• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

The Big Queensland Yeast Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My understanding is it's a copy (or same strain?) as the Wyeast 1272 American Ale II.

Ozbrewer WY1056 cali ale
Hoops?
Mobrien Wyeast 3068 Weizen
Als_world Wyeast 1318 London Ale III
Batz?
Tidalpete London ale WY1028
Ross?
AndrewQld White Labs Hefeweizen IV (WLP380).
Snow Whitelabs California V

do we need to wait till december for this, we can do it at my place on a monday night?...a few beers and some pizza?

I'm up for pizza and beer! just not any time on the next two weeks, as I'm moving :D

So do we have a standard method for preperation and dividing the cultures up? I'd suggest the bulk buy bottles be the container of choice, that way we all end up with a nice set. It would be good to have a standard starter and step protocol, so we end up with yeast of similar quantity and wuality in each containers. What do you all think?

Matt

Ok I have

2633 Oktoberfest
2007 Pilsen
1056 American Ale
1096 British Ale
1028 Londen Ale
1762 Belgian Abby 2 (thanks Hoops)
2206 Bavarian Lager
2112 California Lager

Really like some 1728

Batz

Has anyone got an irish ale yeast to add?
and a wit?

and a good lager yeast? maybe for an octoberfest :D

now i'm just dreamin'

:D

I have the wit and irish ale on plates at the moment so when they grow up big and strong I will make up a starter and split it.

Good point on containers - should we make say a large starter and split into stubbies, or split into the test tubes (the test tubes are pretty small and would require making a starter from them)

For those who wish to streak and want theirs in one of the test tubes under water I can easily make a few up as I haven't done mine yet so 5 or 6 isn't much more work.

Hoops

I will be up for this for sure. :beerbang:

my yeast supplies should be kicking in by the time of the Xmas case so I am up for it for defo, count me in.

:super:

Great idea.

mobrien said:
and a wit?

now i'm just dreamin'

[post="72606"][/post]​

2633 Oktoberfest yeast is possiably a fair choice for an Oktoberfest :blink:

2112 California lager yeast is a good all round lager yeast to

Batz :ph34r:

I will have a Wit yeast by the december day I can bring that along with the hefe.
Can't make it earlier for pizza :( unfortunately.

Andrew

Batz said:
mobrien said:
and a wit?

now i'm just dreamin'

[post="72606"][/post]​

2633 Oktoberfest yeast is possiably a fair choice for an Oktoberfest :blink:

2112 California lager yeast is a good all round lager yeast to

Batz :ph34r:
[post="72614"][/post]​
for those that are streaking/slanting remember that the oktoberfest is actually a combination of yeasts so will be no good for slants/plates as you will isolate the cultures. A starter would be OK though.

Hoops

Put me down for the yeast swap

I haveWyeast 2633 Octoberfest on its way to me at the moment.

Altstart

I am definately interested but dont have much that I can swap at present where I can assure purity except for products that I have recultured from the bottle. The last couple samples I obtain did not yeild the results I was looking for. For the platers out there try grown out a plate to do a large colony analysis. Hoops if you remember those super sizes plates I got from livingstone are great for large colony analysis, the field is so big you might consider a game of footy.

Ozbrewer WY1056 cali ale
Hoops?
Mobrien Wyeast 3068 Weizen
Als_world Wyeast 1318 London Ale III
Batz?
Tidalpete London ale WY1028
Ross?
AndrewQld White Labs Hefeweizen IV (WLP380).
Snow Whitelabs California V
Altstart Wyeast 2633

have i missed anyone.....if so add your name and what yeast to the list....cut and paste

i think the easyest way to get these out to each other is in the plastic tubes, split from a starter, that way the starters can be made a week or so before, then for the platers its ready to streak, and for anyone else its a matter of stepping up again into a fresh staarter

Hey guys,
I will be interested to see how this experiment goes. Certainly an interesting idea. My concern is that not all Hbers maintain the same conditions of sanitation. This can result in some interesting brews.
I suggest a great idea would be for each person to buy a new smack pack/tube and on the day split them up under "sterile" conditions (ie. boiled/cooled wort and sanitised transfer tubes/pipettes). That way you would know what you are getting.
If everyone brings along some of those sterile test tubes on the day it will be alot of fun, help each other learn about proper aseptic techniques and most importantly it will ensure that everyone gets what they think they are getting.
Good luck
Darren

good idea darren, but i haven payed for yeast, except some dry yeast as a back up in 5-6 years......and i can do this because i know my conditions are clean,

ozbrewer said:
good idea darren, but i haven payed for yeast, except some dry yeast as a back up in 5-6 years......and i can do this because i know my conditions are clean,
[post="72656"][/post]​

Ozbrewer,
I am a paranoid brewer (and an microbiologist) and a days work (brewing) is too much to risk a rogue "yeast". I wouldn't trust my culture techniques let alone anyone elses.
If it comes out of a pack/tube you can be sure of what you are getting.
There are so many variables in brewing. It is always re-assuring knowing that the most important aspect, the yeast is right.
Darren

Darren

that is my main concern too which is why I would probably use the yeast to make a starter, check it's OK then streak the yeast to select some good colonys for long term storage

Hoops

Back