The Best Home Brew Bottle Ever

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daveee

Reaction score
Well my mum likes to go out to markets and the like.
She normally comes home with crap, but on the weekend, she came back with the bottle of all home brew bottles!

Behold.

swingtopimages2.gif

It's the one in the middle. 1.5l swingtop. It is much bigger than the picture indicates. It's wider than a normal 1l stein and its 40+ cm high!

Im trying to track down more of these! I think I'm in love!

BTW, does anyone know a good place to buy 750ml glass beer bottles? I am after about 100 (You know, longnecks, longies, tallies) I'm in Sydney. (But come to Canberra every so often!)

I bought one of these as a birthday present for a friend. Of course I was hoping to get the empty back for homebrewing. It was $15 at a local bottlo.

In a similar vein, I was in another bottleshop yesterday and noticed a World Cup Rugby-themed magnum with cork....

heinekenmagnum1.jpg

Not bad looking, good as a souvenier (will you get one Snow?) but not that easy to recork.

Don't worry about the cork, you can buy champagne crown seals. All you need is a tirage (i think that's right) bell, to fit on your bottle capper. (about $15)

I regularly use normal champagne bottles (easy to source, strong, but hard to get the labels off)

Although they look attractive, I don't think I'd use them much, as they're too big. My souvenir of the tournament will be the framed photo of the Wallabies holding the William Web-Ellis Cup!

Hey Snow, I thought all us Leaguies (mungoes??) were buggering up the team and were going to cost the Wallabies the cup? So the media down here keeps telling us anyway. Hope they're wrong. Carn the Wallabies!!

Shawn. :chug:

If Lote can hang on to the ball for once and Wendell can stop trying to chat up the crowd, we're in with a chance....

Boots said:
Don't worry about the cork, you can buy champagne crown seals. All you need is a tirage (i think that's right) bell, to fit on your bottle capper. (about $15)

I regularly use normal champagne bottles (easy to source, strong, but hard to get the labels off)
I've started collecting champaign bottles for this very reason. Where can you get the bells for the bench cappers. I've been looking everywhere. I have a "SuperAutomatica" capper.

PoMo,

I got mine from a local HBS (brewmaker ??) in adelaide - it has since shut down, but I know the guy opened a new one on Nth East Rd, at Holden Hill. Don't know if he still sells them. I know a few of the Adelaide guys here have mentioned the store.

Someone like Grain and Grape would surely stock them, they're into wine arne't they?

only cost me like $15 bucks and has the screw in which fits onto the bench cappers.

Cheers

getting labels off is easy !!! just get a big bucket fill with water and put the bottles in it , give it at least a day to soak into the paper and they sould just peel off , if that fails i use a stainless steel scourer for the job ...

getting labels off is easy !!! just get a big bucket fill with water and put the bottles in it , give it at least a day to soak into the paper and they sould just peel off , if that fails i use a stainless steel scourer for the job ...

Hey mate. I really canot see the the connection between you post about removing labels and the original post about certain bottles and their size and how to cap them. :huh:

There are plenty of threads about removing labels on the board.

A lot of my posts from 2004 and earlier now view as blank or full of weirdness. Weird.

yeah wierd

I know it was a long time ago but did you end up getting the Triage bell PM?

Ifso where from?

Daveee,
For empty longnecks try the bottle shop on the corner of Cantebury Rd and Chapel Rd Bankstown, next to the KFC.

For more details you can email me at......

[email protected]

Cheers,
John.......

Very interesting post, considering that my mum came back from a market a few months ago with a 1.5L swingtop bottle!!

Dunno if its the same bottle 'coz the pic is now missing from the original post.

Mine is a Grolsch. Looks just like the normal Grolsch bottle, but way bigger.

If only I had a few more of these, or the 500ml brown swingtop I picked up in Germany for about $2 aussie, with beer in it!!
I Figured a backpack with 40 empty bottles would raise some eyebrows thru airports.....

EDIT: typomania

Hey mate. I really canot see the the connection between you post about removing labels and the original post about certain bottles and their size and how to cap them. :huh:

There are plenty of threads about removing labels on the board.

Johnno.

Try reading the thread closer before bagging people's posts. People are just offering up information, even if it's not what you wanted to hear, and Barramundi was just posting in response to the following...

Little Creatures are now doing Pint sized bottles, 568ml I think and the best bit is you get to drink the beer before putting your own back in the bottle.

Perhaps you should pass it on then!! :rolleyes:

Seriously, Have you done many bottles that way? do they seal/ store well enough?
Seems like a good idea, and when you have a significant other consuming quantities of bubbly like mine the resource cannot be wasted!

FHG

A lot of my posts from 2004 and earlier now view as blank or full of weirdness. Weird.
I'll bet you're using [insert browser thats not internet explorer here]. I've come around a lot of forums using this same forums software that do it on random posts. the old post of yours shows up in firefox as the email link and an "---> arrow. if you look in the source html, the post's contents is still there but there's an improperly closed comment which nukes all of your post up until the next correct comment. IE interprets it differently to basically every other browser (which in my eyes means IE is flat out wrong), and the developers obviously only tested in IE back then so you end up with this situation where the page stuffs up in anything but IE. my little standards compliant rant

Back