The Best Way To Label Your Bottles!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Reaction score
I have been out of the brewing game for a few years now but i came across a solution to the pain and agony of trying to label your brews in bottles. First off the biggest pain is getting labels on and off, then the shear effort involved in doing so. I know i use to just write on the cap. BUT the solution is here......

BLACKBOARD PAINT!!!!!!!

Just remove all old labels, mask up the area you want and spray away!

You will then be able to change your labels with the a quick wipe (coke also works) then rewrite the new label!!!

Im sorry if this topic has already been posted but i think it was a great idea and well suited to the home brewing game.

Hope this helps anyone out there and happy brewing!

Nice idea but i wouldn't want paint around when i soak my bottles to clean and reuse, say in a 20L pail full of napisan etc.

I'm boring, write some type of identifying letters on the cap.

I got 500 swing tags (brown cardboard on a short string loop) that I write on and hang them around the bottle neck. No cleaning, too easy.
I write the name of the beer on one side and the date/s it was brewed and bottled as well as the abv on the back. This way the same tags can be used for several batches if I want.
McStoot5.jpg

I just keep a piece of paper with the brew number on with each batch, currently 22 batches.

I use 19mm stickers from labelsonsheets.com.au for my bottlecaps.

Scotty, i think that's an awesome idea.

i reckon it'd look pretty sweet too. got any pics? I've got some blackboard paint, so may give it a crack too.

i only bottle left overs from kegging, so when washing, i don't soak the whole bottle as DazDog is worried about.

Al

awesome idea. I also really like the idea of the of the tags, though not really reusable.

Currently rocking a post it note per milk crate....

If you want to write on the bottle, why not just use liquid chalk pens?

Plenty of restaurants use them on their glass boards. Easy to wash off. Just make sure the bottles are dry before you writing, and as they come in different colours, if they run a little you can still work out which brew is which.

My $0.02
:icon_cheers:

I just write the batch number on the cap in permanent marker. Not one for labels, feels like beer admin.

I just write the batch number on the cap in permanent marker. Not one for labels, feels like beer admin.

+1 I keep all the details of each batch in my notebook and just remember which batch is which (generally only drinking a few batches at once)

That's my method too.

I also have a blackboard in the garage/brewery, and the batch numbers and basic details get written on the board. Easy to see what is what.

Of course, full details are in BeerSmith, backed up to an external hard drive in case of a crash.

I just Use avery stick on labels. They soak off very easily and leave no residue. Cheap too!

I use sticky lables on the caps. I tried marking the caps but as I mostly use swing tops I got sick of washing the black texta off each time I cleaned bottles. Little round sticky lables come off nice and easy and if I forget to take one off i just plonk the new one on top of the old.

For beer I give away I and know I won't get the bottles back I use a white out pen.

I used to print out labels and stick them on with milk using a pastry brush. It seemed to work pretty well.

I couldn't be arsed doing that anymore and just use the permanent-marker-on-cap method.

i found that if you peel the labels off before the bottles are wet they came off clean.

Back