The beginning of a new era!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once they are bottled it's best to keep at fermentation temps for 2+ weeks ( I don't touch mine before 3 weeks as a rule).

If you put them in the fridge the secondary fermentation aka carbonating won't occur and you'll have flat beer. Once they are carbed, store at fermentation temps or optimally in the fridge if you have the space.

Cheers for clearing that up Tarhoose.

The plan for tomorrow is dual ferment of a Munich Larger and a cider for the Misses.

The dual begins. Apple Cider and a Munich larger.

I had go of the Bavarian Wheat beer I bottled n Thursday, other than not being ell carbonated it was awesome! Even the wife loves it.

IMG_20140914_221512.jpg

Hi Dale, that must have been a good AG beer that you tried to get you to jump into brewing this seriously! Looking good!
Brew day tomorrow, going to knock out a quick dortmunder.

Sure was. The same bloke made up 50l batch for me and I can hardly keep the fridge door closed with two kegs in there!

What is a dortmunder?

How long can I keep the brew in the fermenter after it has finished fermenting while I wait for some kegs to arrive?

IMG_20140913_110147.jpg

Dortmunder is a golden German lager. It's a bit less bitter than a German pils, and a little bigger in gravity and alcohol. Was originally good for slaking the thirst of iron workers in the Rheinland countryside of Dortmund.

You can download a Brewing Network podcast in the Brewing to Style series, or perhaps search BYO.com for Dortmund Export

Probably the first German style I ever drank, as they had it at the local German Club's Oktoberfest celebrations. The brand was DAB, and it was a remarkably sessionable beer. Also, you can buy Hansa at a few bottlos,.
Goes well with potato pancakes, with salt and sugar. Oh great! Now I got a cravin'.

The fermenters will be fine for a week or two, try not to disturb them too much and the co2 produced by the yeast will protect the beer. Then best thing you could do would be store the fermenter at fridge temp until your kegs arrive. Look up cold crashing.

beercus

country brewer on melbourne street east maitland mate. they give great advice

-Matt

Well, I kegged my first beer yesterday arvo. I must say I am well chuffed with my most recent achievement.

IMG_20140924_164642.jpg

Close enough to it anyway!

On a side note I had a keggerator catastrophe last night. I forgot to tighten the fitting to the tap on the freshly brewed Munich larger as I hooked up the beer line for quick taste and it leaked... EVERYWHERE!

OhOh This could get expensive.

This is my Oktoberfest Bier which has a S-23 yeast and they say the temp should be between 12 and 15 degrees. I am up at 19 to 20. The ice pack on the side didn't really help but I am hoping this contraption will, even though it only has two wraps around the fermenter. Some say a brew fridge is in order (it wasn't the wife that said that).

IMG_20140927_001046.jpg

Gumtree or ebay. $50 to $70 should be tops for a decent sized fermenting fridge, often less if you're prepared to wait and sniff out a deal. That's only a couple of batches of dumped beer

Big W have a wine fridge on half price at $75 - looks big enough to fit a fermentor in - you would just need to double check

You are making great progress so far, Great work !

Back