'the Complete Homebrew Beer Book' By George Hummel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kierent

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I got given this book for Christmas and having read through it a bit it looks to be great with 200 recipes- all partials. I'm keen to give some a go and will be soon. The bit at the start about getting started was a good refresher too.

But I thought I'd ask to see if anyone's used it/tried and of the recipes? Here's a link to the book: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Homebrew-Be...l/dp/077880268X . Looks like it was published in March 2011 so it's probably not that well known yet.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I might pick a copy of this up.

Are the measurements in metric?

200 recipes is a lot.

I have no idea but given "Publisher: ROBERT ROSE INC, Canada" and I believe Canada is using the metric system, then the chances are it most likely is.

Looking for a beginners All Grain Book:

Hello,

Hope you don't mind me hijacking the thread.
I have been brewing kits & bits and partial for a long while. I was never happy with just kit and always added loads of hops and some grains. Now I want to jump on board and go All Grain.

I keep hearing how easy it is to do all grain brewing but have always been a bit overwhelmed with technical jargon etc.
Anyway I thought I might get some advice on a comprehensive book which gives easy steps for beginners all grain brewing.
Is this book a good start or do you guys recommend something else?
Does this book contain lots of photos of the step by step process?
Is the book aimed at all grain brewers or mostly partial/kits and bits?
Any other help would be welcome.

Thanks Heaps!!

Can't help with the AG book but there's plenty of good info on here. There's a good how-to thread for starting AG actually, not sure who did it but it's pretty easily found.

Re the recipes, they are in metric and imperial. They all look very easy to follow too so I'm sure there's some good ones in there.

Yeah I think it was written by Jace from the Adelaide Hills area if thats the one your talking about. I printed it out and was pretty helpfull when I first started, it is in the AG thread somwhere.

Whenever we are looking for books, we go to booko.com.au and it searches pretty much all the book sellers and gives you a rundown on prices with postage etc.

Pretty handy.

Hello,

I have been brewing kits & bits and partial for a long while. I was never happy with just kit and always added loads of hops and some grains. Now I want to jump on board and go All Grain.

I keep hearing how easy it is to do all grain brewing but have always been a bit overwhelmed with technical jargon etc.
Anyway I thought I might get some advice on a comprehensive book which gives easy steps for beginners all grain brewing.

Thanks Heaps!!

Hey mate, if you are already brewing and have the cold side down pat (fermenting etc) then your best source of info for your next step is either of the two following threads:

NickJD 20ltr Stove top thread

Bribie G - Guide to BIAB in an Urn

I am about to kick off my maiden AG using an Urn on boxing day... I am probably in your position currently and have been doing extract brews and FWKs and just got a Keg System and now about to move to AG... I have learnt everything from this site and the above Tutorials.... Get some equipment and jump in and then refine your art as you go :icon_cheers:

Camo

Hello,

Thanks Heaps!!

Where in Sydney are you? If you watch a batch being made it will do more for you than reading a book.

That said, how to brew by john palmer is a great book. The first addition is available online for free HERE It got me started and I still reference to it from time to time.

HERE is another good reference for AG BIAB

Thirsty Boy wrote a good BIAB FAQs which I printed off but I can't seem to find it again now. It was written sometime ago.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, that being the case, how many (words) is a video worth? There is some good stuff on utube for seeing AG brewing done. Mostly 3v rather than BIAB, but for me it really made the basics clear watching a few of those. Of course, books are greet too.

Latest posts

Back