The Brew Shed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewkid

Reaction score
hi guys

ive just moved into a place that has a small timber/fibro shed [rental place]

the shed has no power

what should i do id much prefer to have some power out there for temp control

i suppose running an extension across the fence is a no no

what are my realistic options

would it cost much to have power run out there?

cheers

the big thing is that it's a rental so anything permanent you do would have to be approved by the agent/owner
how far would you have to run an extension? how long would you have power on in the shed?

My old garden shed I just ran an extension when i needed it. this was onky for getting the light on whilst searching the shed at night though

If you willing to pay for it yourself then I don't see the problem.

id be running a fridge in there 2 weeks at a time it would spend a fair bit of time turned off

one of my heavy duty leads would reach there easy if i got a power point put on back wall of house [only because there is no way to run a lead outside and close the house up]

i know id have to get permission from owner but i cant see that being a problem

she is letting me put another shed up i might even get a power point put under the house and run from there only prob with that is its bricked in with only a little door to crawl in there

i just have no idea what way to go and i currently have no beer except a case of XXXX gold that was given to me by my wife's friend yeah yeah i know but its FREE BEER [well sort of beer in a way i reckon its not much better than goat piss]

[disclaimer: for the record i have no idea what goat piss tastes like just making a point]

If you willing to pay for it yourself then I don't see the problem.

Still must go through landlord.

Be wary tho, When I had a small aircon installed to an investment I owned the sparky found some wiring that was out of date/stuffed (possibly even the earth leakage laws changed, memory is not working well tonight) and it cost me an extra $300 for him to fix other problems. $1200 job turns into $1500 job.

i just have no idea what way to go and i currently have no beer except a case of XXXX gold that was given to me by my wife's friend yeah yeah i know but its FREE BEER [well sort of beer in a way i reckon its not much better than goat piss]

[disclaimer: for the record i have no idea what goat piss tastes like just making a point]

Goat piss is cheaper than XXXX Gold, unless its its free XXXX.....blind tasting, probably only the smell would give it away.

HEY, you there, get away from that goat... :eek:

I run a dirty big extension cord out the laundry window, along the fence with plastic hooks to the shed. I have a bit of dowel stuck in the window at the top and bottom to stop anyone opening it. Its pretty rare its not running and no drama so far :ph34r:

I run a dirty big extension cord out the laundry window, along the fence with plastic hooks to the shed. I have a bit of dowel stuck in the window at the top and bottom to stop anyone opening it. Its pretty rare its not running and no drama so far :ph34r:

thats what i pretty much planned to do

good idea the plastic hooks

what are you running out there?

all the windows in my house swing outwards no way to lock them open a little bit from what i can tell here is a pretty dogdy pic i just took

Photo0471.jpg

stupid picture is sideways :angry:

anyone know of a way to lock this open a little bit without doing anything too drastic as i rent this place.

cheers.

buy your own house :p

I figured I might as well pay of my house then some one elses also figured I can do shit to stuff that bugs me :p

hard to say with that picture, But at a guess anything you can do will involve tampering with the hinge or slider arm if it has one. Or you will have to get a barrel bolt lock with a key and install it so you can push it into the jamb when its open a fraction then lock it so no one can pull the bolt down.

If you had a external power point use that but other then that at a guess you would have to modify things.

buy your own house :p

there is no way i can buy a house im only on a minimum wage need a better paying job might have to upgrade my licence i wouldnt mind driving trucks instead of the van.....

[edit] there is no external power point might have to look at getting one anyone know what that would cost roughly?

yeah I am close to minimum wage have been since moving to newcastle. They only pay like $1-2 over the minimum rate. I have a HR licence and I cannot get a job driving trucks I have applied for about 20 truck driving jobs in the last month and nothing. They all say you need 2 years experience minimum with the type of truck your driving. Now thats hard and impossible if you only got your licence 6 months ago hand just drive drill, rod and water trucks around a paddock lol.

If you really want to drive trucks get into the mines I dont think I could do it but you only need a car licence to start. Think its about 80k a year then when they pay you to get trained its like 120k.

a external point would not be much if you had a existing powerpoint on the external wall that you could piggy back off. At a guess the call out might be $150 so prob $200 shouldnt take longer then a hour if they put it where a existing internal point is

and they reckon in sydney everyone is having a hard time getting a driver

id say the mines are out for me id love the cash but have 2 young kids unless i could get into appin colliery.

hi guys

ive just moved into a place that has a small timber/fibro shed [rental place]

the shed has no power

what should i do id much prefer to have some power out there for temp control

i suppose running an extension across the fence is a no no

what are my realistic options

cheers

I moved last June to a new rental, shed had no water gas or elec,

Water: ran 25m of each for hot & cold water from laundry (drilled holes which I will fil when I leave, I have no drain on this side of the house so have resorted to 2x 30L wheelie bins under my home made sink unit.

Gas: using cylinder gas, which I hate for its carbon residue,

Electricity: a workmate is a qualified electrician & did a matess rates of $400 for 2 full days labour & all materials. This included, upgrading the main fuseboard to modern standards, running elec all the way under the house, up the other side & accross to shed (with safety wire) 1 light + 4 internal sockets, 2 external sockets in car port, + line to second shed with 2 sockets where I have brew fridge.

I didnt ask landlord permission, simply sent him the elec certificate, & he should be grateful his prehistoric mains fuseboard has been updated. I wil strip it all out when I leave if he doesnt want to keep it. Only regret was the shed is fed on 10amp, this means when I use my immersion element which is exactly 10amp I cant run anything else. so 15 amp would have been better., I can circumvent this by running extn cable from house for element if my brew fridge is running.

hope this gives you some food for thought

ive got the day off the missus is sick and i gotta keep the kids away from her so ill be seeing if i can work out a way to lock the bloody window open a little bit to run a lead to the shed and ive got some old whipper snippers to put on ebay [my other hobby is collecting mowers the trimmers ive found when i get a few i just sell them on ebay]

Its not too bad.

I've drunk in your bar and you've handed me a beer and described it as 'not too bad'!! :blink:

It was beer, wasn't it? :unsure: Thought your goat was a little on the friendly side...

If you have an internal powerpoint on the same wall you want to install an external powerpoint it will make things a lot easier and probably cheaper.

If you do run an extension lead make sure you loop it at each end so when it rains water running along the lead doesn't run all the way to the end of the lead and into the plug.

Latest posts

Back