilch, rice on shelves zilch, what is wrong with people? Rang around Woolworths stores in our area no bread flour, Hindustani Imports in Dandenong have it will go first thing in the morning, offered to pay now and pick up tomorrow was assured there is no need, though it has been moving.
This all reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where someone was spotted eating a Mars Bar or such like, days later everyone was doing the same. Doesn't take much for the sheep to get on the band wagon, my wife tells me pasta was off the shelves too.
464343d34d25ba55f336a562eb58317a.jpg

Don't downplay it.

WHO's calculated reported mortality rate is now 3.4 percent. about 35 times that of the present seasonal flu. What do you consider "dramatic?" In either case there are unereported mild cases, but by definition we don't know how many. Yes, the rate is higher among the elderly and people with issues, but the rate is still higher than flu among men in their thirties. Children do quite well with it, but that may make them carriers.

Good news is that it does not appear to be as contagious as flu. Maybe look for outbreaks popping up here and there for some time to come, rather than a sweeping epidemic. So far rapid spread has only occurred where temperatures are fairly cool. Yes, that includes northern Italy and NW Iran (Tehran and Qom are at altitude) this time of year. Like most flu outbreaks, it may be seasonal, but for the time being that is little help down under.
I see your point however I'd say that panic buying toilet roll is "dramatic". The calculated mortality rate is based on reported cases. The actual cases is likely to be a fair bit higher thus reducing the mortality rate.

Can you imagine what would happen if it was reported that a massive fleet of a certain nation's battleships was headed to our shores? This panic buying is pissweak. Mind you, I may be accused of doing a bit of panic brewing lately. Things will calm down and we'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Religion and politics guys, two things you do not discuss in a pub, although it's hard to ignore a cocktail swilling God botherer waddling around burned out towns forcibly grabbing people to shake their hands whilst claiming on UK tv that "it's all under control and we don't need any help" just give me 30 seconds with the F'g useless piece of shit. As for "the electorate" weal, people get the politicians they deserve, so all those toilet paper/flour grabbing folks voted apparently for the same principals that you hold dear, sorta grabs you by the boo boo don't it ;)

Here are some facts from a few days ago

Everyone take a breath... you don’t need more toilet paper! That won’t help with the Coronavirus BUT HERES SOME INFORMATION THAT WILL!

✔️ 82,000 People are sick with Coronavirus at the moment, of which 77,000 are in China.
This means that if you are not in or haven't recently visited China, this should eliminate 94% of your concern.

If you do contract Coronavirus, this still is not a cause for panic because:
81% of the Cases are MILD
14% of the Cases are MODERATE
Only 5% of the Cases are CRITICAL

Which means that even if you do get the virus, you are most likely to recover from it.

Some have said, “but this is worse than SARS!”. SARS had a fatality rate of 10% while COVID-19 has a fatality rate of 2%

Moreover, looking at the ages of those who are dying of this virus, the death rate for the people UNDER 50 years of age is only 0.2%

This means that if you are under 50 years of age and don't live in China - you are more likely to win the lottery (which has a 1 in 45,000,000 chance)

Let’s take one of the worst days so far, the 10th of February, when 108 people in CHINA died of Coronavirus.

On the same day:
26,283 people died of Cancer
24,641 people died of Heart Disease
4,300 people died of Diabetes
Suicide took 28 times more lives than the virus did.

Mosquitoes kill 2,740 people every day,
HUMANS kill 1,300 fellow humans every day,
Snakes kill 137 people every day,
Sharks kill 2 people a year.

Let’s tackle problems that matter! Like in Australia one woman a week is murdered by her current or former partner.

The panic buyers did me a favour, 5 kg of Wallaby bread flour Coles and Woolies generally around $12 for a 5 kg bag. Hindustani Imports $32.60 for a 25 kg bag of Wallaby flour. Win win, thank you, you panic merchants.

The panic buyers did me a favour, 5 kg of Wallaby bread flour Coles and Woolies generally around $12 for a 5 kg bag. Hindustani Imports $32.60 for a 25 kg bag of Wallaby flour. Win win, thank you, you panic merchants.
Wallaby flour? is it made from real wallabies?

Back