The Corona Virus (COVID 19) Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1640683799545.png

@ Yankinoz

Go for it mate.

Plenty of idiots in the US (and here for that matter)!

Just a comment on vaccines from someone who’s had a bit of exposure to severe COVID over the last 2 years.

I work directly with COVID patients in ICU and other areas of one of the major Victorian COVID hospitals. From an at the coal face perspective I have seen the effectiveness of the vaccine program. There are very few fully vaccinated people who end up in hospital with COVID and even fewer who end up getting proper sick in ICU. All of the sickest people I’ve been involved with have all been unvaccinated (and almost all chose not to be vaccinated). Those who have been vaccinated and do contract are far less likely to get severe disease and to pass it on (well to the alpha/delta variants at least). They are also far less likely to develop the long COVID syndrome.

With respect to evidence there are a number of peer reviewed articles available from reputable sources like the NEJM/Lancet which report the results of ongoing RCTs/clinical trials which show the vaccines are effective and safe in the short term (and I consider the 1:3 000 000 chance of dying from a rare blood clotting disorder barely worth mentioning, given the background rate of death from car accidents is around 2-3:100000 - the media has a lot to answer for for this one). These articles appear when you search via your usual search engine

I’ll concede we don’t know the long term safety data, but I’m willing to take the risk, given the burden that the long COVID syndrome is having on people.

I’ll continue to trust the experts I work with on the vaccines and public health measures, just as they trust me to look after their relatives when they are critically ill. I’ll also take notice of what is published in reputable medical journals. I try and avoid opinions, as they mostly come from people with an axe to grind, who wouldn’t know the first thing about critically appraising a robust piece of evidence so choose to do their research on Facebook.

JD
What is the current protocol for treating covid positive patients prior to needing hospital care and what is it once in hospital?

What is the current protocol for treating covid positive patients prior to needing hospital care and what is it once in hospital?

I can't speak for those people in the community, as I only work in hospital.

With respect to hospital management where I work (I suspect it is similar at most other health services):

Everyone who presents is considered to have COVID until proven otherwise, although there is a risk stratification process based on where they live, recent contacts, symptoms and how they have presented to hospital. So, if you get pissed while brewing, spill your wort and burn your legs you'll be considered lower risk than someone presenting with respiratory symptoms/fevers etc. If you need admission you will get a PCR test and be required to isolate if considered high risk. Everyone who is admitted has to be tested. ED functions as if everyone has COVID and they wear full PPE for all patient contact (as there has been a number of asymptomatic cases presenting with other ailments). The operating theatres also presume you have COVID if you don't have a negative PCR. COVID positive theatre cases are a real challenge, as there is limited gear in the room (only the absolute necessary equipment) and depending on what you need it can take a a bit of time to source.

For those presenting for elective surgery/obstetrics you have to have a negative PCR result within 72 hours (I think) and the isolate at home until you rock up.

If you're COVID positive and need admission you'll either go to the general COVID isolation ward, or if sick enough, the designated COVID ICU. You're considered COVID cleared after a certain period (it was 21 days at one stage, but not sure what it is now) and then you get put back in a general ward if you still need hospital care. You will still test positive for quite a while after the infection has resolved though (I think it is for a few months).

If you've got COVID there's a bunch of treatments you get (steroids/monoclonal antibody therapy/antibiotics) which depend on how sick you are.

I'm sure this will all change, given the current upsurge in cases.

Latest posts

Back