'the Brewery That Changed America'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feldon

caveat brasiator
Reaction score
Magical_Snap___2012.03.03_16.13___002.jpg

FYI - story in Friday's London Guardian newspaper.

Magical_Snap___2012.03.03_15.49___001.jpg

Full story here: http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2012/03/02/...hanged-america/

Cool. APAs dominate the world's homebrew too.

Wish Australia would change the beer laws...

Correction: story was actually in the London Independent

+1 NJD.

If it wasnt for sierra nevada pale, there would have been no craft beer revolution, no little creatures pale ale, no good beers anywhere.

All hail sierra nevada!!!

Cool. APAs dominate the world's homebrew too.

Wish Australia would change the beer laws...

What do you mean Nick? What do our beer laws state that need changing and why?

I think it's the excise coupled with Australia's Tall Poppy syndrome that keeps us down.

What do you mean Nick? What do our beer laws state that need changing and why?

Dude have you been living under a rock?

Microbreweries are slugged with more redtape & taxes than you can poke a stick at, while boutique winemakers are practically given a free ride. Politicians spend their weekends touring the wine-regions around Canberra, rather than drinking craftbeer (my theory) and so we have a massive imbalance for two industries which are essentially the same thing.

Checkout: http://fairgocraftbeer.com.au/

yes and not to forget what these brewery's helped make other great brewery's like rogue and Sam Adams.

its amazing to here from an old podcast from the BN where Serra is now, i mean there own train
station and the energy recapturing at there brewery. it does make you wonder where our craft brewerys
would be it they were competing on a even field?

any way, has anyone had a shot at cloning rouge american amber? awesome beer

Dude have you been living under a rock?

Microbreweries are slugged with more redtape & taxes than you can poke a stick at, while boutique winemakers are practically given a free ride. Politicians spend their weekends touring the wine-regions around Canberra, rather than drinking craftbeer (my theory) and so we have a massive imbalance for two industries which are essentially the same thing.

Checkout: http://fairgocraftbeer.com.au/

Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware that microbreweries had to pay more excise while winemakers don't.

Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware that microbreweries had to pay more excise while winemakers don't.

Yep. I saw a bottle of wine in BWS the other day on special for THREE dollars something!

Now can you ever imagine seeing a 750ml bottle of a >5%ABV beer going for anywhere near this cheap? Let alone if the beer was 12.5% as was the wine?

have you never noticed craft beer from overseas (yes even the really good brands like SN and german beers) are cheaper per bottle or 6 pack to buy then australian craft beers?? and they have to be shipped properly (if the place buying them does or not I dont know) and they will have to pay GST ontop (unless they bring in less then $1000 worth but doubt it) yet its still cheaper then buying it when its made 50km up the road

have you never noticed craft beer from overseas (yes even the really good brands like SN and german beers) are cheaper per bottle or 6 pack to buy then australian craft beers?? and they have to be shipped properly (if the place buying them does or not I dont know) and they will have to pay GST ontop (unless they bring in less then $1000 worth but doubt it) yet its still cheaper then buying it when its made 50km up the road

yep.

love 'em or hate 'em, but Dan's near me sells Pilsner Urquell for $14 a sixer, and last time i looked Carlton (insert insignificant variant here) for more than that....

something's not right...

yep they want us to brew our own. And I bet thats taxed to more then it should as well as its a brewing ingredient.

dad said when they went to NZ the beer was so cheap and said a guy walked in with emtpy bottles and he goes what are you doing? the guy said you buy a carton for $30 and if you bring the bottles back you get it for $20 (prices would of been different as cant remember the exact amount) but its a good idea and obviously there tax isnt as much.

yep they want us to brew our own. And I bet thats taxed to more then it should as well as its a brewing ingredient.

dad said when they went to NZ the beer was so cheap and said a guy walked in with emtpy bottles and he goes what are you doing? the guy said you buy a carton for $30 and if you bring the bottles back you get it for $20 (prices would of been different as cant remember the exact amount) but its a good idea and obviously there tax isnt as much.

Rogue is very expensive here in the states. How much do you get for a 4 x .33L pak of Ayinger-Celebrator? We go $15 here.

Breweries are subsidized in Germany from what I here. Beer is cheaper than soda

Fix the tax issues on wine, cask wine and bottle wine. Then re-invest it into supporting an ongoing consumer orientated industry which supports new ideals and health.

There is NO future in 5L of wine with a tap @ 14% alc vol. for $10. There never was, and there never will be. Remove the destruction from our society and reap the rewards.

Swap a crate.

Breweries are subsidized in Germany from what I here. Beer is cheaper than soda

Yep, used to be. There is a new law though that's meant to prevent this from happening. Now water has to be always cheaper than beer.
You still find quite a few venues where this is not the case though, screwed if you just want to drink a water to cool you down.

have you never noticed craft beer from overseas (yes even the really good brands like SN and german beers) are cheaper per bottle or 6 pack to buy then australian craft beers??
Maybe if you only shop at Dan Murphys - otherwise the point above is complete bullshit.

Rogue is very expensive here in the states.
Yeah, we pay comparable prices for Rogue here. Never understood it, personally. I do like a lot of that brewery's beers (and all of their attitude even if not the beer) but they do cost far too much in their own market.

Latest posts

Back